Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Profpetrof  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2015 09:03:51(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
Hi All,

I am interested in automation, and is looking at different options. Currently I have simple block control using a M84 only, with contact tracks but is looking at options to expand using a S88 decoder.

The price of the CS2 is rediculous in South Africa, so I am looking at alternatives.

I already have a MS2 and connector box which is driving my trains.

My question is whether the CS1 is a viable option, will it work with the MS2, can it update the MS2, and can it do digital block control, with route planning together with the S88 modules?

In addition, what components will I need to incorporate the CS1? Transformer? Different Connector Box? Does the MS2 plug into the CS1, or does both plug into the same connector box?

Any alternatives will also be welcome.

Kind Regards,
Andries
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2015 09:18:30(UTC)
H0

Hi!

A CS1 with ESU update is a modern controller (an ESU ECoS with a Märklin label) - a CS1 without ESU update is a limited controller.
The CS1 cannot update the MS2. The MS2 can be connected to the sniffer port, but not to the CAN bus. No connector box needed for the CS1 (connector track 24088 or box 60115 can be used, but any feeder track will do).

A transformer or power supply is needed for the CS1.

Alternatives: ESU ECoS 50000 or 50200.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Profpetrof  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2015 11:42:41(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

A CS1 with ESU update is a modern controller (an ESU ECoS with a Märklin label).

Is there a way to update the ESU ECoS to the latest software?

Any benefit in going to a modern ESU controller?

All I want to do is have switches that are toggled through contact tracks. It is getting way to complicated for such a simple thing. The M84 can do it for block control, just wish there was a M83 with inputs.

Is it worth looking at the old Marklin Digital Memory and Keyboard? They are also fairly cheap.

Regards,
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2015 11:59:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Profpetrof Go to Quoted Post
All I want to do is have switches that are toggled through contact tracks.
For an analogue solution, look at the 7244 Universal Relay to control track power - or use old signals like 7039.
Switches can be connected to circuit tracks for simple automation tasks. Just don't stop anything with a slider on those circuit tracks to prevent permanent activation of switches.

For really complex operations you will need PC control.
For less complex operations, a Viessmann Commander will be sufficient.
In both cases, trains will stop smoothly at red signals with lights and sounds on.

Or wire all the logic into relays (like the 7244 or 7039) - this will work with analogue and digital track voltage, but trains stop abruptly at red signals without lights or sounds.

Re ESU ECoS: Updates are available on the Internet. Use a computer to upload them to the ECoS.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage