Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vikramvi  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2015 21:25:49(UTC)
vikramvi

Germany   
Dear All,

I have recently started with train modelling and purchased Marklin 29183 H0 pack.

While playing with it got few basic queries , can someone please clarify below doubts

1. How does Engine gets the electricity from , I know it's from track which is connected to a receiver. I need more detailed answer from technical point of view

2. I have a remote with 4 different levels in it , does it mean I can buy 3 more locomotive and control them with single remote ?

3. How exactly this remote controls works ?

I'm a mechanical engineer , don't know much about electrical / electronics but would love to read and explore more.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Vikram
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2015 22:05:50(UTC)
H0

Hi, Vikram!

Re 1: There always is the full voltage on the track. The decoder (receiver) in the loco controls the power flow to the motor.
Re 2: That remote control supports four different addresses for four different locos (but power may just be enough to have two locos running at the same time).
Re 3: IR controller. The "brain" is in the track box. The power on track changes the polarity frequently (around 10,000 Hz) and the polarity changes transport the information.
You can use more than one IR controllers with one track box - if you get another, similar starter set.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dangermouse  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2015 14:18:55(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Look up the older "Delta" protocol, as that's essentially the same as the IR remotes.

There are four specific addresses used by these controllers, if you buy any older locos with the DIP switches on the decoder to set the address then you'll need a table of address settings (and which addresses your locos need to have in order for the controller to operate them). You can operate both Delta and Digital locos.

Some older locos have a hard-wired address, you may or may not encounter them depending on where your interests lie. If you want models of locos from the '70s and '80s you often end up buying models from that era.

I'm not sure how you go about programming the newer decoders to work with this controller, but I'd imagine there's something in the manual explaining how to change the address.
You can never have too many Silberlinge