Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Artologic  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2015 12:29:40(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Everyone,

I m kind of dazzled, I have a not so old marklin z br24 with 5 pole anker, that has been worn in in the middle of the collector (Photo attached). The train hasn t been used very much and got it s maintainance when required (including checking for foreign debris), but still it happened. Who can tell me what has happened and what I should do next (send it in to replace the motor anker or is it fixable)?

Kind Regards,
Kristof
Artologic attached the following image(s):
1970-01-01 01.00.00-299.jpg
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2015 04:46:17(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: Artologic Go to Quoted Post
Hey Everyone,

I m kind of dazzled, I have a not so old marklin z br24 with 5 pole anker, that has been worn in in the middle of the collector (Photo attached). The train hasn t been used very much and got it s maintainance when required (including checking for foreign debris), but still it happened. Who can tell me what has happened and what I should do next (send it in to replace the motor anker or is it fixable)?

Kind Regards,
Kristof

Is there a problem with the operation of this locomotive? I have seen worse looking ones from customers and they still run fine. Looks like this collector simply needs to be cleaned.

I might think that you had the brushes too tight pinching onto the collector. How worn down are the brushes?

If it is running rough, try a new set of brushes more loosely installed. If that doesn't help, yes, you need a new anker since the shaft is damaged.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Artologic  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2015 11:55:20(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Well I had the tendency to run irregularly, especially at medium speed. The collector has been cleaned in the meanwhile, I just wanted to show how it was at that moment, also the grooves between the collector have been picked clean. The brushes are up for replacement anyway, since they are at their end, but I wanted to determine first if the collector was up for replacement, but since I loosened the brushes up it runs more regularly. I m going to order new ones now :-).

There is one thing I noticed (on other engines too), they run slow and when turning the knob, they "jump" to higher speed, is this a mini club typical thing or is it the speed controller acting up?

Thanks for the help so far!
Kristof
Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2015 18:13:25(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
There is one thing I noticed (on other engines too), they run slow and when turning the knob, they "jump" to higher speed, is this a mini club typical thing or is it the speed controller acting up?
Kristof

While this is most likely a conductivity issue, I have noticed this behavior specific to a few Rokuhan RC-02's when I was doing a 100% test prior to shipping. Which controller are you using?
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Artologic  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2015 18:28:38(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
I m using a marklin electronic 05, which came with startset 8163s. What do you mean with the conductivity issue?
Offline zscalehobo  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2015 20:46:20(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
I m using a marklin electronic 05, which came with startset 8163s. What do you mean with the conductivity issue?

The application of current between the brush and the armature. A conductivity issue. The inability of current to be applied consistently across the two surfaces.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com