Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark5  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2015 04:51:12(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Gentlemen,

I am installing a two cross-spans [7017 classic catenary] over three short sidings in a small yard.
One of them I have customized by cutting and soldering to make it a bit shorter to fit.
Either way, I want to isolate the three tracks [analog] and so not just isolate the contact wire from the cross-span, but to isolate the wire in each of the three sidings—without using the 7022 insulator section. So I thought of using two 7006 cross span insulators adjacent to each other and then use either a 7003 feeder cable to each section, or solder wire to the wire in each section.

If anyone has done anything similar to this, I would love to hear how you did it.
Also wondering, has anyone had issues with pantos messing up around cross-span joint if one were to use two 7006 insulators against each other. Seems to me as long the wire is still on the panto it should not be a problem.

Also wondering if using the 7003 feeder cable directly to the wire, have you soldered it or had the contact sandwiched in between the 7006 and the contact wire. I remember seeing a diagram with the 7003 running along the span in one of the catalogs, but no longer remember the year.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be great!
- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline hennabm  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2015 10:01:19(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Mark

Across my station area I have the cross spans and each contact wire is also isolated due to the signalling and isolation of each signal section. I think this seems a similar idea to your plans.

To achieve my isolated sections I used the 7006 isolators and the 7003 feeder to each track. This fed into the signal for each section.

I've never had any problems with the panots going over the 7006 - even at high or low speed.

With the 7003 - I have followd the instructions and wedged them on the contact wires. They are pretty tight going on and again I've had no problems with them falling out or snagging on the pantos.

I do have pictures of my set up in my layout thread.
https://www.marklin-user...SBB-book.aspx#post387048

HTH

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Mark5  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2015 17:04:32(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks for your link Mike,

So in the fifth image of this post:
https://www.marklin-user...SBB-book.aspx#post396134

...you seem to have used two 7006 isolators up against each other with no snag issues.
That is helpful, and I have to see how to work it out for us, hopefully one day with time to post photos.
You have done loads of work on that catenary... great to see the photos, thank you.

Also like to see how you fit all your modules in your van.
Wondering how you connected the cables from one module to the next and then your control panel.
Would also be great to see a photo of what it looks like set up at the show or new location.

Cheers,
Mark

Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post

I do have pictures of my set up in my layout thread. ...

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline hennabm  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2015 20:28:29(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Mark

Yep the 7006 back to back cause no problems at all to any pantos.

The cables are joined between the modules by using either 9 or 25 pin male/female connectors found in most good computer stores and at MRC shows. I found the cheapest for me were from a company called Nairn models who could supply a 25 pin connector and cover for around £1 each. In some places in the UK they can be triple that.

The connections to the controllers are all std M plugs into the appropriate socket on the trafo or the control panel. Each one is tagged by a letter or a number to identify its location.
All the wires underneath are labelled as well so I know where to look if I have a problem.

All set up for a show - well here's an example of Perth last year;

UserPostedImage

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Mark5  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2015 21:49:19(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks Mike,

Nice shot, it seems to go together well!
How often have you gone through the routine?

Looked better at your thread and saw the pin connectors. I am planning to use centronics scsi connectors 50 pin and 36... but they are not really pins, they are the kind used with old printers... no pins to break off. I just use this to connect my control panel to my layout. I also found very cool rotary switches that will switch 36 pins/items at once in order to change modes from automatic train control to manual control modes. They take the centronics plugs too.
They wanted to get rid of them so I bought 15 of them
... and thought I'd eventually find other MMRers who might want them.

- Mark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5