Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BwanaJoe  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2015 04:45:55(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
I've been lurking for a while and finally have a question to post.

I've broken out the trains again and decided to set up a temp layout to do some testing in preparation for a full blown digital layout. It is a simple C track oval with a couple of turn-outs. It is linked into a first gen CS2 with the latest software.

I broke out the Hogwarts engine and it immediately fired the decoder and warped the tender from the heat. (Smoke actually poured out from the bottom) the CS threw an overload error but not in time to save the loco. Fast forward a week and several other locos and I'm servicing a Borsig (3701). It was running fine with the body off after lubing the motor and wheels. I put the body on the chassis and shutdown for the night. I started up today and it blew the decoder and screwed up another tender!

So my question is this, is this just bad luck or should I be looking at something in the system? I have a lot of one time series engines and I don't want to ruin more tenders! Plus this is just plain annoying that there isn't a tiny little fuse to keep something like this from happening.

Thanks, Joe.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2015 08:09:37(UTC)
H0

Hi, Joe,

Maybe the two incidents are unrelated.

I have an analogue Borsig 53 and it shorts in curves. I suspect one of the brushes touches the loco body. This can kill older decoders that do not yet have overload protection.
The new dirt-cheap fx decoder no longer have overload protection AFAIK. Maybe there was a problem with the motor of the Hogwarts trains, maybe the decoder just died by itself. I think this loco is too new to have overload protection in the decoder.

It sometimes happen that decoders are a bit too weak from the factory and let out smoke after few minutes or hours of operation.

Maybe the two incidents are related and there is a problem with your track voltage. Are you using a transformer or a switching-mode power supply for your CS2?
Which voltage reading do you get inside your CS2?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline BwanaJoe  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2015 12:43:13(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Thanks.

So no protection at all?! And nothing shielding the decoders if they do blow?! Sheesh.

The 60213 (V 2.43) CS2 has

Current main track at .008 A
Voltage 22.8 V bouncing to 23.1 V
Temp at turn on 26.5C.

It is being fed by a 60VA transformer, item 60055.

Now I'm really worried I'll randomly fry expensive toys or do it myself when they need servicing! Great.

Offline BwanaJoe  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2015 16:38:02(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Any suggestions anyone?
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2015 16:43:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
voltage: 22.8 to 23.12 V ?
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline waorb  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2015 17:21:06(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Joe!

Holy Cow!!! Scared

23V ? In my oppinion you could fry an egg at this level... (Märklin related) Blink

Märklins usually runs on 16V (empiric old number).

Here, my CS2 have the following:

Current Main track: 0,836A
Voltage: 18.3V
Temperaature: 36,4C

The layout here it's almost 75meters of linear tracks, so, 18V maybe reasonable in my case...

Other coleagues could add something else... Ok, maybe not fry an egg, but 23V seems to be too much for just an oval track. Probably the reason to fry some types of decoders.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2015 17:32:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: BwanaJoe Go to Quoted Post
So no protection at all?!
AFAIK fx decoders with DIP switches, fx decoders made by ESU and all mfx decoders have overload protection and the decoder should not get fried if there is an overload situation with the motor.
Normally the motor should not overload the decoder, but if oil got to the collector an overload situation can occur.
You can easily check the gaps between the collector plates on your 3701 when you take the motor apart. If the gaps are filled with carbon dust then this caused an overload. Without oil the dust flies away, with oil the dust sticks in the gap.
The motor of the Hogwarts loco is not meant for service by user.

The 3701 is from the pre-fx era, the Hogwarts express could be new enough to have a programmable fx decoder without overload protection.

Sometimes decoders die without an external cause - usually in the first hours of operation. Maybe there was no common external cause.

It sure makes you feel uncomfortable to run trains after two decoders died and the cause is not known.

Voltage 22.8 V bouncing to 23.1 V
That's about the voltage you can expect when running on 16 V AC. With 19 V DC from a new switching-mode power supply the track voltage will be lower and wear of motors and brushes will be reduced.
The 3701 is from a time when 22 V digital track voltage was normal and both locos should have no problem with that voltage.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2015 17:34:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post
Märklins usually runs on 16V (empiric old number).
Pass 16 V AC through a bridge rectifier with a capacitor and you get 23 V DC. That's what the Central Station does internally.

The CU 6021 even produces 46 V DC internally (Delon circuit instead of bridge rectifier).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 17 March 2015 18:02:31(UTC)
Webmaster

Could maybe the Hogwarts train have had stiffened lubricants in the gear after being stored for a while?
Could go for the Borsig too, maybe... Decoder frying due to mechanical issues is quite common, have done it myself..

I have a simple oval with the CS2 connected, and with a Dm3 standing still on it it shows 22.3 Volts, 22 when running.
So I don't think the voltage is wrong at all but rather normal. With an empty track 23 V should not be impossible...
Have not blown a single decoder on this track... Also use the 60 VA transformer.

Those who have much more track and more gadgets connected should of course get a lower voltage reading...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline BwanaJoe  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2015 19:02:08(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
voltage: 22.8 to 23.12 V ?

Yes, it bounces. That is without any load on the tracks.
Offline BwanaJoe  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2015 19:21:03(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
So no protection at all?!

The 3701 is from the pre-fx era, the Hogwarts express could be new enough to have a programmable fx decoder without overload protection.

Sometimes decoders die without an external cause - usually in the first hours of operation. Maybe there was no common external cause.

It sure makes you feel uncomfortable to run trains after two decoders died and the cause is not known.

May I assume then that neither had overload protection due to their age? And if they didn't then the heat from from decoder going up from the level of voltage would be enough to warp the tenders and this would be "normal"?

The 3701 was never used other than to test it years back. I don't know how carbon would have built up in so short a time. If carbon would have been present in any short run then it is possible I over lubed the motor and that caused a short. That thought is almost as scary as the random melting.

It wouldn't bother me as much if the motors blew out the decoders due to age (although there should still be a protection circuit!) but the fact that they melt expensive models in the process really irks me and makes me want to pin it down before I run anything else or blow gobs of cash on a permanent layout.

I have nothing newer than a single Era I mfx engine (37975) bought during the early run of mfx when ESU and Märklin were still buddy buddy. So is it a true statement then that all those delta and early digital locos are potential ticking time bombs due to a lack of overload circuits? If so the updating to Loksound V4 decoders should at least solve my decoder issue if not the motor service/wear issues?

Thoughts?

And thanks for the help.

Joe.
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2015 19:59:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It sounds to me like your decoders have died due to massive overheating, and this heat then soaked into the surrounding material melting the plastic. This is extremely rare in my experience. I have only ever had one loco from my collection of over a hundred Marklin locos which overheated its decoder, and I took the power off as soon as I smelt the electrical burning smell. Apart from some scorch marks on the part of the chassis in contact with the decoder there was no other damage to the loco.

In my case the overheating was due to a prolonged high current being drawn by the motor due to over-oiling spilling onto the commutator. At the same time the gear train was sticky with old hardened oil making the motor work even harder.

I think you've been very unlucky to get enough heat to warp a tender, and even more so on two locos within a short space of time!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 18 March 2015 06:32:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
One of the main causes of decoder meltdowns that I have seen is due to improper wiring (short) or accidental short, leading to live voltage entering the decoder from other than the main power cables. This can occur if the PC board comes into contact with the metal body. I have seen this on a few electric models where the top edge of the motor contacted the inside of the roof or the contacts for the pantograph. This would not occur in a tender, but steam engines that have the motor in the tender usually have wiring harnesses to provide power for lights in the boiler and sometimes those wires can short out against metal that is grounded and the electricity always looks for the weakest point, where it will heat and burn. If that happens to be on the PC board or decoder, it will fry pretty quickly.

I bought an ESU Lokprogrammer and saved all of the OEM profiles for my Maerklin, Roco, Hag and other loks that came with ESU built in. This way, if I ever have to replace the decoder, I can just call up the profile and imprint it on a replacement decoder. I don't have this option on Maerklin fx and mfx or Zimo decoders.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2015 06:54:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Mike this reminded me of a train set I bought with 2 locos ( 1 x DB BR 218,1 x DB BR 03) with passenger and freight carriages and a 6021, the 03 had a gear light circuit board and this came in contact with the side rods mechanism, end result = failure but I would had to send the whole loco back to Märklin to get repaired.

Oiling will and always has been a problem with modellers who give it another drop for good measures. When we had our layout displayed and ran the locos 14hours 7 days, there had been 5 locos which started to make a noise because the lack of lubrication, the brushes wore out before that.

You can easily establish if you over oiled the motor by taking it apart and look at the individual segments of the armature, look at the brushes, there shouldn't be any residue of oil, dirt or grime, your brushed should have the same colour from start to end. the back of the motor armature rod isn't as sensitive as the front part and any over oiling will spread over the other cogwheels but again by over oiling you will see the discolouring of the coil.

this is why I have installed ball bearings in all my locos to prevent the loco to cease up, make unnecessary noises and reduces the running characteristics.

the major flaw with the motors is, the 2 components are made from different metals (motorblock, armature rod) Märklin realized this and than switched from nothing to a brass insert, this also started to oxidize and now we have plastic inserts which doesn't work either successfully but to avoid to spend 30 cents on a ball bearing you the modeller keep on buying locos whereas the motor hasn't been upgraded since the 70's and since than we've learned a lot recognized the flaw and we have done something about it. (Märklin opted for the option do nothing about it).
I've never heard you have to oil a Roco motor, there can be 2 scenarios, the worm gear lubricant has hardened, the motor can't turn and the only part which will be affected is the worm gear attached to the armature rod. it will no longer have a grip. we have gone now from the old AC to DC motors with permanent magnets but we still have to oil the motors, extraordinary. even HAG has applied ball bearings to their motor.

John
Offline BwanaJoe  
#15 Posted : 18 March 2015 14:41:57(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
One of the main causes of decoder meltdowns that I have seen is due to improper wiring (short) or accidental short, leading to live voltage entering the decoder from other than the main power cables. This can occur if the PC board comes into contact with the metal body. I have seen this on a few electric models where the top edge of the motor contacted the inside of the roof or the contacts for the pantograph. This would not occur in a tender, but steam engines that have the motor in the tender usually have wiring harnesses to provide power for lights in the boiler and sometimes those wires can short out against metal that is grounded and the electricity always looks for the weakest point, where it will heat and burn. If that happens to be on the PC board or decoder, it will fry pretty quickly.

Mike C

That particular Borsig has the decoder in the plastic tender and the motor in the metal body. The top screw of the engine goes into the motor housing. I could have over oiled the engine, I don't know yet as I have not taken it back apart since it died. (Bit too ticked off actually) It ran fine with the body off for 1/2 an hour on the oval with no motor squeal or hesitation. I put the body back on after I shut the layout off. I turned the layout back the next morning and "poof", no more engine and a warped tender. The engine I "serviced" right before that one was the old yellow/ocre S3/6. Quite honestly I'm now terrified to put it on the layout! I have no idea how a short could have happened since I moved no wires at all when I took it apart.

Offline witzlerh  
#16 Posted : 18 March 2015 15:09:25(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Hmm. 23V on the CS2....that sounds high. This is off the wall and perhaps a dumb question but I wonder if your line voltage is also a little high...I have had this happen in industrial settings. My dad lives out in the country and his line voltage is a little low... so it does happen.

As you seem to be from the states. Do you have 110V coming out of your wall or 120V? I know of voltages of 110V/ 115V and 120V. Did you get your transformer from EU that has an input of 220V vs 110V and then have another step down transformer? A couple of my Märklin buddies have that step down transformer but one of the buddies is a professional electrician that was able to get the right one for them. I remember conversations about not getting the correct voltage at times...
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline BwanaJoe  
#17 Posted : 18 March 2015 15:48:15(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
I'd like to sum up and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. Again, I'm completely new to all of this so I am feeling my way through whole model train thing.

1) The pre non dip switch fx/mfx Märklin decoders are without surge/over-voltage protection. Meaning if something shorts, I'm hosed.

2) The current crop of transformers put out enough power (as confirmed by my using the original MS1 set with the tiny transformer) that if I short something out I'm going to heat up the decoder enough before it blows that I'll melt plastic. (see point 1)

3) Märklin oil stinks (I have a 100 year old Edison phonograph that didn't gum up like these things!) and will harden into concrete creating a situation that forces the motor to work harder putting a strain on the decoder/motor. (see point 1)

4) Possible sub-par motors in the locos.

Possible Solutions?

1) I need to have all my locos serviced by someone who has clue or I need to get a clue quick! That service includes taking apart the motor, gears and wheels to clean out any old lubricant. Is there a manual out there anywhere?

2) Start replacing decoders with newer decoders. Are all the ESU Loksound V4 decoders protected?

3) Do something about the amount of current running into the tiny layout? I ASSUME that with a full sized layout this shouldn't be as much of a problem?

4) Insulate the electrical connections to better protect against a short.

5) Replace the motors along with the decoders. Is there an out-of-box motors that will not seize up as easily?

6) Give up and except the fact that I'm going to eventually ruin a good model...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BwanaJoe
Offline BwanaJoe  
#18 Posted : 18 March 2015 15:50:02(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Hmm. 23V on the CS2....that sounds high. This is off the wall and perhaps a dumb question but I wonder if your line voltage is also a little high...I have had this happen in industrial settings. My dad lives out in the country and his line voltage is a little low... so it does happen.

As you seem to be from the states. Do you have 110V coming out of your wall or 120V? I know of voltages of 110V/ 115V and 120V. Did you get your transformer from EU that has an input of 220V vs 110V and then have another step down transformer? A couple of my Märklin buddies have that step down transformer but one of the buddies is a professional electrician that was able to get the right one for them. I remember conversations about not getting the correct voltage at times...

US house voltage of 110V - 120V. The transformer was purchased from a US dealer and is the standard US setup AFAIK. There is nothing between it and the layout or programming track.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 18 March 2015 16:07:51(UTC)
H0

1) The pre non dip switch fx/mfx Märklin decoders are without surge/over-voltage protection. Meaning if something shorts, I'm hosed.
AFAIK no decoders have over-voltage protection.
AFAIK fx decoders with DIP switches introduced over-current protection. mfx decoders also have it, current fx decoders do not AFAIK.

A decoder should be able to handle a motor load of 1000 mA and a motor normally should not draw more than 500 mA. Theoretically you can connect two motors two one decoder and this is done if the loco has two motors.
With carbon dust in the collector gaps current can be very high. And some batches of the brushes are very soft. And typically the collector plates don't have their grates removed. Running a loco for half an hour can produce enough dust for problems.

A transformer is just copper and iron, no silicon.
Run it on 120 V and you will get about 17 V output. Run it on 132 V (120 V + 10%) and you will get 18.7 V. Multiply this by 1.4 for estimated track voltage.

Can you measure your mains voltage?
Mains voltage should not exceed 132 V, but if it does output voltage of the transformer will grow proportionally.

22 V track voltage is what I would expect. 23 V is a bit higher than expected.

A switching-mode power supply will keep the output voltage at a constant level.

All decoders should withstand a track voltage of 27 V.
Higher track voltage leads to higher wear of the motor brushes (and light bulbs in the loco), but should not kill the decoder.

The decoder is always on power if track power is on, even if the loco does not move. Maybe the tender got deformed the day you maintained your loco and not the day after, if you left it on the powered track for a while.

If you post close-up pictures of the fried decoders we might get more information.

Here is a thread where a tender was deformed:
https://www.marklin-user...er---WHY.aspx#post303521
It looks as if the problem was with the loco PCB, not the decoder, in this case.

I have seen some fried decoders - but the transistors on the decoder burnt away within seconds and I never saw deformation on the loco shell.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline PMPeter  
#20 Posted : 18 March 2015 16:21:29(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Just a totally different thought here. You stated that you are using a 60055, which has an AC output, to feed the 60213. Do you have the actual converter cable (120722) that changes the pin arrangement so that this transformer can be used on the 60213?

The actual power supply you should be using for the 60213 without the special adapter cable is the 60065 which is a switch mode power supply, not a transformer as such.

There may be something wrong on how the 60055 connection has been made.

Again, just a thought since the CS2 output voltage certainly appears high to me, compared to mine.

Peter
Offline BwanaJoe  
#21 Posted : 18 March 2015 16:59:59(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Just a totally different thought here. You stated that you are using a 60055, which has an AC output, to feed the 60213. Do you have the actual converter cable (120722) that changes the pin arrangement so that this transformer can be used on the 60213?

The actual power supply you should be using for the 60213 without the special adapter cable is the 60065 which is a switch mode power supply, not a transformer as such.

There may be something wrong on how the 60055 connection has been made.

Again, just a thought since the CS2 output voltage certainly appears high to me, compared to mine.

Peter

Adaptor cable? Nope, I didn't know I needed one. I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

Edit: I just found a picture of that cable and it was included with the 60055.

I actually just bought a 60065 and was going to use the 55 for accessories, etc.

In the 55 manual it says the CS needs 60VA to work fully. Strange because the 65 is only 50VA.
Offline PMPeter  
#22 Posted : 18 March 2015 17:19:24(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I use the 60065 for my CS2 and it works just fine. The North American VA ratings are always lower than for the equivalent European ones that the documentation is based on.

It will be interesting to see what your CS2 output voltage reads when you use the 60065.

Likewise I use my 60055 for powering lighting and accessories.

Peter
Offline BwanaJoe  
#23 Posted : 18 March 2015 18:04:05(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
I use the 60065 for my CS2 and it works just fine. The North American VA ratings are always lower than for the equivalent European ones that the documentation is based on.

It will be interesting to see what your CS2 output voltage reads when you use the 60065.

Likewise I use my 60055 for powering lighting and accessories.

Peter

That 65 is half the size of the 55

60065:

Current: 0.008 A
Voltage: 19.2 V
Offline BwanaJoe  
#24 Posted : 18 March 2015 18:58:07(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
I diassembled the loco but not the motor. The tender was stuck to the decoder wire. For the heck if it I put it in the track and it ran! Of course I still don't why it quit, why the decoder got so hot or how to prevent it again.

http://UserPostedImage

Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 18 March 2015 19:59:31(UTC)
H0

On picture #5 one contact lid for the smoke generator is bent down. Maybe the short was there.

Maybe the heat came from the small PCB in the tender (picture #3). I don't know what it is good for, but maybe it is an amplifier that drives the smoke generator.

This would explain that loco runs again: with the boiler off there is no short circuit at the smoke generator contact.

Short circuits that do not trigger the overload detection of the CS2 can be dangerous as up to 60 watts can heat up something - enough to melt plastics (or even solder).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline BwanaJoe  
#26 Posted : 18 March 2015 20:52:21(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
On picture #5 one contact lid for the smoke generator is bent down. Maybe the short was there.

Maybe the heat came from the small PCB in the tender (picture #3). I don't know what it is good for, but maybe it is an amplifier that drives the smoke generator.

This would explain that loco runs again: with the boiler off there is no short circuit at the smoke generator contact.

Short circuits that do not trigger the overload detection of the CS2 can be dangerous as up to 60 watts can heat up something - enough to melt plastics (or even solder).

If that is the case what could it have been hitting and is there a way (outside of a bunch of electrical tape) to shield any of these open wires or contacts? Is that even feasible?

PCB? That board IS where the wire cover is melted.

It did trigger an overload situation AND still melted the tender.

I'll take a shot of the other loco later tonight.

Thanks,

Joe

EDIT: I should have asked, how are those contacts meant to be positioned? The rear one was probably not that low when I first removed the body but they weren't even either.
Offline BwanaJoe  
#27 Posted : 18 March 2015 21:07:41(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Hogwarts tender:

Offline waorb  
#28 Posted : 18 March 2015 21:17:30(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Ouch!

Crying
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 18 March 2015 22:25:30(UTC)
H0

I should have asked, how are those contacts meant to be positioned?
Typically they should point upwards. When the boiler is put back in place, it's easy to bend them down.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 18 March 2015 22:30:10(UTC)
H0

Hogwarts tender
The module for the whistle sound let the magic smoke out. The decoder may still be OK.

You are not alone with that experience (German forum):
http://www.stummiforum.d...pic.php?p=814779#p814779

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#31 Posted : 19 March 2015 01:26:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Borsig loco: when you put the boiler back make sure both smokegenerator contacts are going into the space provided although the space is not wide enough to accommodate 2 at the entrance. you have to go forwards and backwards to be able to slot both through the opening. you can achieve this by careful and slow insertion of the boiler and you can feel the 2 contacts trying to go through the opening by moving slightly backwards or forwards, the other method you can use and lay the boiler on its back and insert the frame into the boiler and than you can see if the the 2 contacts have gone through the opening space.

regarding ball bearings: this is not a big or impossible job to do, the back of the motor you have a 4mm plastic insert, all you have to do is, take the motor apart and press the insert from the outside in. to insert the ball bearing all you have to do is press the 4mmx2mmx1.5mm ball bearing into the hole. on the other side (brush plate, use different sizes drills starting off with one that is slightly larger than the hole it self and work it self up until you reach 3.9mm and the same there press the ball bearing from outside in, if it doesn't fit just take the drill and go around the hole and see if you can widen it a bit. I don't use speed drills , you need one with a variable speed but starting off with low revs. My Dremel drill is not suitable for this operation as the plastic gets too hot.

and please stop oiling your locos unless they make a terrible noise you can't life with it anymore, than put a tiny drop from where the noise is coming from. ball bearings is the answer, no more oiling of the armature.

John
Offline BwanaJoe  
#32 Posted : 19 March 2015 01:45:43(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
I'm using that new transformer and the voltage is holding steady even with a train running.

Borsig:

Thanks for the info. I ended up moving the smoke contact back in place and putting electrical tape on both, just in case. The engine was squealing which is why I took it apart and oiled it.

Where do you get these ball bearings? Or a new motor that has them already installed.

It is a poor design though. That little board (rear light, smoke?) sits right next to the tender wall. There is room for the whole thing to be centered.

Hogwarts:

I couldn't figure out how to get the engine apart and the manual has nothing. However after you pointed out it was the board for the whistle (it was) I tried it again for the heck of it. It ran. I never did get the engine even remotely apart so I have no clue why it did what it did.

Of course this leaves me the questions of why:

I can understand I probably installed the body of the Borsig incorrectly and it caused it to heat up and melt the wire sheath. However, why did it get hot enough to warp the tender before the CS2 shutdown?

As for the Hogwarts engine, it smoked and melted without me touching a thing. But again, it happened BEFORE the CS2 shutdown.

Both happend after I turned on the CS2 and attempted to run them. Could it be something with the way the system starts up as well? Grasping at straws here I know.
Offline river6109  
#33 Posted : 19 March 2015 05:57:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Tom most probably can explain the technical site of it, I wouldn't think so it has anything to do with the CS 2 as it would have come in other forums. most probably the loco itself and its electronic parts, like it took Märklin ages to figure out about the solenoid motors for C-track turnouts.
there are many members who have bought ball bearings and if you google you should find them, again the size is 4mm x 2mm x 1.5mm making sure the inside measure is 1.5mm (armature shaft).
or search this forum under ball bearing,

John
Offline H0  
#34 Posted : 19 March 2015 07:45:36(UTC)
H0

I can understand I probably installed the body of the Borsig incorrectly and it caused it to heat up and melt the wire sheath. However, why did it get hot enough to warp the tender before the CS2 shutdown?
Maybe bad luck, maybe not enough feeder wires.

The CS2 can deliver 3 A constantly - that's about 60 watts.
The wire between CS2 and feeder track, the track between feeder track and loco, the amplifier PCB, the contact lid for the smoke generator and the loco frame, they all add resistance. If the total resistance is above a specific value, the load for the CS2 stays below 60 watts and it will not turn off. You can buy small soldering irons that only have 8 watts and 60 watts can melt more than just plastics.

Trains work fine if you only have one feeder wire. But using feeder wires every 2 meters and using thick wires under the layout between controller and feeder wires is essential for overload detection.
I don't know your layout. This may or may not be part of the problem.

One short circuit was on the noise module and current was limited. The other short circuit was though the amplifier PCB and current was limited.
The Borsig loco is a bit unusual because it does not have an fx decoder and the smoke generator can be switched with the lights by means of the amplifier PCB.
This should not happen with other old locos as the smoke generator contact goes directly to the centre rail and the CS2 should switch off immediately.
This should not happen with current locos as the contact is fed from the decoder. Many users reported flashing lights when they turned smoke on - no overheating when you make a short, just flashing headlights.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline BwanaJoe  
#35 Posted : 21 March 2015 03:50:26(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   

Trains work fine if you only have one feeder wire. But using feeder wires every 2 meters and using thick wires under the layout between controller and feeder wires is essential for overload detection.
I don't know your layout. This may or may not be part of the problem.

It is the small oval from the Hogwarts set with the addition of the digital turnout components. I doubt there is six feet of track there. I assume you should use the biggest wires that would fit the controller connector?
Offline RayF  
#36 Posted : 21 March 2015 10:20:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
As Tom mentioned, a short circuit one the layout should operate the over-current protection in the controller, but if the wires used to feed the layout are too thin or too long then the resistance in the wires will allow the current to be dissipated as heat in the wires instead, and only a small current will be detected by the controller.

I saw a graphic example of this a few years ago at my Yacht Club.

A contractor was working on the jetty with an electric drill which he had plugged into an office about 60 meters away, using two long extensions for his power cord. The drill slipped out of his hand and fell in the sea, but instead of blowing the 13Amp fuses in the extensions the drill continued to draw power, boiling the sea around it!

The resistance of the combined length of extensions was enough to bring the current being drawn to less than 13A. Luckily no-one was hurt, but it was a spectacular demonstration of Ohm's law.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#37 Posted : 21 March 2015 11:58:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi,

As it was mentioned earlier, the voltage is way too high. I have 2 CS2 and 3 switched power supplies; With all of them the reading is between 18.4 and 18.6 volts. Getting close to 24 volts and beyond is clearly a risk both for the CS2 and the digital items fed by it (says Märklin).
Your main voltage is probably a bit too high. Suggest to use a DC switched power supply. Beside the regulated voltage brings loads of advantages (smooth running, exact same speed under all conditions).
Kind regards

Jean
Offline BwanaJoe  
#38 Posted : 21 March 2015 13:16:53(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

As it was mentioned earlier, the voltage is way too high. I have 2 CS2 and 3 switched power supplies; With all of them the reading is between 18.4 and 18.6 volts. Getting close to 24 volts and beyond is clearly a risk both for the CS2 and the digital items fed by it (says Märklin).
Your main voltage is probably a bit too high. Suggest to use a DC switched power supply. Beside the regulated voltage brings loads of advantages (smooth running, exact same speed under all conditions).
Kind regards

Jean

Thanks Jean. May I ask where Märklin says that is too high? With documentation perhaps I can go back to the dealer and see I may wring out of Märklin. I am using all Märklin equipment after all.

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I saw a graphic example of this a few years ago at my Yacht Club.

A contractor was working on the jetty with an electric drill which he had plugged into an office about 60 meters away, using two long extensions for his power cord. The drill slipped out of his hand and fell in the sea, but instead of blowing the 13Amp fuses in the extensions the drill continued to draw power, boiling the sea around it!

Cool. Scary, but cool.
Offline BwanaJoe  
#39 Posted : 21 March 2015 16:29:56(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Just pulled out my multi-meter and measured the volts on the track:

Transformer 60055: 18.xV spiking to 20.x V.

Transformer 60065: 15.x V spiking to 16.x V.
Offline H0  
#40 Posted : 21 March 2015 20:15:08(UTC)
H0

Just pulled out my multi-meter and measured the volts on the track
It takes a high-frequency true RMS multi-meter to measure the track voltage.
Your readings probably mean nothing.
With the 60065 you get a lower trackvoltage, but I wouldn't trust the absolute values nor the differences between them.

I don't know how accurate the reading the CS2 is.

With respect to wire gauge, I'm with Ray. With just a starter-set oval one feeder track should be enough and wire gauge does not really matter.
But with 10 m wire between controller/booster and feeder wire the diameter of the wire matters a lot.

I think thicker wires would not not have prevented the two tenders from melting. And at least the problem with the BR 53 was not caused by the high track voltage.

But IMHO it's better to use the 60065 than the 60055, so that was a good investment anyway.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline AJH4  
#41 Posted : 02 June 2015 01:26:07(UTC)
AJH4

United States   
Seems that the Hogwarts engine appears form time to time on eBay or for sale in other places and they seem to have a variety o f engine and sound problems though maybe not to this extent. Have you had luck finding a replacement sound card for that set? Is that even possible?
Offline BwanaJoe  
#42 Posted : 02 June 2015 01:31:15(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
I Didn't bother to look. I sold the engine and cars off and kept the track from the set.