Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Brakeman  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2006 07:18:05(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   

Hello All,
Jeroen's great story of poor-man's Union Pacific F7 made me to join the discussion forum too.
I have a similar project, a poor-man's Santa Fe F7B, using a Märklin frame and Athearn body. Nit-pickers stay away!

UserPostedImage

It all started when I bought a Märklin F7 ABA -set from Ebay. The cab units were 3060 and 4060 as promised, but the B-unit turned out to be something else than a 4063. Somebody had put a plastic Athearn body on a shortened 4060 frame. I guess Mr. Koll would have listed it close to nothing.

UserPostedImage

The body was factory painted but was lacking handrails and other details. Also the bottom tanks in the mid-60's Märklin units was warped, which seems to be common and needed to be fixed. I thought I could do a better job, and started collecting material for the fix-up project.

UserPostedImage

I got an unpainted Athearn Body #30240 for a little bit more than $8. This one has the steam generators as I understand unlike the Märklins. I'm going to need'em when I get my Super Chief coaches!
I also checked out Athearn and Old Varney frames and running gear, but decided to stick with Märklin. The frame is as simple as possible and nobody else has million-mile trucks like Märklin. Actually the 4063 frame is made from the same stamping as 4060, but it's cut shorter in rounded end. In one of the pictures you can see the difference.

I painted the plastic body with Model Master spary paints, and used Decals, Micro Sol and -Set from Microscale to finish it. I found also a Diesel Dress-up kit from Walthers, which had all the needed handrails and windows.
I really like the Farr -intake grilles from Detail Associates which are a must.

In the meantime I got a genuine Märklin 4063 B-unit which now completes my F7 ABBA -setup! All I need now is more power and more driving axles, two is not much. But that'll be another topic.

BR, Juha
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Brakeman
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2006 08:23:59(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Welcome to the forum, Juha !

Really nice job. Thanks for sharing your excellent photos.

Pierre.
Offline pat  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2006 09:00:03(UTC)
pat

Hello and welcome to the forum,Juha
very nice modelling work there
worse things happen at sea
Offline jerdenberg  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2006 09:50:13(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Hi Juha,

Welcome to the forum, and a fine job you did.

Did you convert the A unit to digital? I converted mine with a Tams LD-W-2 decoder, but I am not satisfied with the poorer running characteristics and its energy needs relative to the Big Boys and other modern machines, so I am going to change over to a not-so-poor-man's F7 with a motor+Lokpilot kit I have ordered.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline foumaro  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2006 09:59:14(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Welcome to the forum.Great work and nice photos.biggrin
Offline HueyCE  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2006 12:52:30(UTC)
HueyCE

Welcome to the forum Juha.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline ulf999  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2006 16:42:22(UTC)
ulf999

Welcome to the Forum. Nice pictures. I like your work!
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 14 April 2006 20:50:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hello and welcome to the forum Brakeman.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 14 April 2006 20:52:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline hmsfix  
#10 Posted : 15 April 2006 01:29:43(UTC)
hmsfix

Well come to the forum!

Interesting conversion of a F7B, with the exhaust fumers of the steam generator on the roof, as it should.

As I see there is the special MHI symbol on the lok casing (i.e. the symbol which is nowadays used for MHI, but which has actually been in use since decades). So I suppose it is a 3060/4060 set from the 1960s ?

Hans Martin
Offline Brakeman  
#11 Posted : 16 April 2006 09:07:43(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Thank You Hans Martin and Jeroen,

the 3060 is from 1961 according to the box and still all analog.

BR,
Juha
Offline john black  
#12 Posted : 18 April 2006 17:01:03(UTC)
john black

United States   
Excellent conversion, Juha - congratulations [:p] !!!

John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline rschaffr  
#13 Posted : 18 April 2006 17:12:01(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Nice work, Juha! I may try to follow your lead when I get soem of my other projects done. I recently bought a 3060/4060 combination that is packed away (deosn't look right on my German layout, but I live these loks). I plan to use it for a Christmas layout around the tree. I could use a B unit. I have the 43601 coach, with the 43602,3,4 on backorder. I have an old Athearn A and B unit in the attic from my 2 rail days back in the 60's. I may try to make that B unit work.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 18 April 2006 22:47:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ron. A bit off topic but did you ever do anything with Auhagen which you were thinking about.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline rschaffr  
#15 Posted : 18 April 2006 22:52:11(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
David: Yes, I bought a few kits. They seem to be ok, but in my opinion not as good fit as Faller, Kibri, or Vollmer. They took a little more "adjusting" to get everything to fit properly. They do look nice, though. I built a water tower and a biergarten. I have a set of the half relief industrial buildings on the way from them for my IndutrieGebeit expansion on my Era IV-V layout. I will be starting benchwork there probably next week (finally!).
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 19 April 2006 01:05:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ron : I found the colours were a bit off and the plastic on the thin side but they are cheaper and as you say look OK on the layout.

Sorry for going off topic.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#17 Posted : 08 February 2014 18:33:01(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Hi,

I tried a rich man´s ATSF F7 approach combining a 37622 with a 4063 and a 33622 - see pic.

Greetz - Ak
Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
abba v0.png
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 09 February 2014 16:58:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Nice Lash-up, Ak! How does it run?

I have to say I jumped when I saw the previous posts! David Dewer, Ron Schaffer, John Black, Hans Martin, Ulf, Ira, etc...

Then I realised, no they had not come back, much as it would have pleased me. It's just there's an 8 year gap between posts!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Alsterstreek  
#19 Posted : 09 February 2014 17:32:35(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Thx Ray,

Yes, I always liked the poor man's F7 approach, and I felt compelled to honour these forum grandees.

It runs quite well. I set one motorized A unit in each MS and turn up the speed evenly. Once the second 33622 A unit arrives, I intend to release the 37622 to his solitary A-B existence and team up the two 33622 - which hopefully show a similar behavior - under one single address, thus controlling both motorized A units with a single MS.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline 3rail4life  
#20 Posted : 09 February 2014 22:06:12(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Thx Ray,

Yes, I always liked the poor man's F7 approach, and I felt compelled to honour these forum grandees.

It runs quite well. I set one motorized A unit in each MS and turn up the speed evenly. Once the second 33622 A unit arrives, I intend to release the 37622 to his solitary A-B existence and team up the two 33622 - which hopefully show a similar behavior - under one single address, thus controlling both motorized A units with a single MS.

I like the poor man's approach tooThumpUp , but Ak I think your rich man's set-up is very coolThumpUp ThumpUp

I tried two 33622's back to back using the same address with my CS2, it did not work Cursing. The problem I had when using the shared address they both wanted go forward. I would imagine this to be the case with the MS2 as well but have not tried it. I think a simple solution would be to switch the motor wires so one runs opposite direction.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Nielsenr  
#21 Posted : 10 February 2014 02:25:26(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
It has been a while since I have looked, but isn't there a CV that can be changed to reverse the direction of travel? Maybe the decoders in your 33622s don't have it. But if they did, you could change one of them to run backwards instead of forward. I remember something about this CV when a friend didn't like the fact that the "engineer" sat in the back of a GG1. The two options were to move the "engineer" to the front cab or change the CV. Of course, I could be wrong ... the mind is a terrible thing to waste ...

Robert
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline 3rail4life  
#22 Posted : 10 February 2014 03:09:20(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Robert,

Yes, you are right about some of the newer decoders having this feature. A great thought, but 33622's are delta and they do not have much in the way of digital features, but they do know which way they are supposed to be going...

Cheers,

Gordon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline BrandonVA  
#23 Posted : 10 February 2014 17:52:59(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
At worst you can run them "elephant style" (nose to tail). I think we have seen some prototype photos of this too BigGrin

I have not tried this, but if you have two units with the same address, remove one unit from the track, reverse, then replace the unit...will they both try and go in opposite directions?

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Alsterstreek  
#24 Posted : 10 February 2014 19:11:45(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
I have not tried this, but if you have two units with the same address, remove one unit from the track, reverse, then replace the unit...will they both try and go in opposite directions?

That is what I envisaged. I will keep you posted...Cool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline BrandonVA  
#25 Posted : 10 February 2014 20:20:14(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Just in case:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

That last one is right up your alley!

-Brandon
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Alsterstreek  
#26 Posted : 12 February 2014 21:56:09(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
When will this madness stop?

Edited by user 13 February 2014 21:33:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

l1.jpg
l2.jpg
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#27 Posted : 15 February 2014 00:30:12(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

Now that I have both 33622 delta F7A locos I tried it. Result? Well, it does not work this way as they seem to develop something like a collective intelligence. Whatever I do, they always move into the same direction. And, as I am useless when it comes to electronics, I do not dare to touch the cables in order to reverse the polarity. In the good old analogue times there were only two, a red one and a brown one. Ignoring the yellow lamp feeder, there are now five cables connecting one way or another the pick-up shoe, decoder board, engine and chassis.

So, for the time being I put both FA units on the same address and run them in a AABBB configuration. Looks impressive (although I prefer the worm look of ABBBA) in front of my eight streamliner coaches or 19 tin plate box cars plus caboose. The two 33622 engines master the four percent grade on my layout, but one needs to pay attention to the throttle (or get helper assistance). Thus: true fun!

Inspired by prototype - see pic.
aabbb.png
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline 3rail4life  
#28 Posted : 15 February 2014 07:35:19(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
When will this madness stop?

I hope you guys are are done buying up all the War Bonnet B's, I would like to to have a chance at getting another one, someday...

On the 33622, one can switch the blue and green wires on the field coil to get one of them to run backwards. Unfortunately this does take a proper iron and a bit of soldering skill.

Cheers,

Gordon

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline jvuye  
#29 Posted : 15 February 2014 14:24:03(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Since we are talking about ATSF and "poor man solutions", here's my Märklin ABBA and my 8 coaches "El Capitan" consist.
The Athearn coaches are at least 30 years old and I paid $ 6.50 /piece at the Train Shop in Santa Clara , California, back in 1984
I have recently retrofitted them with Symoba KK mechanisms, which made all the difference between frustration (old US style funky couplers) and pleasure (Märklin KK)
Still makes for less than $ 20/coach, far for the $1000+ you'll have to pay for this year new 6 coaches Märklin set!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Alsterstreek  
#30 Posted : 15 February 2014 15:15:31(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Hi Gordon,

Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
I hope you guys are are done buying up all the War Bonnet B's, I would like to to have a chance at getting another one, someday...

Nope, there are still B units floating around, and after sellers realised that the Bonanza is over (since the miraculous buyer - aka myself - vanished) prices decreased again. So, you will get your chance. Smile

On the 33622, one can switch the blue and green wires on the field coil to get one of them to run backwards. Unfortunately this does take a proper iron and a bit of soldering skill.

Wiring: The eternal question in thrillers when defusing a bomb five seconds before it is going to explode: Which wire has the hero(ine) to cut? The answer is from now on: swap the green one and the blue one attached to the field coil. Tongue

Now, honestly, I am very grateful for this advice. Once I feel brave enough, I am going to try it. ThumpUp
Offline Alsterstreek  
#31 Posted : 15 February 2014 15:21:56(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Since we are talking about ATSF and "poor man solutions", here's my Märklin ABBA and my 8 coaches "El Capitan" consist.
The Athearn coaches are at least 30 years old and I paid $ 6.50 /piece at the Train Shop in Santa Clara , California, back in 1984
I have recently retrofitted them with Symoba KK mechanisms, which made all the difference between frustration (old US style funky couplers) and pleasure (Märklin KK)
Still makes for less than $ 20/coach, far for the $1000+ you'll have to pay for this year new 6 coaches Märklin set!

Very nice train set, Jacques! And I agree:

For half of the M Super Chief price I got double fun (albeit no illuminated coaches), as more train building flexibility. I have to admit that I was inspired by the M SC, and I even was about to order it. To see if it would fit into my Slumburg layout terminal, I adjusted the track arrangement: It would fit now. However, then I learned that the delivery time is not sure, with the worst case scenario being nine months at the point of time I was enquiring. Thus, I was expected to pay and pray. I did not like this. That was the trigger to start operation "F7 madness".
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#32 Posted : 15 February 2014 20:02:31(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

Done: It works. I did not solder, but employed a small screw terminal, making sure that it obstructs neither the inner shell "column" nor rear truck movement. Now I can control both 33622 via a single address, while one moves forward and the other backword, thus allowing for all kinds of combined back to back operations. Thanks again for the advice to a technophobe.
RollEyes
Offline Alsterstreek  
#33 Posted : 15 February 2014 20:04:30(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
UserPostedImage

Simulated:

AAB.png
Offline Alsterstreek  
#34 Posted : 15 February 2014 20:08:12(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

UserPostedImage

Simulated, too:

AABBB.png
Offline Alsterstreek  
#35 Posted : 15 February 2014 20:16:39(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

UserPostedImage

Simulated, again:

ABABBA.png
Offline steventrain  
#36 Posted : 16 February 2014 21:08:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good, you need a very large layout!Wink
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Brakeman  
#37 Posted : 17 February 2014 00:08:52(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
I have recently retrofitted them with Symoba ...

Doktor, no steam generators? 😁

Regards,
Juha
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Brakeman
Offline BrandonVA  
#38 Posted : 17 February 2014 16:43:44(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

Wiring: The eternal question in thrillers when defusing a bomb five seconds before it is going to explode: Which wire has the hero(ine) to cut? The answer is from now on: swap the green one and the blue one attached to the field coil. Tongue

Now, honestly, I am very grateful for this advice. Once I feel brave enough, I am going to try it. ThumpUp

Ak,

If you change the Delta address on one of the locos, you could drive them separately, and use the two-MS2 option to match the speed. Then you could operate them A-BBBBBBB-A without any soldering.

Edit: I see you have a solution.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#39 Posted : 17 February 2014 16:48:17(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Uh-oh:

UserPostedImage
Blucut, California, 1973
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Alsterstreek  
#40 Posted : 17 February 2014 20:44:03(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Piece of cake - see photo.
:)
abbabba.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Webmaster  
#41 Posted : 17 February 2014 20:51:26(UTC)
Webmaster

Great to see all these visual variations of use for the classic F7 both in prototype & model... Great topic!!! ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Yumgui  
#42 Posted : 17 February 2014 22:41:06(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline Alsterstreek  
#43 Posted : 18 February 2014 23:48:56(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Nut case, me, why?

(El Capitan in Albuquerque, NM (USA), 1971)
AABABBB El Capitan Alberqerque 1971.jpg
AABABBB.jpg
Offline BrandonVA  
#44 Posted : 19 February 2014 01:35:17(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
El Captain? Now you're talking hi-liners :)

UserPostedImage

Station scene? Brutus would count. BigGrin

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Yumgui  
#45 Posted : 19 February 2014 07:51:05(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Nut case, me, why?

operation "F7 madness"

Y ^^ Flapper

If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline jvuye  
#46 Posted : 19 February 2014 08:43:21(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
El Capitan, huh?
Just zoomed passed by my Smartphone!
jvuye attached the following image(s):
el Capitan Observation .jpg
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Alsterstreek  
#47 Posted : 19 February 2014 15:20:57(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

Brutus conveys his vows of gratitude. We will see, what we can do. Glare

El Captain? Now you're talking hi-liners :)

Fleischmann made ATSF hi-liners in the 1960s.Blink
fl1.jpg
fl2.jpg
Offline BrandonVA  
#48 Posted : 20 February 2014 18:18:02(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
B units? We don't need not stinkin' B units (mostly). Elephant style reality, courtesy of Southern Pacific's "Sunset limited", 1970

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Alsterstreek  
#49 Posted : 20 February 2014 18:25:04(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Yes, well, as long as we have enough of them FA units in the making...
FA fac.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#50 Posted : 22 February 2014 21:34:24(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

UserPostedImage

Brutus cooperated gently. Caption close enough? BigGrin

match.png