Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martin T  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2015 16:18:08(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
I´m building a knowledge base about M-rail.
One question which has become of greater and greater interest as time goes since M stopped producing the M-rail:

- What is the average Life lenght of the M-rail switch?

My PC is recording every time a switch is operated and log it. I have one switch which now has passed 1000 operations.
I´m now looking for YOU who have a similar system where the number of operations has been recorded.
Please respond in this thread with the number of operations you´re at. Also what EOL (End-of-Life) failures you´ve seen.
Based on my knowledge in the industrial field, I would expect somewhere between 10k and 100k cycles Life..

Here´s my list: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se...l/m-rail_switch_life.xls

I would also expect that Märklin has run Life tests on the mechanism at least during Product qualification,
but probably also later after design reveiws etc. If anyone has access to that data would of course be of great interest.

UserPostedImage
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2015 12:30:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
If everyhting is installed and treated correctly, I feel certain that the duration should be "infinite".
Of course no such thing as "infinite" exist, and less for mechanical objects, but... I´m quite convinced that a pure mechanical failure is not the first thing that occurs.
It will get dirty before that point. Even an electrical problem could fry the electrics. So... Maintenance and service would make it last several human lifetimes. At what interval the service and cleaning will be needed, depends on every installation. So you would probably be better off trying to determine the "service-cycle" for your installation!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Martin T  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2015 21:45:00(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
If everyhting is installed and treated correctly, I feel certain that the duration should be "infinite".
Of course no such thing as "infinite" exist, and less for mechanical objects, but... I´m quite convinced that a pure mechanical failure is not the first thing that occurs.
It will get dirty before that point. Even an electrical problem could fry the electrics. So... Maintenance and service would make it last several human lifetimes. At what interval the service and cleaning will be needed, depends on every installation. So you would probably be better off trying to determine the "service-cycle" for your installation!

Hi!

Yes, you are probably right!
I would think that there will be a build up of metal dust from the mechanism itself + other contaminations coming from outside. Those will contribute to the friction and at some Point prevent the movement of the plunger. My switch which passed 1000 operations here, required maintenance, meaning cleaning of the mechanism. I also at the same time changed to m83 decoder and +21VDC drive. It now once again operates perfectly, but that is how I came to think about this.

It would anyway be of interest to hear if anyone else has all the switch operations logged and if so what number of operations they´re at.
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html