Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline IsItDigitalAlready?  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2015 18:44:56(UTC)
IsItDigitalAlready?

United States   
I have four locos of 1980s-90s vintage with AC motors. All have three-pole motors: three have round/barrel commutators, and one has a flat commutator (model numbers 3065, 3153, 3342, 3357).

Although I plan to sent them to a shop to have the conversion done, I would just like to know what is involved in the conversion, not a step-by- step "how-to," what problems you may have had, and what your results were.

To me it sounds simple: change out the motor for a 5-pole fixed magnet "high-efficiency" motor, remove reversing switch, hook up decoder to motor, lights, accessory (uncoupler, e.g.), tie everything down neatly, and that's it. How accurate it that?

Full disclosure - absolute newbie to digital - I last ran marklin in the 80s, and it was all AC (I still have nightmares about all the wires, THE WIRES...).

Bob
Cold Springs (Reno), in far Western Nevada
It's all Gordon's fault!
Offline biedmatt  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2015 18:59:30(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
That is about all there is to it. If you are good with a soldering iron, you can do it yourself.

Edit: Keep it neat and organized.
https://www.marklin-user...nections.aspx#post479799
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline amartinezv  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2015 19:56:28(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: IsItDigitalAlready? Go to Quoted Post
I have four locos of 1980s-90s vintage with AC motors. All have three-pole motors: three have round/barrel commutators, and one has a flat commutator (model numbers 3065, 3153, 3342, 3357).

Although I plan to sent them to a shop to have the conversion done, I would just like to know what is involved in the conversion, not a step-by- step "how-to," what problems you may have had, and what your results were.

To me it sounds simple: change out the motor for a 5-pole fixed magnet "high-efficiency" motor, remove reversing switch, hook up decoder to motor, lights, accessory (uncoupler, e.g.), tie everything down neatly, and that's it. How accurate it that?

Full disclosure - absolute newbie to digital - I last ran marklin in the 80s, and it was all AC (I still have nightmares about all the wires, THE WIRES...).

Hello,

You are right !!!, don't be afraid with wires, the wires are your friends

I have converted a lot of locos to digital without problems, I have used 6080 decoders, delta, 6090x, lokpilot, you only need some usual tools and a little bit of patience and be careful

best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline waorb  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2015 14:06:11(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hello Bob!
Welcome to the forum.
I was in The Biggest Little City in the World in '98. My cousin lived there for about 3 years in South Meadows Double Diamond...
Good times...

Digital conversion isn't a monster to handle... just a few wires to cut, and some new ones to solder...

I'd converted some old Märklins here (6x) with a decoder made from another forum member of Argentina. It's pretty easy and you don't need to replace the original motor (if you don't want to).

He sells 4 decoders for US$ 70, plus shipping. Pretty good price.

That decoder delivers all basic functions, could digitally control front and back lights, and have 2 auxiliary functions (to smoke, telex, others lamps -- you choose).
Some other advanced configurations are also available: acceleration, breaking delay, blink of the lights...

The size of the decoder is specially small to fit perfectly even in a BR89 (#3000) lok.

http://www.trenesdigitales.com.ar/es/decoders/10-td101.html

(click on 'descargar' and 'manual' to get the spanish version of the manual - he could easyly explain your doubts by email, also in english, just drop him a message)

Cheers from South America.

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline aswap5  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2015 05:21:48(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Hi Isitdigitalalready (phew!),

Welcome to the forum.

Conversion is exactly as you described it.

A suggestion: try doing one yourself. It's not hard, unless you have large, clumsy fingers, which I have! Despite that, I've done 4 locos. I had to because the nearest dealer is approximately 3000 km away and the shipping costs!!

It's also a lot of fun. But most exciting (at least to me) is that in some sense I feel more ownership for these locos than the other three that I bought.

Does that make any sense? Probably not. :-)

Anyway have fun and enjoy the hobby!

Ashok
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by aswap5
H0ONR
#6 Posted : 04 March 2015 05:59:58(UTC)
IsItDigitalAlready?

United States   
Thanks to all for the encouragement. I will try one (or more). After all, how hard could it be?
Bob
It's all Gordon's fault!
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2015 09:29:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Good luck with your conversions.

I have done many over the years. The easiest and with the best chance of working well first time are those done with the Marklin decoders and 5 pole motor kits. Choose a loco that has plenty of room and that is specified for the motor kit you will be using. This is mostly an issue with LFCM motors. The 60944 kits bring two different armatures and two different brush plates, and will fit many of the models, but there are some locos that are not suitable for conversion with these kits.

Of the locos you mention I would choose the 3153 to convert first, as this has plenty of room and you can use the 60760 set which is very cheap. Alternatively you can use the 60941 motor and 60942 decoder if you want a better performance and/or mfx.

Be aware that the locos with catalogue numbers starting with 33xx have an electronic circuit for the reverse pulse which feeds a low voltage to the bulbs. If you choose one of these for your conversion you will need to change the 3V bulbs to suitable 18-20V bulbs.

Keep us posted on how you proceed so we can help you along the way!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
#8 Posted : 04 March 2015 16:05:44(UTC)
IsItDigitalAlready?

United States   
The only thing I am unsure about (at this stage) is where to buy the appropriate LED bulbs and resistors? Does anyone have a source for these? Item numbers would be helpful, too.
Bob
It's all Gordon's fault!
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2015 16:35:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: IsItDigitalAlready? Go to Quoted Post
The only thing I am unsure about (at this stage) is where to buy the appropriate LED bulbs and resistors? Does anyone have a source for these? Item numbers would be helpful, too.

Sorry, no idea. I always replace the original Marklin bulb with another bulb. There are many depending on the operating voltage and type of holder.

You can replace most older Marklin light bulb holders with bi-post types which will take either a light bulb or an LED/resistor combination. Someone else might be able to help on this.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
#10 Posted : 13 March 2015 14:28:22(UTC)
IsItDigitalAlready?

United States   
A very helpful participant on another forum pointed me to Streamlined Backshop for the LEDs. They offer (among other things) 10-packs of warm-white and bright-white LEDs, including 1K-ohm resistors for under US$5.

I have some coming and will report on my experience with them.
Bob
It's all Gordon's fault!
Offline waorb  
#11 Posted : 13 March 2015 15:00:56(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello!

I never bought from them, but from a long time I have the link below:

http://www.trainaidsa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=177

They advertise this LED bulb with reversed polarity for Märklin products. They also have a lot of alternatives.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 14 March 2015 03:28:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
there are several options how to install your led's, a made up small cicuit board, a round socket supplied by Märklin which fits into the most common bulb holder, which are the most common ones.
led's from ledbaron.de or led-2005_de, or led-store_waldheim

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline eroncelli  
#13 Posted : 18 March 2015 12:40:51(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
A good source for Maerklin LED lamps is here:
http://stores.ebay.it/tu...p?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

About digital conversione: a good advice is to check the original loco first and convert to digital only if the mechanical system is in very good condition.

And, in my opinion, no need for a 5 poles rotor: no great advantage compared with the original 3 cores.

Good conversion kits are offered also by ESU (www.esu.eu)