Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2015 15:17:52(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I have been asking questions about Roco trains throughout my time on this forum. I hope that's OK? They're Roco A/C models for my Marklin layout, so it is Marklin related.

Because I model Danish railways, Marklin doesn't offer what I was after, so bought Roco. I can hopefully add some Marklin locos later :-)

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2015 15:44:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I don't think there is a problem asking questions about Roco locos, Viessmann signals, Uhlenbrock decoders, ESU controllers or whatever, as long as it is MRR related.

The site even has a link to Roco:
https://www.marklin-users.net/Linkomatic#Other

Maybe you will get an authorized answer from Webmaster or an administrator.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2015 04:21:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Morsing

Like many other modellers, I have many manufacturer's products in my collection because my collection is based on a theme (Swiss trains) rather than on a brand. It just happens that my trains all work on the Maerklin system (3 rails AC).

Go ahead and ask your questions and we will try to help you as much as possible. You can also send specific inquiries to roco(at)roco.cc if you require additional information

Regards

Mike C

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2015 04:52:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Morsing,

I had the same issue, Märklin didn't produce many ÖBB locos and some of them had been revised models with different paint scheme but as a whole it was mainly DB orientated. carriages was another problem so I searched for other manufacturers and came up with Roco, they had plenty of ÖBB locos, carriages (1:87 = 303mm) , I did also buy Swedish locos and another Railway company SBB and BLS.
Swiss locos from Märklin was another repeat production especially the Crocodile, Ae 6/6 Ae 3/6 and than introduced us to the Re 4/4/IV and Re 6/6, also on the production line earlier on they've produced the Red Arrow, Ae 4/4/I (3011) and a steam loco, so Switzerland got a better deal than Austria.
Of course we had the critics, everything Roco is made of plastic, too many detailed accessories to be installed falling off etc etc. the fact is the collection of Roco locos I have none of these scenarios has happened, yes the housing is made of plastic but the frame is made of metal, they all have worm gears, the motor runs quite and their pulling power is sometimes greater than one of the Märklin locos.
Märklin and Roco dragged their feet introducing led lights and of course we all know about yellow led's.

besides all the effort to discourage or tarnish this brand I have been very happy with Roco locos and they have been performing without a hitch but they also lack the improvement some other manufacturers like Märklin has undertaken with the 21 pin decoder. Roco unfortunately lost the contract with ESU and now all the locos are fitted with Zimo decoders which is good thing but if you want to program these decoders with an ESU Lokprogrammer you're limited in doing so.
As a third party, my locos have been getting along fine and I had no problem with either manufacturer, they all fit in nicely into my environment, whether its winter or summer, sunny or raining, they do their job as required.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2015 13:02:31(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have been asking questions about Roco trains throughout my time on this forum. I hope that's OK? They're Roco A/C models for my Marklin layout, so it is Marklin related.

Because I model Danish railways, Marklin doesn't offer what I was after, so bought Roco. I can hopefully add some Marklin locos later :-)

Thanks

Hello Morsing,

I suspect many of us have some Roco and other brands such as HAG in our collections.

I guess this would be for a variety of reasons. In my case I tend to model locomotives and trains on which I traveled in Europe in the early 1980's when I became interested in MRR. Hence I model mostly German but also Swiss and Austrian locos/trains; I became primarily interested in Märklin in 1983.

In the early 1980's I also became interested in models of the DB VT 98 railcar. At the time I felt the Märklin model was not as nice as the Roco model so I bought the 3 rail Roco version. I have since changed it to digital :

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Also around the same time I thought the VT 11.5 was a beautiful train and obtained the Roco version (later changing it to digital) :

UserPostedImage

It was not until quite a few years later that Märklin made a version which I felt was much better (; now having this I have since sold the Roco version):

UserPostedImage

I was also very interested in the TEE locos and in particular the DB 112. Roco made the only 3 rail in this at the time:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

and it was not until many years later that Märklin made a similar one.

Finally, I became enamored with the ÖBB 1044 loco during the early 1980's. This one, if I recall correctly, I saw at München ? :

UserPostedImage

and this one took us from Zürich to Wien for a weekend escapade (Eurail pass incited spontaneous travel!!)

UserPostedImage

To my knowledge, Märklin have never made a model of the ÖBB 1044. The only 3 rail one I could find was made by Roco and the
only one in the livery similar to the one above I could find on the internet was at a shop in a small city in Italy, and here it is :

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

So, I do wonder if other märklineers have some Roco for similar reasons ?

Regards,

PJ

(I also have some HAG in the same manner)

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2015 13:57:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
another point I like to make about Roco, I don't know exactly when but Roco did change the motor and the circuit board with an 8 pin socket, the armature instead of having straight magnets was now on an angle and I think the idea behind it, was better running characteristics.

if you,re thinking of acquiring a Roco loco make sure they've got the numbers 68..., 69... on them or later 78... anything else would have the old motor and most probably no digital circuit board, to find out about earlier locos with the numbers 43...you can search Google or Roco.cc to make sure they've got the new motor and digital circuit board. I do buy DC locos as well as I run them from the overhead system and if you find a cheap DC loco for sale you always can find out whether they make it in AC as well and you just buy the spare parts if they are still available and if not sure always ask members of this forum for further information if needed, to change over a loco from DC to AC is rather simple, all you have to do is unsolder 2 wires and solder them together on each end with the track wire, to find out which wire is from the track take a multimeter and use the overhead connection and one of the track wires on the circuit board if they show a connection between both solder pads you know you've got the centre stud or slider connection.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode