Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2015 01:45:04(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Since Cookie's thread about "6041 Switchboard - corroded battery check - info re internal battery corrosion - bad damage" I started to wonder "IF" the MS2 and CS2 have batteries ?

I assume that they use either EEPROM / NVRAM or similar but lets face it, logic is not always a strong point when it comes to cost cutting in design.

Likewise logic would dictate a access hatch if they did use a battery especially in the case of the CS2 but I've seldom seen easy access in laptops to the RTC battery so logic does not always apply.

I thought I had at some stage stumbled across a schematic for the CS2 but after looking everywhere I can think of I can not find one let alone photos of a CS2 stripped down.

Does anyone know if there are breakdown photos or schematic of the CS2 lurking on the net somewhere ? There well could be on one of the German sites however my German is nowhere near good enough to go searching for technical terms.

I realise I am most likely worrying about nothing however I won't be a happy chappie if in around 12 months time when I get around to unpacking all my train gear I find 3 useless MS2's and a CS2 due to battery cancer.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2015 14:22:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Since Cookie's thread about "6041 Switchboard - corroded battery check - info re internal battery corrosion - bad damage" I started to wonder "IF" the MS2 and CS2 have batteries ?

I assume that they use either EEPROM / NVRAM or similar but lets face it, logic is not always a strong point when it comes to cost cutting in design.

Likewise logic would dictate a access hatch if they did use a battery especially in the case of the CS2 but I've seldom seen easy access in laptops to the RTC battery so logic does not always apply.

I thought I had at some stage stumbled across a schematic for the CS2 but after looking everywhere I can think of I can not find one let alone photos of a CS2 stripped down.

Does anyone know if there are breakdown photos or schematic of the CS2 lurking on the net somewhere ? There well could be on one of the German sites however my German is nowhere near good enough to go searching for technical terms.

I realise I am most likely worrying about nothing however I won't be a happy chappie if in around 12 months time when I get around to unpacking all my train gear I find 3 useless MS2's and a CS2 due to battery cancer.

I know the cs1 had batteries, but the ms1 doesn't. By doing a proper shut down on the cs1 it saved the information into some form of NVRAM, but the batteries were there to act as a back up if the power was removed without a proper shut down. Later software revisions of the cs1 appear to make the batteries redundant, and I suspect that the cs2 is the same, and has never needed batteries.