Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline peter2468  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2015 10:03:17(UTC)
peter2468

Netherlands   
Hi,

I retrieved my trainset after 30 year, to set them up with my kids. However I didn't expect it to be in such a bad state. I replaced the power cable from my trafo, but most of my rail pieces don't work (train stops on those pieces). The connection between the pieces seems ok (but apparently are not). Furthermore quiet a lot of pieces have rust on them. I found some posts for rust removal, but will this also solve the problem that the train stops on thos sections. What do I need to do to make the pieces "work" again.

Any help would be welcome.
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2015 10:17:16(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! ThumpUp

If your tracks are rusted, then locomotive grounding is not working through the outer rails. Some people don't recommend sanding to remove rust, but I would just take some very fine sand paper (about 800-1200) and take that rust off. Is your locomotive(s) technically ok? Maybe worth to open the motor and clean it. Also check the brushes and replace them if needed. Is your locomotive(s) current pick-up shoe (slider) ok? If not replace it also or bend it back to normal shape. Locomotive wheels may also need some cleaning to give better grounding.

I hope you will get your loco(s) running properly and have fun with them! Smile

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2015 10:17:44(UTC)
H0

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Rust on the centre rail (or centre rail studs) will stop the locos.
Since you see rust elsewhere then there probably is rust on the centre rail also.

Sometimes it's enough to run a few rounds at full speed and the pickup shoe will remove the rust.
If that is not enough: Don't use sandpaper on the outer rails. Rub the centre rail studs with a screwdriver or sandpaper to get the rust off.

You can clean the outer rails with a cloth and maybe Isopropanol or other degreasers.

If you have M track or old K track, the outer rails may also be rusty.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Renato  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2015 18:40:40(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum from me too.

Cheers

renato
Offline Dangermouse  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2015 16:11:18(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
You can buy abrasive blocks specifically for track cleaning, they're much finer and softer than any sandpaper and a far better idea for heavy track cleaning.

Also worth trying WD-40 and an old toothbrush on rust.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2015 16:48:01(UTC)
Goofy

1.K tracks rail is made of stain less steel and they won´t rust!It´s dirt that get stuck on the rail cause of the oil from the locomotives and wagons.Just use chemical gasoline to remove shit on the rail.
2.It´s centre stud contact that rust,so i recommend fine sand paper at 800 or fine file to remove rust.Just pull on the centre stud.
3.Buy new tracks...C or K tracks.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2015 18:39:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
1.K tracks rail is made of stain less steel and they won´t rust!It´s dirt that get stuck on the rail cause of the oil from the locomotives and wagons.Just use chemical gasoline to remove shit on the rail.
2.It´s centre stud contact that rust,so i recommend fine sand paper at 800 or fine file to remove rust.Just pull on the centre stud.
3.Buy new tracks...C or K tracks.

The original 2100 series K track used a rolled steel rail just like the M track does. These rails are known to rust. The 2100 series track was made for only a limited time partly because of this.

As Goofy states, the 2200 series K track rails are stainless steel, and rusting isn't a major problem - although under suitable conditions stainless steel will corrode.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan