Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2015 03:49:45(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Forum members,
Greetings...

The question I have might sound a little silly, but please help..

I have recently purchased HO Marklin 37109, 37347 and 39972. I was considering to purchase 12 passsenger car set Marklin 00766 and tank car set 46533.

My question : Will the couplings of the cars in the car sets be compatible with Locos I already have???

Thanks
VJ
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2015 08:16:49(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

I didn't find the 37109 in the product database, but it should have the same couplers as the 37347 and as the two coach set 46533.

The 00766 has old-style metal couplers. There can be problems getting them to connect with new couplers, but if you lift the newer coupler a bit you can get them to engage and they will function together.

The 00766 is a nostalgic tin-plate set (length-scale about 1:110). You can get plastic coaches that are closer to 1:87 and that come with the modern couplers your locos have.

The 39972 can pull cars only if you use a special fixed draw-bar that is not included in the set.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline vnangli  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2015 10:40:34(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

I didn't find the 37109 in the product database, but it should have the same couplers as the 37347 and as the two coach set 46533.

The 00766 has old-style metal couplers. There can be problems getting them to connect with new couplers, but if you lift the newer coupler a bit you can get them to engage and they will function together.

The 00766 is a nostalgic tin-plate set (length-scale about 1:110). You can get plastic coaches that are closer to 1:87 and that come with the modern couplers your locos have.

The 39972 can pull cars only if you use a special fixed draw-bar that is not included in the set.

Thank you for helping me out...
Regarding 37109, the number I mentioned is correct...
https://www.marklin-user...-limited.aspx#post419248

So, 37109 and 37347 might have problems connecting to 0766 tin plate series??? Then what loco will be compatible with 0766??? I have liked this tin plate series car set and am ready to buy the loco which can pull it...
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2015 12:49:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi,

Any modern Marklin loco can be back-dated to the older style "Relex" couplers. Just buy part number 72060 from Marklin which contains 10 Relex couplers with NEM 362 fittings. They are plug in replacements for the Close couplers fitted from the factory.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline vnangli  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2015 14:58:45(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Any modern Marklin loco can be back-dated to the older style "Relex" couplers. Just buy part number 72060 from Marklin which contains 10 Relex couplers with NEM 362 fittings. They are plug in replacements for the Close couplers fitted from the factory.

Do I use these couplers on the 00766 Tin plate cars to connect to 37109 or 37347 or 39972? When you say "Plug in", I understand I dont have to unscrew and remove the existing couplers on the Tin plate cars. Is that right?

I had initially bought all these Locomotives for display purposes and now I am being tempted to build a layout. And these questions have been popping up.

I am so glad I found this forum.

Can any users recommend me a thread where the track bend radius requirements have been discussed. I want to plan a layout with some sensible bend radius where the overhang look realistic...

Thanks
Vijayraj
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2015 18:42:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Do I use these couplers on the 00766 Tin plate cars to connect to 37109 or 37347 or 39972? When you say "Plug in", I understand I dont have to unscrew and remove the existing couplers on the Tin plate cars. Is that right?

I had initially bought all these Locomotives for display purposes and now I am being tempted to build a layout. And these questions have been popping up.

Can any users recommend me a thread where the track bend radius requirements have been discussed. I want to plan a layout with some sensible bend radius where the overhang look realistic...

Thanks
Vijayraj

You seem to have misunderstood my answer slightly. You can leave all the coaches with their original metal Relex couplers and just change the couplers on the new locos. These are "plug-in" and can be swapped for the Relex type I quoted in my previous reply, part number 72060. This will make the locos compatible with the coaches as opposed to the other way round. There is no easy way to change the couplers on the tinplate cars to the newer close coupler type without extensive metal bashing.

Your question on track radius has no easy answer. Small locos pulling older 4 wheel wagons can look quite realistic on first radius curves, whereas long locos and scale length express coaches can look ridiculous on the same curves. If you have long coaches I would recommend the use of the widest radius you can fit in the space available. Unfortunately for me the widest radius is R2, so I tend to avoid the scale length express coaches, using instead the 1:100 27cm compromise length coaches. My inner loop is R1, and there I use the even shorter 24cm tinplate coaches like the ones in your 00766 set.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2015 18:58:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Vijayraj,

The 37109 is a DB electric
The 37347 is a Swiss electric used for Zurich commuter trains. the matching coaches are set 43479 available only in Switzerland at the moment. You can order them at Modellbahn-Shop.ch (they speak English) and other Swiss shops. The price is around CHF 130 per 2 coach set.
http://buehler-interlake...stockwagen-set-epoche-vi
The 39972 is not usually used for pulling cars or coaches, but is used for maintenance of the catenary system. There is a drawbar that can be used to pull a car or two but it is not sold with the model.

As far as the 00766, I saw a while back that Schweickhardt was selling individual coaches from the set. If you want more of the DB or Italian ones, but not necessarily the French, Belgian or Austrian ones, this might be a good way to go. I purchased one of the Italian 1st class coaches from one set and a pair of the second class coaches from the follow-up set (00796).

See: http://www.modelleisenba...a4f2a6ea61a7a6e4fd83de8a

The tin plate coaches have metal bodies, bogies and couplers. The newer models have removable couplers, coupling sockets, but are compatible with the older couplings. Some models may require additional space between locomotive and coach, in which case you will need to replace the close coupler head with the standard loop coupling (72060).

For the E 10 (37109), a consist made up of 00796-03, 00766-04 Sleeper (2), 00766-01 (half diner), 00766-02 and 00796-01 (DB Aum) would make a nice consist

Regards

Mike C
Offline vnangli  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2015 19:38:56(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
I am excited to start my exploration into this MRR....I thank you for you detailed explanation..

Vijayraj

Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2015 22:45:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks
Vijayraj

You seem to have misunderstood my answer slightly. You can leave all the coaches with their original metal Relex couplers and just change the couplers on the new locos. These are "plug-in" and can be swapped for the Relex type I quoted in my previous reply, part number 72060. This will make the locos compatible with the coaches as opposed to the other way round. There is no easy way to change the couplers on the tinplate cars to the newer close coupler type without extensive metal bashing.

Your question on track radius has no easy answer. Small locos pulling older 4 wheel wagons can look quite realistic on first radius curves, whereas long locos and scale length express coaches can look ridiculous on the same curves. If you have long coaches I would recommend the use of the widest radius you can fit in the space available. Unfortunately for me the widest radius is R2, so I tend to avoid the scale length express coaches, using instead the 1:100 27cm compromise length coaches. My inner loop is R1, and there I use the even shorter 24cm tinplate coaches like the ones in your 00766 set.

Read the instruction books for the locos, it will describe how to remove the coupling from the loco to replace it if needed. The couplings noted earlier in this thread will then push into the pocket on the loco to couple to your coaches.

Offline vnangli  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2015 14:30:52(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
You just made spend 250 Euros on 43479 Coaches...Crying

I have bought Marklin from this seller in Italy, and seems to be good. www.toytrains.it quick in shipping and delivery.

Thanks
Vijayraj

Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2015 20:21:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Vijayraj,

The coaches were selling for as low as CHF 109 from Switzerland, which is a little cheaper than the price you mentioned. Does the price you gave include the shipping and did they give you a rebate on the VAT?
I am sure that you will enjoy your 47479 coaches. I bought two sets, but I also have the Roco (Fleischmann) ones that come in two sets of three and retail for over 200 EUR per set.
The real trains with the Re 420 LION have a loco at each end and six coaches between them. Each loco cost me around 250, plus the coaches, so the total came out to almost 1000 EUR for the complete train. That's crazy when you consider that the first locomotive that I ever bought and three coaches cost less than 200 CHF total, which at that time was under $100.
Then again, a Honda cost $4000 and today it costs $18000.
Enjoy the train and please post some photos for us to enjoy.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline vnangli  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2015 21:58:34(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Mike,
Yes they gave me a discount on VAT. For two sets, 72060 couplers and shipping I paid 260EUR. When I bought 37347 from the same store it got delivered by UPS in the US and on the 5th day from the date of ordering.

I will post the photos as I recieve them....

Thanks again for the recommendations