Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2015 20:43:39(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
There are unfortunately many accidents on railroads due to derailments and other causes. One that stands out for me are accidents at crossings and platforms. Here in the Chicago land area, which is a main hub for many railroads, it seems weekly that there is some accident at a crossing or platform due to someone ignoring warnings posted at these sites. Almost all are due to the person driving around crossings, standing on tracks when the gates are down, or walking across tracks to reach a station or a different platform.
They are all winners of the Darwin Awards in my opinion. Is it the same in other countries especially with high speed trains?
One story that sticks to my mind is that one man coming home from a bar was standing on a platform waiting for a rapid transit train (CTA). Ignoring a sign posted not to do he relieved himself from the platform and the current from the third rail arced back to him. The family sued the CTA and won the lawsuit. Fred
Offline MS 800  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2015 21:09:31(UTC)
MS 800

Germany   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
... winners of the Darwin Awards ...

Hi, Fred,

I'll have to memorize this phrase BigGrin. This is exactly my opinion, too - natural selection is inevitable. Seems to me that some people have lost their sense for danger or maybe never been tought it.

The difference to the US is, that over here you cannot gain anything in court being a winner of this kind of award.

Best

MS 800
When we were kids we enjoyed our tinplate trains rattling over tinplate tracks - nowadays they're in need of sound decoders.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MS 800
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2015 21:37:40(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
The family sued the CTA and won the lawsuit. Fred

Jurors were probably as stupid as the plaintiff, so we should expect no less.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2015 01:04:22(UTC)
petestra

United States   
There are unfortunately many accidents on railroads due to derailments and other causes. One that stands out for me are accidents at crossings and platforms. Here in the Chicago land area, which is a main hub for many railroads, it seems weekly that there is some accident at a crossing or platform due to someone ignoring warnings posted at these sites. Almost all are due to the person driving around crossings, standing on tracks when the gates are down, or walking across tracks to reach a station or a different platform.
They are all winners of the Darwin Awards in my opinion. Is it the same in other countries especially with high speed trains?
One story that sticks to my mind is that one man coming home from a bar was standing on a platform waiting for a rapid transit train (CTA). Ignoring a sign posted not to do he relieved himself from the platform and the current from the third rail arced back to him. The family sued the CTA and won the lawsuit. Fred

This only proves my point about ca.1/2 of our country, Fred. They are dumber than dirt! Cheers,Peter Glare
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2015 01:15:31(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Originally Posted by: MS 800 Go to Quoted Post
... winners of the Darwin Awards ...

Hi, Fred,

I'll have to memorize this phrase BigGrin. This is exactly my opinion, too - natural selection is inevitable. Seems to me that some people have lost their sense for danger or maybe never been tought it.

The difference to the US is, that over here you cannot gain anything in court being a winner of this kind of award.

Best

MS 800

Here in the States there is now a phrase "Low Information Voter" unfortunately they can not weeded out by natural selection.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline sjlauritsen  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2015 06:18:43(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
In Denmark most crossings are being closed and replaced by bridges or the road is simply closed. There are still a lot of crossings left, but the most dangerous of them are heavily guarded with crossing gates and lights. There are disrespectful people who ignores this and if they get run over by the train, well, that's their bad luck. You do not win a lawsuit, if you fall into the "common sense should have told you otherwise"-category. It does not help you if you are drunk, you might even get a fine for your behaviour, should you live to tell the tale.

The engine driver on the other hand is sent to sessions with a therapist to learn to deal with the traumatic experience - fully paid for of course.

The family sued the CTA and won the lawsuit.

What was the reason for the outcome to turn in favor of the "Darwin Winner"? Because normally a warning sign should be sufficient. If you warn against possible lethal dangers with signs and yet still risk being convicted if someone ignores them, you might as well just stop doing business.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Br502362  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2015 07:19:56(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

Darwin awards winners exist everywhere. I remember an enduro motorcycle race which I participated back in 1983. One rider who rode before me came to a guarded railroad crossing on a move to next special stage. We stopped but he went on and zig zagged between the booms. Idiotic move from him! And there was plenty of time to get to the next time check point.

He drove faster than me so he was about 1-2 minutes ahead from me. We raced a couple special stages and next time I saw him he was dead. He had driven to an unguarded railway crossing on a normal sand road and ignored all warning signs so he crashed to a passenger train!!!

When I came to the railway crossing the first sign from him was a single glove lying on the road. The rest was then in the ditch and along the railroad...

Maybe this is a proof to that "You get what you order"?

Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline PJMärklin  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2015 12:04:47(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
The family sued the CTA and won the lawsuit. Fred

Jurors were probably as stupid as the plaintiff, so we should expect no less.

Hi despondent ones,

We had a case in this country some years ago of a burglar who sought to break into a warehouse through the roof. Whilst walking across the roof he fell through a skylight with injuries and successfully sued the warehouse owner.

Where are we headed in this world?

Regards,

PJ

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline MS 800  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2015 21:09:45(UTC)
MS 800

Germany   
Hi PJ,

maybe there was no sign on top of the roof saying "beware, skylight not apt for load carrying". Did the burglar eventually argue that he in fact was the roofer? And maybe that he only stole those things from the warehouse, in order to alleviate his pain from falling down Confused

There should be signposts saying "Beware of judges!" in any manager's office in countrys where judgements like these are pronounced.

Best

MS 800

Edited by user 02 January 2017 16:07:10(UTC)  | Reason: typo: slylight corrected to skylight.

When we were kids we enjoyed our tinplate trains rattling over tinplate tracks - nowadays they're in need of sound decoders.
Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 26 April 2015 12:49:07(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Dutch railways NS/Prorail try to do away with level crossings as much as possible,just to try and prevent collisions with vehicles and people.
Main reasons for delayed trains on our dense railwaynetwork are:

A. False fire alarms in railwaytunnels,mainly around Rotterdam and Amsterdam Schiphol airport

B. Socalled accidents involving a person,in plain language: suicide.

Last week there was a deadly accident with a socalled beerbike,it got stuck on a level crossing with warningbells sounding and beams going down.
One person was not able to leave the bike in time and was killed by the approaching train at full speed.
A beerbike accomodates a number of people drinking from a tabletop whilst at the same time pushing the bike.
There is a debate whether these vehicles should be allowed on the public roads,like normal pushbikes.

The latter picture shows a most unfortunate accident at Teuge,Holland,were a person in a car decided to commit suicide and wait for the train to pass,he succeeded.
The result was demolished track and overheadlines,severe damage to the train,and a seriously disrupted schedule for over a week.,
The train itself was the least worry,these older cummutertrains are about to be scrapped anyway.
It is the socalled Material 64 (1964),a rather noisy (brakes) but popular traintype,able to withstand the harsh Dutch winters.
NS1200 attached the following image(s):
Bierbike.jpg
bierfiets.jpg
zelfmoord.jpg
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).