Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cargodog  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2015 22:35:29(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hi again,

This time it's all about the ESU switch pilot.

I have an ECOS II, and understand I can control my switches from it if I use the switchpilot.

I need to control around 55 M track switches (Regular switches, slip switches, 3 way turn out). I've pretty much settled on the Switchpilot V2.0. However, there's also the Switchpilot extension. For some reason this seems to only be available in a V1.0?

Have I understood it properly when I say that 1 Switchpilot extension needs a Switchpilot to work? Ie, if each Switchpilot/Switchpilot extension can control 4 switches, I'd need 14 units. This means I could use 7 Switchpilots and 7 Switchpilot extensions. Is that correct?

I don't think the info on the ESU website is very good. I read on their website that the Switchpilot can control the motorized turnouts. The M track switches are not motorized. Surely there's no need to motorized them in order to use the Switchpilot?

It's quite an investment I'm about to make (not just in this area), so I'd like to know that I've got it right.

Thanks in advance,

Rene...
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cargodog
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2015 22:56:43(UTC)
H0

Hi, Rene!
Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post
This means I could use 7 Switchpilots and 7 Switchpilot extensions. Is that correct?
No. A SwitchPilot is like a Märklin k83. With extension it's like a k84.
So you would need 14 Switchpilots without any extensions. Or k83-type decoders from Märklin, Viessmann, Roco or other makers.

The M track switches are not motorized. Surely there's no need to motorized them in order to use the Switchpilot?
You do not need tortoise motors, but the turnouts must have solenoids (for operation with control panels).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Cargodog  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2015 23:48:02(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Rene!
This means I could use 7 Switchpilots and 7 Switchpilot extensions. Is that correct?
No. A SwitchPilot is like a Märklin k83. With extension it's like a k84.
So you would need 14 Switchpilots without any extensions. Or k83-type decoders from Märklin, Viessmann, Roco or other makers.

The M track switches are not motorized. Surely there's no need to motorized them in order to use the Switchpilot?
You do not need tortoise motors, but the turnouts must have solenoids (for operation with control panels).

Thanks for info (again), Tom,

I wasn't aware that I needed to modify my switches. Would you happen to know how much these solenoid cost, and a good place to purchase them online? It doesn't really matter of it's in the states or Europe, as I'll need it to be shipped to the Middle East anyway.

A quick search on eBay revealed a price of around 18 $ for one. That sounds very expensive. That would mean over 1000 $ just for solenoids. If that's the case, I guess I'll have to start out by powering my switches for analog operation. :-(
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2015 07:39:33(UTC)
H0

M track is not my area of expertise.

I assume that turnouts with lanterns always have the solenoid. Some - from starter sets - even came with a factory-installed decoder.
Turnouts with a lever do not have the solenoid ex works. And AFAIK the solenoid was not sold separately, so replacing the turnouts might be the best solution.

If your turnouts have lanterns then they probably have the solenoids and you will only need decoders.
If they have levers then they cannot even be operated remotely using control boxes. Conversion should be possible, maybe even using tortoise motors, but that is beyond my scope.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Cargodog  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2015 07:59:33(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
M track is not my area of expertise.

I assume that turnouts with lanterns always have the solenoid. Some - from starter sets - even came with a factory-installed decoder.
Turnouts with a lever do not have the solenoid ex works. And AFAIK the solenoid was not sold separately, so replacing the turnouts might be the best solution.

If your turnouts have lanterns then they probably have the solenoids and you will only need decoders.
If they have levers then they cannot even be operated remotely using control boxes. Conversion should be possible, maybe even using tortoise motors, but that is beyond my scope.

Yeah, I just did a bit more research, and you have just confirmed my findings. Indeed, it makes sense that you can't just use a decoder for a manual turnout. However, all my turnouts are the electrical turnouts with 1 yellow and 2 blue cables. Hence it should work with just the Switchpilot and no other accessory needed.

Thanks, Tom.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cargodog
H0