Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2015 19:55:36(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The Dutch news on the Märklin site can be found here:
http://www.marklin.nl/nieuws/kwaliteitscontrole/

Rumours say locos were boxed before the paint had dried and now fluffs and lint are stuck in the paint.

Google translation:
"On the basis of findings by the quality the further extradition of Märklin models 37126 and 37127 will be resumed in mid April 2015. On this site will be mentioned this. Already extradited models are approved by the quality control.
This means that the said provision of the Märklin model 37126 electric locomotive NS 1222 in the article of March 4 and the said delivery of the Märklin model 37127 electric locomotive NS 1203 in the article of December 31, 2014 has been put temporarily stop.
Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience."
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark_1602  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2015 20:45:12(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi,

That's intriguing. So Märklin has quality control after all, but the fact that a locomotive has passed that doesn't seem to mean much any longer. Out of four new locomotives that I have bought so far this year, two had to be returned (37942 and recently 39674). 37942 came back two days ago, but a small plastic part of one bogie is broken and missing, so I'll send it back to Göppingen again. None of the four ladders beneath the doors of my 39674 had been properly painted, and the motor made a lot of noise, so I sent it back to the dealer. Obviously both locomotives had passed quality control.

If a company wants to lose its customer base, that's the way to do it ...

Best regards,
Marc
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2015 21:18:05(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: M-Classics Go to Quoted Post
Hi
That's intriguing. So Märklin has quality control after all, but the fact that a locomotive has passed that doesn't seem to mean much any longer. Out of four new locomotives that I have bought so far this year, two had to be returned (37942 and recently 39674). 37942 came back two days ago, but a small plastic part of one bogie is broken and missing, so I'll send it back to Göppingen again. None of the four ladders beneath the doors of my 39674 had been properly painted, and the motor made a lot of noise, so I sent it back to the dealer. Obviously both locomotives had passed quality control.

If a company wants to lose its customer base, that's the way to do it ...

Best regards,
Marc

Yes
In fact I am starting to be bit worried myself.
All of my recent purchases have issues...
My Lyria TGV has a major speed discrepancy between the two power units, my SBB Rae TEE has coupler issues, my BR139 is **really noisy** in curves and so is my E44.
So, that is 100% of my locos purchases in the last 4 months...
On the other hand no issues with cars and coaches: I love my Helvetia coaches!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Mark_1602  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2015 17:38:13(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Yes
In fact I am starting to be bit worried myself.
All of my recent purchases have issues...
My Lyria TGV has a major speed discrepancy between the two power units, my SBB Rae TEE has coupler issues, my BR139 is **really noisy** in curves and so is my E44.
So, that is 100% of my locos purchases in the last 4 months...
On the other hand no issues with cars and coaches: I love my Helvetia coaches!

Hi Jacques,

I think that Mr Pluta and the interim managers who led the company between 2009 and 2013 did a good job in the first two or three years of the insolvency, but after 2011, they adopted a strategy of aggressive cost-cutting to maintain a profit margin of at least 10 per cent. Märklin had to look irresistible in the eyes of potential buyers, and the sale went ahead as planned, but the cost-cutting has backfired. Buying a Märklin locomotive has become a lottery; with a little luck, you'll get one that doesn't have any issue. My NSB Nohab (39671) is perfect, at least so far ...

Best regards,
Mark

Edit: I haven't pre-ordered any new items this year.
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2015 18:50:59(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

The Dutch news on the Märklin site can be found here:
http://www.marklin.nl/nieuws/kwaliteitscontrole/

Rumours say locos were boxed before the paint had dried and now fluffs and lint are stuck in the paint.

If this is truth,the locos has never been tested on the track too...LOL
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 24 March 2015 03:40:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is very nice to see Maerklin's Dutch distribution network getting Maerklin to stop distribution and do a recall on this model. I trust that those who are waiting for this model will get one that meets their expectations.

Over the past years, we have seen models released with missing wires and other flaws without the slightest objection from the Swiss distributor or Swiss dealers. Hopefully this Dutch example will set a precedent for future flawed models for all countries.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline minirail  
#7 Posted : 24 March 2015 06:41:16(UTC)
minirail

I have had a close look at a few 39550 locomotives and every locomotive has poor fitting handrails on the locomotive cab and tender. On each locomotive there are at least bent handrails as if the handrail is too big for the mounting holes. For such an expensive locomotive this poor quality. The production of this locomotive should also have been recalled.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by minirail
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#8 Posted : 10 June 2015 02:44:42(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
The latest I have from my dealer is that Marklin is doing a new run of this locomotive in June, for delivery in July.
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2015 15:30:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
may be is was a slow drying paint ? maybe the handrails belonged to a different loco. maybe the noise of the motor is a cheap version of a sound decoder.

maybe Märklin got shares in DHL or Deutsche Post and makes more money on all the returns, it's not an enjoyable page to read and this hobby supposed to be just that, joyful.

Quality control is a system where all procedures are very closely followed and executed and a daily information sheet is logged for later inspections. if you are interested in a proper quality control every part has to be examined, tested and verified so it passes the standards which have been set out in the beginning, so we are not talking about looks or it looks ok or this will do. furthermore if an item or part is not produced within the boundaries of a factory or the statuary limitation of a company, the supplier has to prove the parts are complying with said approved scientific standards.

a quality control can only exist if the participants are following rules and regulations and this should reflect in the every daily report and therefore measurements and adjustments should also be in place to correct errors, every error which occurs should be further examined so it will not appear by the next production and it also should show how it was achieved to prevent it from happening again.

ISO 9000 is the most common quality control system world wide but without following its guidelines anybody achieving this certificate could still cook the books.

Having worked under this system for over 20 years I can say Märklin has not met these standards and in no way would it be credited to have an international quality system certificate with constant recalls of various faults expressed here by members and other forums, claiming quality control is a here say and it hasn't got any merits when it comes to any scrutiny, its like these guarantee offers, they don't guarantee you a trouble free loco and if you believe it they have just secured another order from you.

these days we no longer can trust manufacturers to deliver a product without faults, major flaws, and sometimes with life threatening consequences or death.

as a whole, there seems to be a lot of money still floating around and people or train enthusiasts are still on the sprawl to secure their beloved model regardless of its side effects it has on the collector.

In this regard I always had strong principals, I've never returned to a company which has willfully defrauded me out of my money by means of white elephant phone calls for instance (Telstra= an Australian Telephone provider), Ford Motor company of Australia (Service Department), Woolworths, an Australian wide supermarket chain claims: we are the fresh food people and when you buy fresh food, it si either been in storage for 12 month, its imported and goes off within a day or is so old its not in my opinion suitable for eating purposes and I don't know how they ger away with it and Märklin has been on my list for a while, not totally written off but definitely restricted on and selected items and the financial situation to afford a loco for over Euro 400.00, its not completely out of my range but sending it back for repairs and paying another A$ 80. 00 would be in any other persons mind pure stupidity and you get another guarantee but how long will it last ?,. not an option I would like to take up

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline JakDah  
#10 Posted : 10 June 2015 21:36:47(UTC)
JakDah

Denmark   

Regarding Märklin "quality" control I have this story to tell.
When my dealer got his first batch of the 39670 NOHAB one was missing the housing (only the chassis was in the box).
I really cannot believe that Märklin could do that poor on quality inspection to ship out half a train.

Regards,
Jakob.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JakDah
H0
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 10 June 2015 21:52:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JakDah Go to Quoted Post
When my dealer got his first batch of the 39670 NOHAB one was missing the housing (only the chassis was in the box).
Officially every loco gets a test run before it is boxed.
If we should ever see a box containing a body without chassis, then I will really wonder how that "loco" absolved the test run. Confused

A chassis without body can surely pass the test run. Cool
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Mark_1602  
#12 Posted : 10 June 2015 21:56:31(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: JakDah Go to Quoted Post

Regarding Märklin "quality" control I have this story to tell.
I really cannot believe that Märklin could do that poor on quality inspection to ship out half a train.

Regards,
Jakob.

Hi Jakob,

In a way you're right. The new Märklin Nohab/AFB locomotives are not produced at a Märklin factory, but by a Chinese partner. I recently bought the 39760 and liked it at first, but one of the two screw threads in the die-cast house snapped, so one screw can't be fastened any longer. I've been a Märklin customer since 1975, and I've never seen that on a Märklin locomotive. I sent it back to the German dealer two days ago, and I'll get a refund through Paypal.

On top of that, it's not really prototypical. The roof should be light grey, not silver (as a Danish member of Stummis Forum has told me), and the door handles should be nickel, not dark red, as they weren't painted in reality. On my 39670 there was also a little spot of silver paint a few millimetres away from the roof. You can actually see that spot in my photos in the "Show Us Your Locomotives 2015" thread.

My 39674 was even worse as it had a really noisy motor and scratches on each of the four ladders underneath the doors, so I sent that one back some time ago but I'm waiting for a replacement. I had considered buying one of the new NS 1200 models, but after reading this thread I'll just wait and see.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

Offline JakDah  
#13 Posted : 10 June 2015 23:03:43(UTC)
JakDah

Denmark   
Tom: Hehe you are right. Of course the loco passed the test run....I did not consider that Laugh

Mark: I have the same problem with one of the screws. One can't be fastened and just turns around. It stays in place though so I don't expect to have it repaired.
Also there is a flaw in the paint job on my model by the top lantern:
20150610_223008.jpg

If you like to see some old picture of the real model I can recommend this page: http://jernbanen.dk/moto...mp;litra=MY&typenr=2
It is in Danish though but if you click the different litra numbers there are alot of pictures.

Regards,
Jakob.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JakDah
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 11 June 2015 18:04:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Jakob great link, thanks for sharing John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Mark_1602  
#15 Posted : 11 June 2015 18:31:15(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi Jakob,

Thanks for that information about the screw and the links. I wondered if more Nohabs had this problem with the broken thread, so now I know. You're right in saying that the body stays in place, but only as long as the second screw thread holds. If that one breaks as well, the chassis can just fall out. That's why I sent mine back to the shop and asked for a refund when I noticed that.

It's a sad story because I have nearly all the Danish models that Märklin has made since 1964, but now I can't buy the new MY diesels. Märklin should have made a really good Nohab/GM diesel at a higher price instead of this, and they should have made the MX as well. Out of five brand new Märklin locomotives I bought this year from official German dealers, three were warranty cases. Märklin shouldn't brag about the quality of its products in the introductions to the 2015 news catalogues if they can't deliver. That's adding insult to injury. ThumbDown

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602