Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sfguy1930  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2015 00:59:28(UTC)
sfguy1930

United States   
Hi,

I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on this bit of a mystery for me.

The selling prices (in ebay auctions) for non-digital Marklin locomotives and such has dropped really precipitously over the last 6 months to a year. I was wondering if there is some other place that people are going to buy and sell their items or what might be going on.

I had bought a few items sort of by accidentally winning the auction and wanted to resell them but the prices are down something like 30-50% based on my unscientific eye-balling of the situation.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the topic? (Even back in 2007/2008 when the economy was in the dumps and so many things could be had much more cheaply, I didn't really notice any sort of a drop-off in the marklin prices. I've almost been wondering if folks that want to collect these trains are just completely disappearing)

Thanks much,
Ruben
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2015 01:52:55(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Part of the price problem is the currency exchange rate and the high cost of shipping items around the world.

The other thing is that the new models coming out, for me, are much more interesting than the old analogue trains. The video doors train is one example and mfx+ is another example..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2015 05:01:47(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Perhaps part of the answer is that some common analog loks and rolling stock have been overpriced from the beginning, just because something is old does not mean it's priceless.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline tiono  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2015 16:40:41(UTC)
tiono

United States   
As more and more people converted their old analog layout into digital, therefore the population of analog layout become less and less. Since analog locomotives can not run on digital layout without being converted, thus the demand for analog locomotives at secondary market is declining. Only few models will still be able to command high price from collectors who purchase them to sit inside display cabinet, instead of running on the layout.
This trend was further accentuated in the last couple of years by the advance of technology; new tooling produce better quality (more details and closer to prototypical appearance), modern digital electronics giving good sound, smooth running and other features. Further depressing the value of older analog locomotives and encouraging more people to convert their analog layout into digital, resulting in sharp downtrend of resale price of non-digital rolling stocks.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tiono
Offline sfguy1930  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2015 03:35:30(UTC)
sfguy1930

United States   
Thanks much for all the thoughts and inputs!

I should start watching and seeing what's happening with the digital prices; sounds like those should not be dropping off then.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2015 07:25:26(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: sfguy1930 Go to Quoted Post
I should start watching and seeing what's happening with the digital prices; sounds like those should not be dropping off then.
Why not? Newer models are better.
I'm looking for a model with big C-Sine and yellow LEDs. List price was around €240 and recently I saw some of them going for less than €90.

It's a matter of demand and supply. With many collections on offer, supply is good for many items and only few items are rare and get high prices.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline tiono  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2015 08:48:26(UTC)
tiono

United States   

Digital prices will also drop closer to analog after Marklin released the new tooling of that particular model.

As an example:
Few days ago, a digital BR18 (#37184) was sold for just 84.55 euro on ebay.de, and another digital #3711 was sold for US$105 on ebay.com
But the new tooling second hand BR18 (#3902x) still closing above 200 euro, not too far off than its original price (its price is around 320 euro brand new)

Link to auction pages here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...p;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...p;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Offline mrmarklin  
#8 Posted : 14 May 2015 23:54:45(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Hi,

I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on this bit of a mystery for me.

The selling prices (in ebay auctions) for non-digital Marklin locomotives and such has dropped really precipitously over the last 6 months to a year. I was wondering if there is some other place that people are going to buy and sell their items or what might be going on.

I had bought a few items sort of by accidentally winning the auction and wanted to resell them but the prices are down something like 30-50% based on my unscientific eye-balling of the situation.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the topic? (Even back in 2007/2008 when the economy was in the dumps and so many things could be had much more cheaply, I didn't really notice any sort of a drop-off in the marklin prices. I've almost been wondering if folks that want to collect these trains are just completely disappearing)

Thanks much,
Ruben

I think the pricing reflects the fact that we are now well into the Digital world. Even starter sets are digital now.

To bring these models to current standards is almost equivalent to a new model already done, if one includes labor cost. Hence, the low prices. Only relatively rare and collectible analog pieces are worth much. The rest are "runners". And there is no place to run if you are digital!

From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 15 May 2015 00:25:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You can get some excellent bargains in some of these analogue or early digital models.

I convert them with a modern digital kit from either Marklin or ESU, and for just about 30 euro more I end up with a good loco with great running characteristics.

The end result may fall a bit short of the current standards, but not by much, especially if you're not too worried about sound.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2015 08:16:46(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Value of items will vary over the years, and are worth exactly what you are prepared to pay at a given time.

My oldest Marklin loco is 3317, made in 1991, and purchased second-hand in 2009. It was immediately converted to the latest Marklin MFX digital with sound. In my opinion, it is every bit as good a performer as the later Marklin units I purchased since 2005.

That said, I am reluctant to pursue other old models, because when adding freight to Australia, then the MFX decoder, the prices are close to currently available models.
It seems to me, that there are more comprehensive choices in the current line up of Marklin models.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow