Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline trainstamp  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2015 16:04:14(UTC)
trainstamp

United States   
UserPostedImage

The decoder in this photo is in my Trix 2-8-2 (US version) and I would like to know what model it is (V2.0, V3.0, V3.5, V4.0, etc.) so I can connect a mini relay to it for a Seuthe smoke generator. Help with where to connect the relay on the decoder will be greatly appreciated and thanks.
Richard in Vermont
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2015 17:59:29(UTC)
H0

That's an ESU LokSound V3 or V3.5 (only difference is the firmware).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline trainstamp  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2015 18:21:25(UTC)
trainstamp

United States   
Thank you Tom. Any idea where I cn find a diagram of this decoder so I will know where to connect a smoke gen. relay?
Richard in Vermont
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2015 21:22:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You can try the source:

ESU LLC
23 Howard Street
Montoursville Pennsylvania 17754
USA TECH SUPPORT
For USA, Canada & Australia:
Monday, Wednesday & Friday 8am - 4pm (EST)
Phone: +1 570-980-1982
Fax: +1 866-591-6440

You could also check with Hartmann Model Railroad in Intervale, NH, who may be able to assist you.

Regards

Mike C
Offline 3rail4life  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2015 05:27:25(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Richard,

The ESU website and forum are great sources of information on their current and previous products.

ESU

After looking at your pictures and based from what I have seen on the ESU site I would not be so sure about the decoder being a LS 3.0 / 3.5., to my eyes it looks very much like a LS 2.0, the 3Mbit version

Loksound 2

ESU LS2

The ESU manuals can be found here:

ESU former products

Cheers,
Gordon

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2015 07:31:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: trainstamp Go to Quoted Post
Any idea where I cn find a diagram of this decoder so I will know where to connect a smoke gen. relay?
IIRC I gave you a link to the ESU site where you find the manuals - in one of those threads you started earlier about the same loco (and where we already discussed that it is a LokSound 3).

ESU site with manuals:
http://www.esu.eu/en/dow...manuals/former-products/

The decoder probably is an OEM version with some restrictions.
Before doing some soldering you should check whether AUX1 and/or AUX2 can be activated - this may require CV changes in the function mapping area and you should verify these changes are not needed or not prohibited.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 3rail4life  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2015 09:08:20(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
That's an ESU LokSound V3 or V3.5 (only difference is the firmware).

Tom, I am not an expert when it comes to ESU decoders, but I am trying to learn. From this picture Richard posted a link to, I would have to say this appears to be very similar to a LokSound 2.0 3MBIT

ESU LokSound 2.0 (3MBit)

ESU LS 2.0

ESU LokSound 3.5

ESU LS3.5

When I had this same Trix loco in my shop about a year ago, I chose not to mess with the decoder or its settings, and just installed the smoke unit in the recommended manor. It's a very nice model, I really did not want to change anything internally.

Now that I have a lokprogrammer, if I were to do it all over again, maybe I would give function mapping a try, to see if it is possible, then try adding a relay to to the aux 1 (140ma max) to drive the smoke unit, it sounds like it may work if the decoder can be properly programmed. I just wonder if it can even be done with this OEM decoder.

Richard, enjoy your locomotive, its great the way it is, but if you can can add digital smoke function that would be cool tooCool.

PS, if it your loco had a 3.0/3.5 LS you would probably not need a relay, as they have 250ma function outputs.

Gordon

Edited by user 01 May 2015 15:28:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2015 09:33:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
From this picture Richard posted a link to, I would have to say this is appears to be very similar to a LokSound 2.0 3MBIT
Blushing Most likely you're right. Problem remains the same: can AUX1 or AUX2 be activated from function keys?
But a different manual has to be used.

I read so many positive comments about the good sound of the Trix Mikados that I assumed it had to be a V3 decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage