Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jvuye  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2015 11:33:43(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello all,

This one is IMHO a **must see** for anyone coming to visit Europe / Switzerland!

I just returned from a one week trip to Switzerland to take yet another good look at the last months of the Gotthard line as we know it, a ride on the Brünig line and the beautiful Chemin de Fer du Kaeserberg in Fribourg.

The Chemin de fer du Kaeserberg had long been on my list of "not to visit" , because of the way (" our way or the highway") I was greeted when I tried to make arrangements for a visit by overseas visitors when it originally opened.

But things have drastically changed today to be **exactly the opposite**. We had planned to be there at 11h30 AM for the last morning "departure", but we arrived 3 minutes late..and the next "trip" would normally have been 14h30. "But no problem, monsieur, we understand! We'll schedule another departure, just for you at 12:00, and you can even select the language of the documentary."

Very friendly, very accommodating, very professional.

The place is as well organized and clean as anything you could imagine for Switzerland ThumpUp Wink ...enough said!

The layout is **absolutely spotless**, both technically and visually.
The (analog) trains are operated by computers , with many individual track sections allowing a truly fine control of the whole set-up.
We were given extensive explanation on these choices, and quite frankly, considering the problem at hand, this was the best approach to choose in this case.

We did not witness a single incident, hick-up or otherwise abnormalities.

The train dispatchers converse in a subdued voice tone over headsets, and control switches and itineraries via large panels , just like the real thing.
The atmosphere is very quiet,(I guess everybody goes "speechless" when they enter the large room...) and the soft rolling noises heard come from the trains traveling through the magnificent landscape.

We were even treated to a behind the scene tour of the layout, inside the gigantic spiral bringing trains from the huge double decked shadow station in the basement to the first floor.

Special mention goes to the narrow gauge section...simply unbelieveable and very ...Swiss! Wink Smile

We were also shown intimate details of all the various construction techniques used over the 17 years it took to create this marvel.

I have seen many large layouts, but for my own taste, this one is definitely the best I have seen : enough trains, but not too crowded with still a lot of landscapes. perfect operation, prototypical trains, perfect lighting with natural colours.

Perfection!

Don't miss it!

NB: I will soon add a short video to this post as soon as I 'll have it uploaded !

http://www.kaeserberg.ch/en-us/home.aspx
jvuye attached the following image(s):
liteP4178160-1.jpg
liteP4178163-1.jpg
liteP4178164-1.jpg
LiteP4178165-1.jpg
LiteP4178166-1.jpg
liteP4178169-1.jpg
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2015 14:48:09(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
As promised , here's the short video.
My apologies for the poor resolution and the shaking, I was simply using my smartphone

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Unholz  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2015 16:53:33(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

The Chemin de fer du Kaeserberg had long been on my list of "not to visit" , because of the way (" our way or the highway") I was greeted when I tried to make arrangements for a visit by overseas visitors when it originally opened.

ThumpUp

Actually, I visited the layout shortly after it opened some years ago, and at that time my impressions were very, very "hybrid" (I'm trying to find a suitable expression Wink ). "The rigid, sterile and bloodless concept is the result of what happens when a rich guy wants to throw around his money", was one of my nicer comments then... OhMyGod BTW, even photography on the premises was strictly forbidden at the beginning.

But since then I have heard quite a number of reports similar to yours; things really seem to have improved. I guess I'll give them a second chance this summer and investigate. Wink

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2015 17:32:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

ThumpUp

Actually, I visited the layout shortly after it opened some years ago, and at that time my impressions were very, very "hybrid" (I'm trying to find a suitable expression Wink ). "The rigid, sterile and bloodless concept is the result of what happens when a rich guy wants to throw around his money", was one of my nicer comments then... OhMyGod BTW, even photography on the premises was strictly forbidden at the beginning.

But since then I have heard quite a number of reports similar to yours; things really seem to have improved. I guess I'll give them a second chance this summer and investigate. Wink

Hello Stefan!
Good to read some from one of the "local" guys!Wink Smile
That you had "mixed" feelings about them in the beginning is totally understandable, is not different from what most of us thought at the time, yours truly in the first place.
But I dealt , both on the phone and on location, with extremely friendly people.
One of the dispatchers, when he understood we were enthusiastic model railroader, asked one of his colleagues to take his place for a while, so that he could give us the extra treatment and spend time with us.
Every single question was answered, every little technical detail was explained, nothing seemed to be a "secret".
They were even open about a couple of trains that were noisier: "we are going to have to do something about that whiner Transalpino consist, just troublesome like the real one"BigGrin
That there are days where they are closed is easily explainable: they conduct then a perfect maintenance of the installations , so that on "show days" the impression is ...well...like a precision and complicated Swiss watch like the ones build in the region!
The place is also easy to access by car, parking space is plentiful and clean.
So if he ever threw his money around, I must say the result is perfect.
The owner even came personally by the entrance to bid us welcome.
What more can I say? Cool Smile Wink
Let us know what you think after your visit.
Cheers
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2015 23:42:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Jacques,
Thankyou for showing the layout, it is extremely impressive.
A couple of questions, if I may.
1. What scale/gauge is used?
2. Is it 2 rail or 3 rail?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2015 13:50:42(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jacques,
Thankyou for showing the layout, it is extremely impressive.
A couple of questions, if I may.
1. What scale/gauge is used?
2. Is it 2 rail or 3 rail?

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball!
It is HO, _2 rails, analog locos.
Trains have fixed compositions and in most cases the first car behind the locos participate to the power pick up.
Computers control the power supply to the various sections and dispatchers control signals and switches, under computer supervision to avoid conflicting routes.
Hope this answers the questions.
Cheers
Jacques
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2015 17:15:17(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very big giant layout, thanks for sharing the pictures.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.