Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline huttel  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2006 17:27:38(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

For some time I have been planning a new layout for my Märklin HO setup. Inspired by a layout I found in an old Märklin Magazine (see picture below) I decided to minimize the actual decoration and landscaping to a few buildings, bridges and trees and focus on a more operations oriented simplified structure taking the following into consideration:

1. The available space is 4,90 x 3,90M (close to 20M2)
2. I am using Märklin C-track
3. The layout will be fully digital and computer controlled (Intellibox and WinDigiPet 9.0)
4. The layout should consist of minimum 3 levels (0, 150 and 300MM) with a maximum incline of 4.5%
5. The style of the layout will be crushed oval/dogbone
6. All traffic will be restricted to "right-hand-side" only
7. Up to 8 trains with up to 6 passenger coaches should be able to run simultaneously (1.840MM)
8. Era III and early IV - Germany/Denmark

I would appreciate all feed-back to get everything as right as possible.

UserPostedImage

You can see more, and read, about the layout at:

http://www.huttel.dk/marklin

Looking forward to some good discussions...

Kind regards,
Thomas

Edited by user 02 March 2014 11:07:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Carpe Diem!

Märklin HO | Insider | C-Track | Digital | Era III+IV | PC Control with CS2 (60215), Intellibox & Win-Digipet | http://huttel.dk/marklin
Offline Guus  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2006 17:48:16(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Huttel,

Welcome to the forum Smile

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Looking forward to some good discussions...

Will a simple WOW [:p][:p][:p] do for the moment?

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline rschaffr  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2006 17:52:54(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Impressive. A lot of track in the space, a lot of operating possibilities. A little too dense for my taste, but I have gotten into scenery lately (I used to be just operations oriented).
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2006 18:02:08(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum Thomas.Smile.

Very impressive with your trackplan.
Largest marklinist Layout with Centrail station 2/Mobile station 2/60174 boosters/C-Tracks/K-Tracks/Favorites class BR01, BR23, BR50/Insider Club membership since 2004.
Offline perz  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2006 18:02:59(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
That layout will be really wonderful! But how do you get in to the middle of it? Are you going to have holes where you can "pop up" if you need to fix anything?

Another thing: with that amount of space you would not need 4.5 % grades. If you give up a little bit of the "level" thinking I think you can reduce that figure.
Offline orubias  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2006 22:34:27(UTC)
orubias

Spain   
Very nice!!!

Band on the run
Offline stephenbb  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2006 23:03:29(UTC)
stephenbb

Welcome to the forum! Very impressive undertaking to build such an elaborate layout. I wish you great success with this complex design.
I can't comment on the intelbox digital system or automated running of trains. my layout is digital but manually controlled.
Stephen(USA)
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline HueyCE  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2006 06:39:06(UTC)
HueyCE

Welcome to the forum Thomas. It is a complex track plan. As said earlier I can see access to certain parts being problimatic.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline foumaro  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2006 07:44:01(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Very impressive,but i think is very complicated.Smile
Offline huttel  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2006 13:15:15(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HueyCE
<br />Welcome to the forum Thomas. It is a complex track plan. As said earlier I can see access to certain parts being problimatic.
Ira

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by perz
<br />That layout will be really wonderful! But how do you get in to the middle of it? Are you going to have holes where you can "pop up" if you need to fix anything?

UserPostedImage

Hi all.
Thank you for all your comments. I agree that there is an issue in regard to access to the whole layout.

As you can see from the picture above I have tried to solve the problem by including 4 covered "manholes". It should work. What do you think?

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Märklin HO | Insider | C-Track | Digital | Era III+IV | PC Control with CS2 (60215), Intellibox & Win-Digipet | http://huttel.dk/marklin
Offline huttel  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2006 13:26:37(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all
Another question. Looking at the full layout and expecting up to 8 trains to be able to run at the same time - does anybody have some good indications of how much powersupply I will need? Can you recommend procucts besides Märklin trafo´s and boosters?
Thomas :)
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2006 14:21:59(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Thomas,

I recognise the (first) image from an old Marklin catalogue I had.
In that time there were several examples with this type of building train tables.

I like your plans building a large layout like your sketch.
I wished I had your available space too. wink

I think the manholes will do.

Regards,

Timaximus
Märklin | HO | C+K Track | Digital | I+II+III+IV+V | Power and control by Uhlenbrock | Win-Digipet
Offline mz_1414  
#13 Posted : 29 January 2006 14:27:02(UTC)
mz_1414

4 booster + cu, fx. uhlenbrock power 3 og 5 trafo of the sam navn 70 va
Offline Timaximus  
#14 Posted : 29 January 2006 14:55:42(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Thomas,

I use the following current values for calculating the Booster sections.
(I got the current values from Märklin)

Large locomotive with a lot of digital effects = 1560 mA
Small locomotive (common value) = 500 mA
Coach light (per lamp) = 63 mA
Electric turnout/signal activation (one digital switching action per time) = 625 mA

I personally use 3 boosters + 1 IB as power source.
All connected to a 70 VA transformer.
Märklin | HO | C+K Track | Digital | I+II+III+IV+V | Power and control by Uhlenbrock | Win-Digipet
Offline HueyCE  
#15 Posted : 29 January 2006 16:44:06(UTC)
HueyCE

Thomas- The man holes should work. Running 8 trains will keep you busy, I presume you are going to have some sort of automation.
Ira

Offline perz  
#16 Posted : 29 January 2006 17:28:54(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I don't think you will need as much as 4 boosters. But it depend on what kind of locos and how many lighted coaches you have. The power consumptions Timaximus mentioned are not typical. Modern locos draw very much less than that. A typical fx or C-sine loco draws only 200 - 250 mA, with head lights on. Some locos, like the 37646, draw just 120 - 150 mA. Sound effects does not add very much to this figure.

Offline Timaximus  
#17 Posted : 29 January 2006 17:56:55(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
I forgot to say that I asked the same question 1 or 1,5 years ago to Märklin and they give me those values with the comment that the actual values are very difficult to say because of several variables.

I did not pay any further attention to it and just use these values to dimension my Power source.

But Perz is not the first one who say that I over dimensioned my power source. biggrin
Offline huttel  
#18 Posted : 29 January 2006 18:14:06(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Quote:
<br />Thomas- The man holes should work. Running 8 trains will keep you busy, I presume you are going to have some sort of automation.
Ira

Hi Huey

Yes I am automating the whole system controlled by PC through IB. Doing that allready and it works very nice.

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline huttel  
#19 Posted : 19 February 2006 22:38:17(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Thank you for the very good feedback. I have made minor changes and this is what I ended up with:

Level 0
UserPostedImage

Level 0+1
UserPostedImage

Level 0+1+2
UserPostedImage

3D view
UserPostedImage

Keep the comments coming.. Smile

//Thomas

Carpe Diem!

Offline HueyCE  
#20 Posted : 20 February 2006 02:46:08(UTC)
HueyCE

I like the changes you made in the roundhouse area.
Ira

Offline steventrain  
#21 Posted : 20 February 2006 21:39:09(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent large trackplan.Hope you can do it yourself.
Keep posted soon.wink
Largest marklinist Layout with Centrail station 2/Mobile station 2/60174 boosters/C-Tracks/K-Tracks/Favorites class BR01, BR23, BR50/Insider Club membership since 2004.
Offline huttel  
#22 Posted : 22 February 2006 00:22:21(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Thx guys....can't wait to get started...it appears that my daughter is going to become a "bigsister" in September Smile...my wife is expecting...great and wonderful....but will probably have some influence on the construction time of the new layout though... Cool

//Thomas - the proud father to be (again!)

Carpe Diem!

Offline HueyCE  
#23 Posted : 22 February 2006 03:18:23(UTC)
HueyCE

Congradulations Thomas.
Ira

Offline hxmiesa  
#24 Posted : 22 February 2006 11:31:34(UTC)
hxmiesa

Hej Thomas,

I too like the changes you have made on the BW area, but I'll suggest you "mirror" the access switches to the turntable, so that the access will be from track 6 instead of track 7. This in order to have a longer track before the turntable; Now it is just abour 1 track piece (much too short!) -with the access from track 6, you should be able to have 2 track-sections, and thus enough to have a loco parked there, and a coal-deposit and stuff.

If I understand the gray markings as stop-zones, I dont understand why you have one just in front of the 3-way switch, and none in tracks 6 and 7. Shouldnt it be the other way round? ;-)

Also I think you miss a very important stop-zone in level 1, after the return-loop, just before the curved switches from the mountain line unites with the main line; A stop on the main line here might be good to avoid accidents, and -well- it´s a block more! (=more capacity on the main line...)

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Trainingtime  
#25 Posted : 22 February 2006 16:41:12(UTC)
Trainingtime

I like the layout!
Offline huttel  
#26 Posted : 22 February 2006 21:54:48(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hxmiesa
<br />Hej Thomas,

I too like the changes you have made on the BW area, but I'll suggest you "mirror" the access switches to the turntable, so that the access will be from track 6 instead of track 7. This in order to have a longer track before the turntable; Now it is just abour 1 track piece (much too short!) -with the access from track 6, you should be able to have 2 track-sections, and thus enough to have a loco parked there, and a coal-deposit and stuff.

Hej Henrik

Thank you for the good comments. In regard to the stop-zones your quite right and I will do the changes right away. I also agree that access to the turntable from track 6 would be a lot better but as I see it, it will cut off the remaining access to the BW area. I can not see an easy way around that...but will try to work more with the layout to see if I can find a solution.

Rgds,
Thomas

Carpe Diem!

Offline huttel  
#27 Posted : 22 February 2006 21:56:21(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Thx Ira and Trainingtime for your comments.

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline steventrain  
#28 Posted : 25 February 2006 07:46:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Keep posted soon on your start to work new layout.Smile
Offline huttel  
#29 Posted : 26 February 2006 12:19:34(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

In continuation of our previous discussion on power supply (boosters/trafos) I would like to hear your opinion on pro/cons of:

1. Seperat power supply for switches and signals

or

2. Common supply for trains, switches and signals with feed from the same source divided into sections (i.e. 4 boosters/trafos).

In the actual case I'm thinking about building decoders into switches and signals on levels 1 and 2 supply power from the tracks that also provide power for the trains. In that case I will save a lot of wiring. Is that a good idea?

Any experience?

//Thomas

Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#30 Posted : 26 February 2006 12:53:04(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
I always give the signal lamps, the switch lamps and the city light a separate transformer.

The tracks (trains) are split into sections with boosters.
All the boosters have their separate transformer.

We also use the Intellibox only for powering the Viessmann decoders and the turn-table + decoder and no other tracks with running trains are connected to the Intellibox.

We also combine all the brown wires at the transformer level (only from the trains and decoder power sources) and all the browns at the booster level together (for the mass detection feedback decoders).

For example: 4 transformer are connected with the brown wire (0). And the 3 boosters are connected with the brown wire (0). The one for the lamps is not connected to the other transformers.

Table
Transformer : powering lamps from switches, signals and city light.
IB + Transformer : powering all Viessmann decoders and turntable + decoder.
Booster 1 + Transformer : powering track section 1
Booster 2 + Transformer : powering track section 2
Booster 3 + Transformer : powering track section 3

And if the track plan becomes to big (like our Benelux track) we just split the track plan and connect an extra booster + transformer to it.
The Märklin rail decoders that we place under the C-Track are connected to the track power, so they consume a bit power from the trains power feed.

With the old train table we centralised the power source and the all the decoders and that resulted into long wires to the tracks and the signals. Now we place the decoders close to the signals and the track. That results into short wires to the signals and the tracks and just one red/brown wire to the decoders from the IB or booster.

Regards,

Timaximus
Offline huttel  
#31 Posted : 26 February 2006 17:34:28(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi Timaximus

Thx. Very good info. When you look at my layout which (and how many) zones would you recommend?

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#32 Posted : 26 February 2006 20:01:19(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Thomas,

Looking at your track plan.
I recommend at least 4 boosters for your huge layout.

4 x Power 3 from Uhlenbrock and 4 x 70 VA transformer from Uhlenbrock or ... any brand ...

2 for level one.
- 1 for the station area.
- 1 for the shadow stations.
1 for level 2 station area + level 3.
1 for the main routes from level 1 and 2 plus turntable area.
The turntable and decoders can be powered via the IB.

You probably have a train sequence and train routes in mind.
When you tell me how many trains are running at the same time and in what area I can make a better guess and divide your track plan into zones.

I have seen your nice train collection with many passenger cars , all with light I think.

Timaximus
Offline huttel  
#33 Posted : 26 February 2006 21:59:46(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi Timaximus Smile[:p]Smile

Thank you for your fast and qualified answers. You ask how many trains and where they will run. It is sort of difficult to answer precisely but logically the following trains would be able to run simultaneously:

Between Stations 1 &lt;&gt; 2: 2 trains
Between Stations 1 &lt;&gt; 3: 2 trains
Between Stations 3 &lt;&gt; 4: 3 trains (via Station 6)
Between Stations 3 &lt;&gt; 5: 1 train
---------------------
Total 8 trains
---------------------

That is sort of the maximum but typically I expect around 5 trains to run at the same time.

I expect to have between 8 and 12 trains at the layout in total with 8 running. Most of the trains will be with 4-6 passenger wagons – all with lights. At level 1 and 2 (or 2 and 3) I will feed 4 switches and 6 signals (with decoders) from the tracks. The rest will be fed – as you suggest – from the IB (Viessmann 5211).

Hope this makes sense to you – otherwise just let me know and I will try to bring more info.

Rgds,
Thomas

PS You suggest 1 for the main routes from level 1 and 2 plus turntable area.. I'm not sure I understand...
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#34 Posted : 26 February 2006 23:46:37(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
With your train sequence I will recommend the following.

1 booster for station 1 (blue).
1 booster for station 2 (red).
1 Booster for station 4 and station 5 (magenta) on level 1 and 2.
1 booster for station 3 and 6 (yellow).
1 IB for the turn table plus around area (green).

UserPostedImage

Offline huttel  
#35 Posted : 27 February 2006 00:07:09(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi Timaximus

Perfect!I will follow your recommandation. Where would you feed the Viessmann decoders from? Directly from the track in each section or from the IB?

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#36 Posted : 27 February 2006 08:47:02(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Thomas,

Now the Viessmann decoders can be feed via the tracks.
Every section has its own decoders.
So the decoders for the Turn table area can be feed from the IB.
As you already mentioned.

Timaximus
Offline huttel  
#37 Posted : 27 February 2006 17:03:48(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi Timaximus

Thx. And if I understand you correct then the brown (0) of the 5 trafos should be combined and the 4 brown of the boosters and brown IB should be combined. Is that correct?

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#38 Posted : 27 February 2006 17:42:12(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Yes all the trafos from the IB and the 4 Power 3 boosters should be connected with the brown wire.
And at the booster output connections you also need to connect the brown wires.
That is also written in the Uhlenbock manuals.

The Trafo for the lamps must not connected to the others.
So leef that one alone.

Timaximus
Offline huttel  
#39 Posted : 06 March 2006 15:27:19(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Being almost finshed with designing my new layout I had serious second thoughts about access. The idea was to put "manholes" in the layout but 1) I would need to crawl under the table and 2) I would be very far from everything which made me reconsider a more open and accessable layout.

I put this together and would really appreciate your feedback again:

Level 0-3
UserPostedImage

Level 0-2
UserPostedImage

Level 0-1
UserPostedImage

Level 0
UserPostedImage

3D Model
UserPostedImage

As you can see I found place for a small shadow station.

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#40 Posted : 06 March 2006 16:15:56(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Thomas,

This is indeed much better to access.
And an fantastic layout too (again).
You are very handy with Wintrack I believe.

Kind regards,

Timaximus
Offline Trainingtime  
#41 Posted : 06 March 2006 16:44:28(UTC)
Trainingtime

WOW. Impressive!
Offline steventrain  
#42 Posted : 06 March 2006 18:54:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent.
Offline Chris M  
#43 Posted : 06 March 2006 19:00:50(UTC)
Chris M

Looks really good. Hey can anyone help me out, how do I upload pictures to this site. I would like to get feedback on my layout but can't figure out how to upload the pictures.

Thanks
Chris M
Offline Timaximus  
#44 Posted : 06 March 2006 19:10:21(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Offline Chris M  
#45 Posted : 06 March 2006 19:13:46(UTC)
Chris M

Thanks for the information. Pictures will be up soon.
Chris M
Offline huttel  
#46 Posted : 06 March 2006 22:32:30(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Timaximus
<br />Hello Thomas,

This is indeed much better to access.
And an fantastic layout too (again).
You are very handy with Wintrack I believe.

Kind regards,

Timaximus

Hi Timaximus

Thx. I think the structure of this layout is much better - like the idea of walking into the layout (2x2m) allowing better space for controls etc. I think WinTrack is an excellent tool and can see from your trackplans that you have used it too. Like your layout and enjoy following your progress.

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline huttel  
#47 Posted : 06 March 2006 22:33:46(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi guys

Thx for your comments. Can it be that there's no suggestions for improvements? [:p]

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#48 Posted : 06 March 2006 23:16:15(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
The turn table + the round house is an eye-catching thing.
So, is it possible to place the round house in the centre of a curve (loop) form the upper level?

Maybe when you make the upper loop a bit larger?

And when you look inside that loop you see the turn table + tracks inside on a lower level.
That will give a nice levelling effect.

Timaximus
Offline HueyCE  
#49 Posted : 07 March 2006 02:25:59(UTC)
HueyCE

The new plan looks really good. I think you will find it much easier to reach the various parts of your layout with this design.
Ira

Offline rugauger  
#50 Posted : 07 March 2006 08:44:05(UTC)
rugauger

I'm with Timaximum on this one, but I'd take a different approach: I'd move the entire return loop for the yellow branch line. OK, it may necessitate an enlargement of the bottom part of the layout, but that can only be a good thing, can't it?

My problem is that the branch line loop not only covers half of the roundhouse (more of a visual thing), but more importantly also covers a number of turnouts at the bottom of the station. And we all know that it's always the hidden/less accessible parts of the layout that will give us grief. Also, assuming that the passing track in the yellow level is supposed to be a branch line station, I think it would look better to have the 2 stations further apart visually.

So how about this:

UserPostedImage
Richard
Offline huttel  
#51 Posted : 07 March 2006 10:04:42(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi Richard, Ira and Timaximus

Very valid input and I agree that it would be a much better solution, so I will try to move the station to the sugested position and also work on access to the station. Would be better if the branch line exits from the main station I think.

I will be back! wink

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline hxmiesa  
#52 Posted : 07 March 2006 12:51:06(UTC)
hxmiesa

Hi,

I see that you have changed the layout a little, where you have the crane. I liked it better before ;-)

Anyway, the MOST important change, should be to install two points in the northern-most part of the main line, allowing east-bound trains access to the BW area.
Best regards
Offline huttel  
#53 Posted : 07 March 2006 21:56:54(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi Guys

Moved the branch station. Still have problems with letting it exit from the main station because of the "right handside only" driving. Will have to think a bit more about that. Want to include bridges in the NE and SE corners - think that will look very good. Also included the 2 switches as suggested by Henrik. (Not visible..!)

UserPostedImage

//Thomas Smile
Carpe Diem!

Offline HueyCE  
#54 Posted : 08 March 2006 00:48:47(UTC)
HueyCE

I think the placement of the crane is fine, if you provide a reason for it to be there, such as a small industry or a goods shed. The layout still looks very nice.
Ira

Offline huttel  
#55 Posted : 12 March 2006 21:32:37(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Think I am close to be finished with the actual layout and as the setup is to be controlled by an IB and WinDigiPet I decided to give the WinDigiPet trackplan a shot. Might have to look into the setup of the turntable but this is the result so far.

//Thomas

UserPostedImage
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#56 Posted : 12 March 2006 21:43:18(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Win-Digipet colleague.
That WDP track plan looks great!

Timaximus
Offline huttel  
#57 Posted : 12 March 2006 22:05:27(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi Timaximus

Always good to hear from you. I don't have much experience with designing trackplans in WDP. Is it the way you would have done it or am I overlooking some good points here?

//Thomas

Btw I recon 2 boosters and the IB should be enough for power - agree?
Carpe Diem!

Offline steventrain  
#58 Posted : 12 March 2006 22:18:06(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Two boosters would be ok.

How many locos do it run?
Offline huttel  
#59 Posted : 12 March 2006 22:22:30(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi Steven

I expect to have between 8 and 12 trains at the layout in total with 8 running. Most of the trains will be with 4-6 passenger wagons – all with lights.

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline steventrain  
#60 Posted : 12 March 2006 22:40:05(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Thomas,

Ok you can use IB and two boosters (just like 6021 and two 6017).

Look forward to start process on layout soon.
Offline Timaximus  
#61 Posted : 12 March 2006 23:34:33(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hello Thomas,

With 8 running trains and 4 waiting trains and a lot of coaches plus light (2 lamps per coach) a correct sectioning and train sequence should be considered.

Personally I would give the main station area an own boosters.
And two boosters for the other stations plus main tracks.
And the IB just for the decoders and the turntable area.

But you can start with your 2 boosters and the build in booster of the IB.
If you see problems with the power you can always place an extra booster to your layout.

Timaximus
Offline huttel  
#62 Posted : 20 March 2006 15:39:15(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

A quick question. In my layout I am limiting the traffic to "right-handside" only. I therefore have several switches which will always and only receive traffic. To save the expense of decoders and "Elektrischer Weichenantrieb" for those switches I was wondering if anybody have experience with de-railing etc. of trains where the receiving switches are not in the correct position. I am using C-track.

I hope the problem formulation makes sense to others than myself...Smile

Rgds,
Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline jerdenberg  
#63 Posted : 20 March 2006 16:36:00(UTC)
jerdenberg

Hi Thomas,

The only problem I have had with wheels not succeeding in "opening" a "closed" turn-out was with extremely light cars with RP25 wheels; "normal" cars do not cause problems here.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline Timaximus  
#64 Posted : 20 March 2006 17:39:11(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
I use drive open turn-outs (C-rail) too.
Also for saving activators and decoders.
Until now I never had any problems with it.

Timaximus
Offline huttel  
#65 Posted : 22 March 2006 11:30:41(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Thank you guys for your fast replies. I will go for open turn-outs too (save the money I can Cool)

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline huttel  
#66 Posted : 04 April 2006 23:10:15(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Construction time again. Train room to be... [:p]

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline HueyCE  
#67 Posted : 05 April 2006 00:57:46(UTC)
HueyCE

Definate potential.
Ira

Offline huttel  
#68 Posted : 20 May 2006 10:08:03(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Does anyone know the minimum recommended distance from C-track to a wall both on turns and straight lines?

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline HueyCE  
#69 Posted : 22 May 2006 01:30:52(UTC)
HueyCE

I don't know what the recommendation is, but from personnal experience I would say 3 cm.
Ira

Offline nevw  
#70 Posted : 22 May 2006 08:21:03(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />I don't know what the recommendation is, but from personnal experience I would say 3 cm.
Ira

From a Novice Experience i would make it 5 CM. the extra 2 Cm makes a difference. More room to cater for falling over Cars.

Nevwink
wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now have a new shiny tin Hip that is badly in Need of Repair
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline huttel  
#71 Posted : 13 July 2006 23:47:44(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Finally the room for my new layout is finished. New floor (pretty hard so no falling trains Smile), new radiator etc. Only need to get some new lamps up...and thus construction has finally begun.

UserPostedImage

At the picture you can see what will eventually become my shadow station (level -1) and at the wall initial mountings for level 0.

Still a long way to go though...but that's the fun of it...

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline viragoLDR  
#72 Posted : 14 July 2006 01:06:00(UTC)
viragoLDR

Looks a lot less like a shabby, murky cell now, it actually looks like quite a comfortable room =)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline HueyCE  
#73 Posted : 14 July 2006 01:19:42(UTC)
HueyCE

It's always fun to get started on the layout. Keep us posted. Nice upgrades to the room.
Ira

Offline PierreGILLARD  
#74 Posted : 14 July 2006 01:23:05(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

It seems to be a very clean room now.

Have fun now with the construction of your layout !

Pierre.
Offline steventrain  
#75 Posted : 14 July 2006 21:51:12(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Good luck to start construction of your layout.
Offline huttel  
#76 Posted : 21 July 2006 01:18:43(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Got a little further with the construction of the table as you can see. The table for the shadow station is basically finished wink

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline steventrain  
#77 Posted : 21 July 2006 07:42:20(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent keep the good work.Smile
Offline huttel  
#78 Posted : 20 August 2006 23:29:44(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

A quick update as work is progressing (slowly) but anyway here are some more pictures...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The pillars of the bridge are only temporary...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The shadow station is finished and I managed to get the loop in place and got some trains up and running....ahhh....how I have missed that Smile

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline PierreGILLARD  
#79 Posted : 21 August 2006 00:31:22(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

It will become a great layout for sure wink.

Pierre.
Offline HueyCE  
#80 Posted : 22 August 2006 01:12:36(UTC)
HueyCE

Yet another layout that is coming along nicely.
Ira

Offline huttel  
#81 Posted : 26 August 2006 15:58:59(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Basically finished with fitting the plates for the 4 levels. Now need to paint, build ramps, lay tracks, build control table, doors for the cabinets etc...and then comes all the wiring and programming...biggrin

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

...and did I forget to mention that my wife is suposed to give birth in a week or two...

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline Timaximus  
#82 Posted : 26 August 2006 18:52:02(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Hi Thomas,

Your layout is growing nicely.
Now we can see the real 3D idea of your track plan.
It looks very good.

Timaximus
Offline HueyCE  
#83 Posted : 27 August 2006 01:37:55(UTC)
HueyCE

How have you managed to get so much done with a little one on the way? Congradulations on the pending birth.
Ira

Offline steventrain  
#84 Posted : 27 August 2006 10:33:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent process,keep the good work.
Offline huttel  
#85 Posted : 23 September 2006 00:59:55(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Had a few "family free" days and were able to get some real progress with the layout. Have more or less finished the table (needs to fit cabinet doors) and started on laying out tracks, installing RM modules, cables and WDP programming.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Decided to use 3 70VA transformers for the trains and keep the IB for feeding decoders and signals. Worked out fine and I don't seem to have power problems

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Finished most of the programming this evening and managed to have 12 trains running at the same time with limited problems (only two major incidents). Nice Smile

UserPostedImage

Inspired by the oringinal Märklin layout I went out and got some trees to add some color to a rather white layout.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Screenshot from the WDP PC control

UserPostedImage

...and the everlasting spagetti

UserPostedImage

And more important...We had a beautiful daughter 2 weeks ago. 3.450G and 51CM's of pure hapiness [:I]

La vie est belle!

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!

Offline nevw  
#86 Posted : 23 September 2006 01:09:39(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Congratulations.
Both "projects" Look perfect. Now you have to buy a Pink Train for her. Smilewink ]
(for daughter) [:X][:X]
Nev
wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now have a new shiny tin Hip that is badly in Need of Repair
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline steventrain  
#87 Posted : 23 September 2006 08:36:47(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Great layout (nearly finish?).

Lovely daughter[:X]
Offline David Dewar  
#88 Posted : 23 September 2006 10:21:21(UTC)
David Dewar

Congratulations....beautiful girl.

Have you ordered the M start set for her Christmas !!

David
Offline hxmiesa  
#89 Posted : 23 September 2006 11:34:40(UTC)
hxmiesa

Congratulations Thomas!!!
Best regards
Offline Zora la rousse  
#90 Posted : 23 September 2006 13:13:44(UTC)
Zora la rousse

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by huttel
<br />
UserPostedImage

And more important...We had a beautiful daughter 2 weeks ago. 3.450G and 51CM's of pure hapiness [:I]

La vie est belle!

//Thomas

Sweet Smile.

Congratulations wink.
You are never too late to become a Märklin fan.
Offline Timaximus  
#91 Posted : 23 September 2006 13:29:31(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
First: Beautiful daughter.
And congratulate your wife too for all the hard work she did the past 9 months.

Second: Now you have painted the layout structure it looks fantastic.
Just like the old layouts from the Märklin catalogues in the past.

Three: your wiring is a mess wink (looks familiar).

Timaximus
Offline HueyCE  
#92 Posted : 23 September 2006 16:48:30(UTC)
HueyCE

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.
Your layout looks very clean, it's great that you got 12 trains to run simultainiously.
Ira

Offline Rowan  
#93 Posted : 23 September 2006 20:39:01(UTC)
Rowan

To you and your wife ,congratulations.
The layout is looking very good Thomas.
Offline huttel  
#94 Posted : 23 September 2006 23:24:56(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

My dear (and rather tired) wife and I thank you all for your kind words. It is our second daughter and completes our lives in a beautiful way.

As for the layout I´m struggeling with WDP but it is slowly coming together. I will post more pictures as I get along and I am quite pleased with the results so far inspired by the old 1984 Märklin layout:

UserPostedImage

//Thomas

Carpe Diem!

Offline miccar  
#95 Posted : 24 September 2006 01:22:19(UTC)
miccar

Congratulations on the newly born!
Offline rugauger  
#96 Posted : 24 September 2006 23:15:09(UTC)
rugauger

Many congratulations on your new arrival, Thomas!
Richard
Offline Purellum  
#97 Posted : 25 September 2006 03:34:39(UTC)
Purellum

http://www.dieselairhorns.com/sounds/NathanP7x.mp3

Congratulations to your wife and you! [^]

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline foumaro  
#98 Posted : 25 September 2006 08:12:00(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Congratulations for the new member of family.There is nothing more
important of a baby in a family.biggrin
Offline ulf999  
#99 Posted : 25 September 2006 20:53:09(UTC)
ulf999

Congrats Thomas! btw very promising layout
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline huttel  
#100 Posted : 16 October 2006 15:00:45(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

A few more pictures as the new layout is coming together...

UserPostedImage

Ramp to upper levels

UserPostedImage

South-West corner

UserPostedImage

North-West corner and bridges

UserPostedImage

Main control table and cabinet doors are finished. Cabinet doors heavily inspired by Timaximus' solution Smile

UserPostedImage

BR110 coming down as the V80 is going up

UserPostedImage

My new VT08.5 meeting the SVT137 - or as I understand it new C-sine meeting old C-sine. I have had a lot of trouble getting the VT08.5 to run as I want it to and I will probably have to take it back to be fixed.

UserPostedImage

I also tried to put a web photo album together. Needs more work but it is avaliable here http://www.huttel.dk/marklin/photo/mphoto/ - if you are up for more pictures

I have been concentrating on the WDP programming and are very satisfied with the results so far. When finished I will start adding more "color" (i.e. trees!) to the layout. But it is funny to sit and look at the first pictures and original layout and now actually be able to have trains running. Been a long but very good journey - and the best is that i'm only half-way Smile

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!