Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2015 08:51:50(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello,
the AC version of the Roco ET 485 comes with a standard pickup shoe, similar to the Märklin pickup shoe. But it is very easy to replace it by a silent pickup shoe. It need only a few modification. With some parts from the Roco pickup shoe and from the Märklin silent pickup shoe E144133, a new silent pickup shoe is created within a few minutes.

This is the original one from Roco

UserPostedImage

Here, You can see the original one and Märklin E144133

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Remove the plastic plate:

UserPostedImage

Place the plate from Roco into the one from Märklin:

UserPostedImage

Now cut the middle part from Roco:

UserPostedImage

remove the lower part of the pickup shoe to be able to reach the screw and place the cutted part in the middle:

UserPostedImage

and screw it in tight:

UserPostedImage

Then reassemble the removed lower part:

UserPostedImage

Here, You can see, that the pickup shoe has full space to deflect:

UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2015 20:21:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Would it not have been simpler to simply use the Roco Flusterschleifer, which replaces the original part in the Roco catalogue?
http://www.roco.cc/de/se...sterschleifer/index.html
http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-006001/products.html
The same design is currently also used by LS Models and other manufacturers.

Regards

Mike C
Offline waorb  
#3 Posted : 24 March 2015 20:44:35(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hello.

In my subjective perception, I think this "new" silent pickup shoe isn't so reliable... short answer I prefer the old ones...

I have a few loks with this kind of pickup shoes and sometimes I feel that the loks fails to get the energy from the tracks...
This "perception" doesn't occurs on loks with the olds...

It's something only on my mind, or it's for real?

Also, this new ones seems to be more fragile... if you push/pull 1% more, they already bend...

Opinions? Unsure

Cheers,

Walter

(sorry for slightly push the subject off-topic...) RollEyes
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#4 Posted : 24 March 2015 22:12:51(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Would it not have been simpler to simply use the Roco Flusterschleifer, which replaces the original part in the Roco catalogue?

Hello Mike,
the Roco 40500 has a price of 11,40€! The Märklin one is available for 1,95€. The second point is, that You can see, that the screw will have no contact to the pickup shoe. Therefore, You need a part like I used to create the contact, too.

And last point, the Roco silent pickup shoe is to wide! It doesn't fit into the available space, because of this damn black plastic around. The Märklin silent pickup shoe fits perfectly with 5,3mm wideness, the Roco silent pickup shoe is 8mm wide!

Regards,
Moritz
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#5 Posted : 24 March 2015 22:15:33(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post

In my subjective perception, I think this "new" silent pickup shoe isn't so reliable... short answer I prefer the old ones...

Hello Walter,
I got no problems with the silent pickup shoe. It works better than the old style ones. And, it is much more quiet! With slow and medium speed, I can't really hear the pickup shoe on the Märklin M-rails.

The silent pickup shoes are worth, especially when You are using sound locos. And they have great electric contact, because they are more flexible.

Offline waorb  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2015 13:29:54(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
The silent pickup shoes are worth, especially when You are using sound locos. And they have great electric contact, because they are more flexible.

Hello Moritz!

Well, on this days I have only C-tracks... decades ago was M-tracks... maybe yes, on M-tracks the noise could be more annoying...

But that is the point, the flexibility... to me both parts (the gold and silver) isn't so tight connected... the pieces are a little loose among them.

I have at least one lok with this kind of pickup shoe: 37549 - Steam lokomotive Serie 4600 (ex Baureihe 55)

This one uses the part number E138079 (instead of yours E144133). From photos on the internet, seems that they are slightly diferent - something that's not worth it.

I remember that I needed to bend it a little, little bit to make a 'V' instead of leave it original flat... so the lok could get energy all the time...

Perhaps I need to get used to this new kind of part... RollEyes

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb