Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2015 06:38:17(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Afternoon all,

I've been looking on and off for a couple of years and in earnest the last month or so but can not find any sets/packs of waiters and restaurant staff.

I have 8 dining/restaurant cars plus 3 Rheingold sets that are in need of staff but with the exception of a few sets made by various manufactures that have 1 or 2 at most waiters I can find no sets of mostly waiters. Allowing for 2 to a car that will mean buying several dozen sets.

I have seen enough photos of layouts and carriages (with waiters in them) over the years to think that someone must have made sets of waiters at some stage due to all the different poses but after looking through Preiser, Noch, Vollmer, Faller and Kibri (including all my old catalogues) and found nothing beyond a couple of sets with 2 at most suitable figures in them. There are a few kitchen staff sets and a Noch Service Personal set but that's not what I need.

Does anyone know of any sets that may be suitable for staffing my dining cars ? Even something in the right poses that I'll have to repaint in "black & whites" would be better than nothing. At a rough guess I'll be needing about 40 all up otherwise I'm looking at 20 sets at around $20 a pop (if I'm lucky) just to get the 2 I want out of them.

I'm really keen to put staff in my coaches but not at $400.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2015 16:07:28(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The waiter I have at my winery hotel restaurant is from Merten:

see the pics of him at http://layout.mixmox.com/1/Faller-130904
(scroll down a few and you will see him a few pictures)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Unholz  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2015 10:37:25(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I don't know how waiters are dressed in your country, but perhaps the three staff members visible in this ancient HAG McDonald's set do qualify:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/H...pur-H0-OVP-/271553342981

And this here is restaurant staff in Germany:
http://www.modellbahnsho...-grp-de-p-0/produkt.html
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2015 11:45:24(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Stefan,

Must admit I was using the normal restaurant staff outfit of black & whites as my baseline, didn't really consider what the "norm" may be in Europe let alone back in the pre 50's. My memory from my last trip to continental Europe in the early 80's was most wore B&W's or if not a subdued colour with white.

Over the years I have seen several outdoors restaurant dioramas with at least 8 different poses (serving food/carrying food/empty plates/cooking at the table trolley) not counting a couple of different wine waiters.

I had shortlisted that Noch/Merten set I think it was that you provided the link to and a Kibri (I think) one with mostly kitchen staff. I just begrudge having to buy so many sets to get a couple of dozen waiters. You can buy full sets of just about everything else, joggers/fishermen/football players/police/soldiers/nudist's and the list goes on and on.......

I'm amazed that there are no sets of waiters/restaurant staff. I suppose I could use the other 4 figures in that 15070 set around stations or outdoor cafe's..... LOL well the other 40 or 80 depending how many sets I have to buy.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2015 20:16:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Hi Stefan,

Must admit I was using the normal restaurant staff outfit of black & whites as my baseline, didn't really consider what the "norm" may be in Europe let alone back in the pre 50's. My memory from my last trip to continental Europe in the early 80's was most wore B&W's or if not a subdued colour with white.

Over the years I have seen several outdoors restaurant dioramas with at least 8 different poses (serving food/carrying food/empty plates/cooking at the table trolley) not counting a couple of different wine waiters.

I had shortlisted that Noch/Merten set I think it was that you provided the link to and a Kibri (I think) one with mostly kitchen staff. I just begrudge having to buy so many sets to get a couple of dozen waiters. You can buy full sets of just about everything else, joggers/fishermen/football players/police/soldiers/nudist's and the list goes on and on.......

I'm amazed that there are no sets of waiters/restaurant staff. I suppose I could use the other 4 figures in that 15070 set around stations or outdoor cafe's..... LOL well the other 40 or 80 depending how many sets I have to buy.

Maybe it is time to drop an email to the Preiser marketing department explain your wish list and why you want it.

Offline Shamu  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2015 07:46:53(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Yeah fair point Alan.

In the grander scheme of things I have a fair idea where that email will end up but its worth a punt, never know your luck. Maybe a open letter to all the model makers might get a better response ?

Could also be a deliberate ploy on the part of the manufactures......... have to buy heaps and heaps of sets.

Offline Fishman  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2015 18:14:33(UTC)
Fishman

Australia   
Here's some I found whilst looking to populate my layout I am planning, Preiser 10210. Maybe they'll suit.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Fishman
Offline billhubb  
#8 Posted : 17 July 2015 03:23:18(UTC)
billhubb

United States   
Shamu,
Look's to me like your best bet is to paint them yourself, Preiser has a newer set 16356 "in the beer garden" only 4 wait staff and 42 seated persons. The 16343 "passers-by" set seems to have the most usable figures to paint as wait staff. There is no good catch all in the unpainted sets either!

Bill
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by billhubb