Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2015 07:22:47(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Afternoon guys,

I've been pondering what to run behind my newly acquired red V140 34210.

I had it in the back of my mind there was at some stage a red Donnerbüchsen coach set (or maybe red and cream) which I thought would go well with it.

After spending hours going through all my old Marklin catalogue's I finally found it in the 97/98 yearbook, the 43138 & 43139 2 coach sets. I also stumbled across the 2005 43108 3 coach "Ruhr commuter set" in red and cream (knew I'd seen one somewhere).

Neither are exactly cheap for what they are so which do you think would be the better choice ? Or just go with a bog stock set of coaches....... no doubt it ran freight as well but I don't believe it looks the part for that.
Shamu attached the following image(s):
43138-9.jpg
43108.jpg
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2015 07:52:49(UTC)
H0

Good morning!
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
I had it in the back of my mind there was at some stage a red Donnerbüchsen coach set (or maybe red and cream) which I thought would go well with it.
DB didn't compile trains by colour.
The red Donnerbüchsen were meant to be used with push/pull trains - so I don't think they were regularly used with a V 140.

An older thread with the same question:
https://www.marklin-user...BR-V-140.aspx#post263634

Update:
A thread with a B/W photo (you may have to click the link twice):
http://www.drehscheibe-o...oren/read.php?17,5676424

It looks as if Märklin 00792 has the correct coaches (with respect to form), but a bit too new (end of '50s, no third class, DB cookie).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2015 08:18:12(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thanks very much Tom for the links.

I didn't think it would have actually run with matching coaches, just me thinking they would look good together.

Also thanks for the info about the red donnerbüchsen coaches ThumpUp , for some reason I thought they were for regional branch lines. Makes sense as I was aware of modified donnerbüchsen coaches used with push-pull consists but didn't make the connection.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2015 10:36:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Shane,

The photo in the link that Tom posted shows it pulling a varied collection of what look like two and three axle coaches, and by the different shades of grey they might be different colours too. You could try to replicate this behind your model.

The red "thunderboxes" look cool. I have a few from my V36 push pull train set and I sometimes mix them up in a consist with the green ones. That would look quite aceptable in my opinion, as some of the coaches modified for push pull trains were then used afterwards in ordinary service, so you can use that as an excuse.

Have you considered the 4235/4335/42351/43351 4-wheel coaches? A mixed train of those would also look good behind this loco, I think.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2015 11:25:19(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Yes Ray, I had thought about them as well. Most likely easier to get hold of at a reasonable cost too. ThumpUp

Then again I have 3 axel coaches by the bucket load. Blushing

Inclined towards the Ruhr commuter as well........ its all too confusing Confused.

And to top it off I was a real naughty boy while looking on eBay for coaches for the V140......... you'll see them in about 10 days Woot already copped a smack in the back of the head by the Hausführer Crying
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2015 13:53:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
I also stumbled across the 2005 43108 3 coach "Ruhr commuter set" in red and cream (knew I'd seen one somewhere).

Don't forget there is an additional coach to go with this set which is loaded up with a decoder that gives a heap of sound effects like station announcements. From memory the single coach was more expensive or a similar price to the set.

There is also a set of two red/cream donnerbuchsen with closed in ends which was produced to go with a red/cream railbus back in the 1990s. It is a relatively rare set to find. There are also two individual red/cream ones that were produced for marklin open days IIRC, before they interleaved the open days with the IMA show. Don't have any catalog numbers handy, but I'm sure someone will know the coaches I mean.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Shamu  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2015 14:28:24(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Alan,

Yeah I saw a couple of 4 coach sets with the sound coach included, price wasn't too bad..... well saw the 4 car set for the same price as the basic 43108 from some of the sellers around €250 from memory. €60-90 for the 43109 on its own.

Only saw 1 of the red/cream enclosed thunderbox coaches and from memory was dear as.

This was on ebay de as I nearly always search there now first, started to notice about 6 months ago that even if sellers do ship "worldwide" alot are not showing up on the Oz ebay even if you do a worldwide search. Still lots of overpriced US stuff though.