Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2015 15:11:36(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Well I just received my 2 Kolls cataloques today.Band 1 and Special cataloque. Now at last I will be able to see just how much I am in the hole with all the stuff I purchased over the last year or so. A well , easy come ,easy go.Blink Blink Take care Eddie. PS, if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move to proper place
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline MalinAC  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2015 18:34:35(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Well after checking most of my stuff it seems that I overpayed on nearly everything. I am not a very happy camper at all.Im not out to make a profit on the trains but would have liked them to hold up close to what I paid . Or is it that Kolls prices are very low. Please somebody say thats the case. I better think about taking up marbles or something.Mad Mad Mad Eddie
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2015 19:54:32(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Yes Most are bargain price on Koll price book, I did pay above the Koll price guide.Sad

Some are low that KollThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline SteamNut  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2015 00:25:53(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Model railroading is at least cheaper the fishing. By the time you buy the equipment and boat you are better buying the fish at the market.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Ausipeet  
#5 Posted : 08 May 2015 00:46:07(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
quick question regarding koll which version is the one with the photos please i am looking at getting this version as i already have the pocket edition.

Thank you
Offline Shamu  
#6 Posted : 08 May 2015 01:53:31(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Its just my opinion Eddie but I think that the Kolls prices are more than likely the "going rate" in the land of milk and honey for model trains...... Germany.

For example in Oz they have no meaning what so ever, a guide perhaps but there are so many common items that are rare as down here (and most likely NZ as well) that the local market rate is well above the Kolls prices.

Just my 5 cents. (haven't had 2's here for many years)
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline MalinAC  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2015 08:19:58(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Peter, both versions I got have pictures in them Kolls Band 1 2015 and Kolls Special cataloque 2015 which is almost twice as thick as the band 1. Take care Eddie Blink Blink
Offline MalinAC  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2015 08:46:52(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
I dont intend to be selling any time soon, so I guess if the time does come and I have to sell then I wont put them for sale in Germany.Blink Blink Cool Cool
Offline Janne75  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2015 10:12:15(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Eddie,

In my opinion Koll´s prices are very low for most of the items. By this I mean very often you don´t get the items with such a low price even from Germany. Koll´s prices are for items in mint condition with original box and instructions etc. But some older Märklin items Koll´s prices are higher than what their real value is. This is just my opinion anyway RollEyes .

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#10 Posted : 08 May 2015 19:43:36(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi again Eddie, all,

I would like to know how much value does the first version of rail bus = Märklin DB 800 K (3016.1) have in newest Koll's catalog? I have only version 2012 Koll's compact catalog and special catalog. In 2012 it's value was listed as 150 euro.

Here is an auction which just ended at very high price 260,99 euro for basicly new DB 800 K first version (1955) with all the goodies in perfect condition:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/13150110...AIT&autorefresh=true

I won some time ago an auction for good condition DB 800 K first version (1955). Price 132,11 euro is high, but I wanted it! I know that this first version is more pricey as from the link above can be seen. Not a "basic" 3016 with 1:10 price of that... BigGrin

Here is that auction I won:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Maerklin...orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Many thanks in advance for the value ThumpUp .

Cheers,
Janne

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline MalinAC  
#11 Posted : 08 May 2015 20:30:54(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Janne, As far as I can make out ----3016 DB800K -1 1955-1958 shows two values---180/105 Then 1959 version 90. Hope this is what your after.Take care Eddie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline Janne75  
#12 Posted : 08 May 2015 20:57:40(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Hi Janne, As far as I can make out ----3016 DB800K -1 1955-1958 shows two values---180/105 Then 1959 version 90. Hope this is what your after.Take care Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Yes, thank you. The value has raised then from 150 to 180. I'm not sure why there is that other price of 105. In my catalog the price is 150/105 for this first version. 1959 versions value has increased from 80 to 90 euro from 2012 to 2015. Looks good...

Have a nice weekend! Smile

Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline MalinAC  
#13 Posted : 08 May 2015 21:04:34(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Janne, I think that means that 1955 is worth 180 and 1958 is 105.
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 08 May 2015 21:32:59(UTC)
H0

Hi!

In my 2004 edition, the price was € 200 / 150.
The small print indicates that until 1957 the 4018 was included. So first price for old sets with 4018, second price for newer sets without 4018.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark_1602  
#15 Posted : 09 May 2015 08:41:00(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Well after checking most of my stuff it seems that I overpayed on nearly everything. I am not a very happy camper at all.Im not out to make a profit on the trains but would have liked them to hold up close to what I paid . Or is it that Kolls prices are very low. Please somebody say thats the case. I better think about taking up marbles or something.Mad Mad Mad Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Whether Koll's prices are too high or too low really depends on what kind of models you're talking about. For example, rare locomotives from the 1950s that are really mint and original are sold at much higher prices than Koll's, but try selling all the stuff that has been produced in the last 20 or 30 years, and you'll get even less than Koll's price in many cases. Can you tell me what kind of stuff you have? Is it really mint or have you used it?

Some time ago I read a very interesting book called "Modellbahn: Clever sammeln und sparen" (How to collect model trains and save money) written by Ingo Fausmann around the year 2000. That book explains the fallacies of the hobby very well, but how many people want to hear the message?? Accidentally, I bought two copies of that book as the title was changed for the second edition, so I thought it was another book. Then I auctioned one copy on Ebay.de at a very competitive postage rate, but guess what? I had to auction it twice because the first time nobody wanted to pay the mimimum price of 1 euro!!

I'm sure that the Märklin company did not like that book at all when it was published about 15 years ago because it told people the truth about the limited editions and falling prices. The important thing is to stop making the same mistakes all over again, but most people keep on doing just that. Märklin's policy of focusing on limited editions and "special" models hasn't changed because it still works. Many fans can't wait to get their hands on that stuff, though it will certainly lose its value in the coming years. The collector's market is dead, except for rare items in mint condition made before the early 1970s, though there are a few exceptions of more recent models that are sold at high prices. If you really want the new stuff, you can buy it at a discount a few years later and save a lot of money.

Selling your collection would be difficult, and you'd probably lose a lot of money and feel worse off in the end. If you're based in Ireland, you can't compete with the postage rates of German sellers on Ebay.de, and in any case German buyers are distrustful of foreign sellers. I've sold part of my collection on Ebay.de at reasonable prices without losing too much money, but only because I can drive across the border to post my parcels from Germany and offer low postage rates. Nearly all of my buyers are from Germany, Sweden, Denmark, or the Benelux countries. Occasionally I have Finnish, French or Italian buyers. I use the proceeds to buy better stuff, mostly vintage nowadays. I've never had a single buyer from the UK or Ireland, so it must be hard to sell a Märklin collection there. Selling on a forum like this one may work, but only if there's some real demand for the stuff you want to get rid of.

Maybe you can use your stuff on a layout instead of selling it. You'd be having some fun with Märklin (if your models don't have any issues) ... Smile

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline MalinAC  
#16 Posted : 09 May 2015 09:09:02(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Mark, thanks for that.I am not trying to sell anything and from what I can tell just have ordinary run of the mill locos.I only buy used and if its something I like then I try and buy it. Its just that with all the talk about Kolls prices etc I decided to get my own copys and what they might fetch just in case I had to sell.I was shocked at how low most of the stuff is valued by Kolls because you see similar locos on ebay asking much higher prices and getting them. Maybe if everybody had a copy of Kolls before they buy it might keep the prices lower still. Anyway I dont intend to sell so will just continue to enjoy what I have and buy what models I like if I can get them at a good price. Take care Eddie Blink Blink Confused Confused
Offline Rocca  
#17 Posted : 09 May 2015 14:06:19(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hello, dear MalinAc,

I live in Italy and have heard from sellers here and from some very trutfull collectors that Koll's edition is making prices on a strange way: the items which Mr. Koll and his company owns are very high priced, but not the other ones which he doesn't own. So for somebody it isn't so truthfull. Probably some of them are right, but we'ven't to keep it like a Bible...lol.
Best regrads

Stefano Rocca

Hi Mark, thanks for that.I am not trying to sell anything and from what I can tell just have ordinary run of the mill locos.I only buy used and if its something I like then I try and buy it. Its just that with all the talk about Kolls prices etc I decided to get my own copys and what they might fetch just in case I had to sell.I was shocked at how low most of the stuff is valued by Kolls because you see similar locos on ebay asking much higher prices and getting them. Maybe if everybody had a copy of Kolls before they buy it might keep the prices lower still. Anyway I dont intend to sell so will just continue to enjoy what I have and buy what models I like if I can get them at a good price. Take care Eddie Blink Blink Confused Confused

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rocca
Offline MalinAC  
#18 Posted : 09 May 2015 14:26:47(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Stefano, That could very well be true because everybody wants the items they have to be the best and highest priced. So what better way than rubbish everything else and not put a high value on it. I have seen some very old Marklin which are falling to bits with body parts and wheels hanging off and they still comand a very very high price. Just because something is old does mean its valuable. I could see it if people repaired the items and repainted them into like new condition.Anyway I will enjoy what I have. Take care EddieBigGrin BigGrin Confused Confused
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 10 May 2015 00:08:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

It is not just Kolls that undervalue things ... try totalling your car and then buy the same model/year/mileage with the insurance payout. If you can find a vehicle that matches the spec the price will be much higher ....
Offline Mark_1602  
#20 Posted : 10 May 2015 10:24:12(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post

I live in Italy and have heard from sellers here and from some very trutfull collectors that Koll's edition is making prices on a strange way: the items which Mr. Koll and his company owns are very high priced, but not the other ones which he doesn't own. So for somebody it isn't so truthfull. Probably some of them are right, but we'ven't to keep it like a Bible...lol.
Best regrads

Stefano Rocca

Hi Stefano,

Can you give any precise examples of that? Mr Koll has been a Märklin collector for a long time and has made a lot of money with his catalogues, so he must have nearly all the collector's models by now. Locomotives like the 3063 or the 3052 are not expensive because Mr Koll owns them or puts a high price tag on them in his catalogue, but because they are truly rare and very hard to find in original and mint condition. In the 1960s, most common DB locomotives were produced in very large numbers totalling several hundred thousand copies or more, and in the 1970s and 1980s, Märklin produced even more locomotives.

There are definitely less than 3,000 copies of the 3063, and the 3052 is even rarer. Those numbers justify the price for collectors, as compared to the six million copies of the BR 89.0 tender locomotive that have been produced up to now. Other collector's models that Mr Koll certainly owns, such as the 3059 or the 3045, which he once claimed to have bought at a discount in the 1970s, have been marked down in his catalogue in recent years because there are simply too many of them. The 3045 or the 3059 have turned up on Ebay so often in the last few years that they were certainly produced in much larger numbers than the 3052 or the 3063.

For all of the stuff that Märklin has made in the last 30 years or so, rarity will not stop prices from falling, because serious collectors who pay higher prices usually ignore all the models that have been produced after 1972, 1975 or 1980. (In addition to that, the number of MRR enthusiasts or collectors is on the way down.) That only leaves the model railroaders or price-conscious enthusiasts as potential buyers.
Prices for vintage models are also on the way down, as serious collectors only pay for mint or near-mint items; there's a lot of vintage stuff on Ebay or other websites, but it's usually rubbish, heavily used, not original, etc. I'm a member of a German forum devoted to vintage model trains, and I've noticed that most of the other users mainly buy old models because they're cheap. Some people love getting a locomotive for 40 or 60 euros. The low prices in Koll's catalogue are quite realistic, as my experience as a private Ebay seller tells me. Obviously quite a number of Koll's prices are simply wrong, but who could set the right price for every item every year?

Most Germans think that Koll's prices are too high because they can find the items they want at lower prices. Have a look at the websites of auction houses in Germany. There's so much common stuff from the last 40 years on sale that prices for those items are very low. Professional Ebay sellers buy their Märklin models cheaply there and try to sell them at much higher prices on Ebay. The real market value is what you or I would get in an Ebay auction if we sold our collection, and in many cases that would be even less than the Koll's price, so we'd better keep the models we enjoy ... BigGrin

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline Rocca  
#21 Posted : 10 May 2015 14:42:06(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hello, Mark,

Thanks a lot for your reply! Iìm totally with you

Best regrads
Stefano Rocca

Hi Stefano,

Can you give any precise examples of that? Mr Koll has been a Märklin collector for a long time and has made a lot of money with his catalogues, so he must have nearly all the collector's models by now. Locomotives like the 3063 or the 3052 are not expensive because Mr Koll owns them or puts a high price tag on them in his catalogue, but because they are truly rare and very hard to find in original and mint condition. In the 1960s, most common DB locomotives were produced in very large numbers totalling several hundred thousand copies or more, and in the 1970s and 1980s, Märklin produced even more locomotives.

There are definitely less than 3,000 copies of the 3063, and the 3052 is even rarer. Those numbers justify the price for collectors, as compared to the six million copies of the BR 89.0 tender locomotive that have been produced up to now. Other collector's models that Mr Koll certainly owns, such as the 3059 or the 3045, which he once claimed to have bought at a discount in the 1970s, have been marked down in his catalogue in recent years because there are simply too many of them. The 3045 or the 3059 have turned up on Ebay so often in the last few years that they were certainly produced in much larger numbers than the 3052 or the 3063.

For all of the stuff that Märklin has made in the last 30 years or so, rarity will not stop prices from falling, because serious collectors who pay higher prices usually ignore all the models that have been produced after 1972, 1975 or 1980. (In addition to that, the number of MRR enthusiasts or collectors is on the way down.) That only leaves the model railroaders or price-conscious enthusiasts as potential buyers.
Prices for vintage models are also on the way down, as serious collectors only pay for mint or near-mint items; there's a lot of vintage stuff on Ebay or other websites, but it's usually rubbish, heavily used, not original, etc. I'm a member of a German forum devoted to vintage model trains, and I've noticed that most of the other users mainly buy old models because they're cheap. Some people love getting a locomotive for 40 or 60 euros. The low prices in Koll's catalogue are quite realistic, as my experience as a private Ebay seller tells me. Obviously quite a number of Koll's prices are simply wrong, but who could set the right price for every item every year?

Most Germans think that Koll's prices are too high because they can find the items they want at lower prices. Have a look at the websites of auction houses in Germany. There's so much common stuff from the last 40 years on sale that prices for those items are very low. Professional Ebay sellers buy their Märklin models cheaply there and try to sell them at much higher prices on Ebay. The real market value is what you or I would get in an Ebay auction if we sold our collection, and in many cases that would be even less than the Koll's price, so we'd better keep the models we enjoy ... BigGrin

Best regards,

Mark

Offline Rocca  
#22 Posted : 10 May 2015 14:44:02(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hello Eddie,

I use Koll's books too and I enjoy too all my models....lol!!

Best regards
Stefano Rocca

Hi Stefano, That could very well be true because everybody wants the items they have to be the best and highest priced. So what better way than rubbish everything else and not put a high value on it. I have seen some very old Marklin which are falling to bits with body parts and wheels hanging off and they still comand a very very high price. Just because something is old does mean its valuable. I could see it if people repaired the items and repainted them into like new condition.Anyway I will enjoy what I have. Take care EddieBigGrin BigGrin Confused Confused