Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline varun  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2004 22:48:08(UTC)
varun

Does anyone have experience trying to repair a 6646 120v, 30VA transformer. I notice that there are no visible screws or fuses.

Background:

My son was running two trains (with 4 cars each) and controlling the speeds jointly using the 6646 30VA, 120V transformer. The next day I noticed that the variable supply on the transformer doesn't work anymore. It produces about 3 volts. The fixed 18V AC supply is still available ...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by varun
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2004 23:06:20(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hummm, hard to open a 6646, normally they don´t present any troubles, but there are things that can be broke or lose by a hit. To open it check the sides of the transformer, just above the line that seems to divide the case into to halfs there are 4 round "shadows" on the sides(two each), i think that with the right, marklin hidden tool, they can be pushed to release the inside clips that holds the two halfs together, in my case i just drilled of, and later replace by ohers plastics cylinders to close the transformer again .
Once opened check for the inside of the rear connections, because they can be lose, also check a proper contact between the inside part of the knob control and the bobine.
Of course you can always go the Marklin dealer if you don't want to void warranty or you're not sure of what you gonna do.
Mine, a 6647 actually (230V) had the L rear plug lose and i had to open the whole thing to fix it and get a proper connection
Bye
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2004 23:14:28(UTC)
Webmaster

Are you sure you don't have a partial "short" somewhere on the layout? Did you measure the transformer disconnected from the tracks? These transformers normally don't fail so easily, there is built in overload protection, and I find it hard to believe that your son strained it too much - 2 trains are more than fine to run on one transformer... Unless he threw it into a wall or something, but I do not find that very likely... wink

Is there a derailed wagon/loco on the track, is there some other "fun" metal object on the rails somewhere?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2004 23:17:22(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
it seems i forgot the step one of any troubleshooting guide:

"is your device properly connected to the electric supply?"[:p]
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline varun  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2004 23:39:40(UTC)
varun

Webmaster & Francisco:

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes it is connected to the supply and yes I did isolate the transformer from the tracks before measuring the voltages. As I mentioned before, the fixed 18V output is still working. Only the variable is not functional. So perhaps it is an internal connection or the control knob as Francisco has suggested.
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2004 01:07:21(UTC)
Webmaster

Sounds like it, yes... I have never seen this before, but it is of course possible... One of my old 60:s transformers had some fault in the variable resistor after a while, but that "while" was 8 years or so and it was only within a very limited area of the whole span...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline 7gauges  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2004 01:46:21(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
I believe the base of the transformer is attached to the housing with rivets.... if that's the case, drill out the rivets and open it up .... more than likely you will find that a wire soldered to the copper contact on the train controller knob has become disconnected ...reesolder and rivet the case together ... no problem.
Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2004 03:08:02(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi Varun, the "rivets" are some kind of plastic lock. You can drill a 1.0-1.5mm hole, then insert a small screw and pull firmly from it.
If you're lucky, the rivets will be reusable.
Once open, check for a good contact of the cursor against the coil, it could be loose. This failure is common. Also check the wire from cursor to the red output connector, sometimes y brakes.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline varun  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2004 19:26:54(UTC)
varun

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jorge_vilarrubi
<br />Hi Varun, the "rivets" are some kind of plastic lock. You can drill a 1.0-1.5mm hole, then insert a small screw and pull firmly from it.
If you're lucky, the rivets will be reusable.
Once open, check for a good contact of the cursor against the coil, it could be loose. This failure is common. Also check the wire from cursor to the red output connector, sometimes y brakes.
Regards,

Thanks very much to everyone who offered suggestions. I did drill out the plastic rivets as suggested and the problem was indeed the broken wire from the transformer to the rotary controller knob.
Interestingly, the wire used by Marklin for this is quite stiff and is bound to break relatively quickly. I replaced the wire with a more flexible wire provided by Marklin for use with the tracks. Hope this lasts a lot longer..

The rivets were not reusable since I drilled it through based on an earlier suggestion rather than pull it out. But I am hoping the hardware store will have some solution for me this weekend.

biggrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by varun
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2004 02:24:35(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi Varun, glad you could repair your transformer, as for the rivets, they can be easily replaced by anything with the same diameter, in my case some wooden sticks for cocktail purposes...biggrin
Bye