Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cargodog  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2015 22:05:10(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hi guys,

I'm back with more questions. I'm building a layout for the first time in 30 years, and have decided to do everything digital. In the old days I'd just hook my track up to my power supply via a single connector track (it may be called a Feeder track, I'm not sure). Apparently now the standard is to feed power to the track around every 1 meter (3 feet).

I'm using M track, and an Ecos II. The Ecos only has two power supply outlets (main line and programming track), as I'm sure you know. So here are my questions:

1) If the above is true, then that means roughly 120 individual feeder cables for my layout. That seems a bit much, but maybe that's necessary to ensure a reliable supply of current for digital operation?

2) Can I just run one main cable from my Ecos around the length of track, cut the cable every 1 meter, split the cable, connect to the track, and do the same every 1 meter? I hope that explanation makes sense?!

3) What kind of gauge cable would you use for this kind of wiring?

4) I know you can buy dedicated connector track, but can't I just make my own by soldering the cable onto my existing track pieces? It'll work just as well, right?

These are probably pretty basic questions, but I just want make sure I get it right from the start.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Rene
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline amartinezv  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2015 23:50:23(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

I have some märklin document where marklin recommends to put a wire every 2 meters of track, that is only a sugestion, it depends of the layout, its shape and if you find problems.

Märklin also recommends to use a wiring layout like a tree, thats mean a big branch, that divides in smallers branchs au to reach the track I have some pics

My layout

There's no need a special wire gauge, a standard that you can use in your house to power a lamp is enough to works well in your layout.

Best regards

Edited by moderator 20 March 2015 11:27:52(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed Youtube tags

Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline Cargodog  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2015 06:40:13(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Thanks, Martinez,

That answers most of my questions. Do you make your own feeder tracks by soldering the wire onto normal track pieces, like I suggested in question #4?

2 meter spacing seems a bit more doable, so I'll be going for that.

You layout looks great, by the way. It gave me some ideas for my layout, as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Rene
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2015 11:34:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Marklin recommend using wire with a cross section of 0.5mm square for their 5 amp boosters. You are using an Ecos with a 4 amp output, but it would not hurt to use 0.5mm sq wire.

Some people advocate using a feeder wire for every piece of track (for reliability sake), I use them every 2 to 3 metres.

To save having to solder wires, you can use Scotchloks (http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Red...&hash=item2eded6b25a), which are crimped on to your main feeder wire bus and have a secondary tap to run another wire off to your track.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline amartinezv  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2015 12:03:39(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Martinez,

That answers most of my questions. Do you make your own feeder tracks by soldering the wire onto normal track pieces, like I suggested in question #4?

2 meter spacing seems a bit more doable, so I'll be going for that.

You layout looks great, by the way. It gave me some ideas for my layout, as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Rene

Yes, I make my own feeder track soldering wire on normal tracks pieces.

Thanks to you, you're welcome

Best regards
Antonio Martínez

Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline Cargodog  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2015 12:28:46(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Thanks for info guys. Now I know what to go for, and how to wire the main line. Next up are the switches, and couplers, but that'll have to wait until I get the switch pilots.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers, Rene...