Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline scissorsnm  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2015 20:59:55(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Has anyone had trouble with the Marklin 74490 switch motors only working on one side. I have two cantankerous motors that I can't figure out why they won't work at all at times and at times just one way. I have taken them out of the layout and they work fine just grounded on on piece of track hooked up to an out side transformer. They, when working, seem to just move the points to the straight side but not to the turnout side. Same thing happens wether they are hooked to a switch decoder or through a K 83.
Any suggestions as to where I may look.

Thanks
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2015 00:25:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: scissorsnm Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone had trouble with the Marklin 74490 switch motors only working on one side. I have two cantankerous motors that I can't figure out why they won't work at all at times and at times just one way. I have taken them out of the layout and they work fine just grounded on on piece of track hooked up to an out side transformer. They, when working, seem to just move the points to the straight side but not to the turnout side. Same thing happens wether they are hooked to a switch decoder or through a K 83.
Any suggestions as to where I may look.

Thanks

When fitting them to the track don't do the screws up tight. Nip the screws tight then back then off a quarter turn. The motor should then have the slightest movement available on the screws.

If up screw the screws tight then the body of the motor can get ever so slightly distorted and the armature jambs and won't move. Taking thm off the point relieves the stress and they move again.

While you are at it, put a drop of solder across the microswitch connections. The microswitches are notorious for going faulty and can give a similar problem, but as you say they work fine when you take them out I doubt these are the problem. However it is not impossible that there is a faulty solder joint on the microswitches that fails when the PCB is stressed by being screwed in, but makes contact again when taken out.

Offline scissorsnm  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2015 04:49:35(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
Thanks Alan... I'll try what you suggested.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2015 17:34:42(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: scissorsnm Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Alan... I'll try what you suggested.

Before you "fix" the point motor by dropping solder onto the microswitch, which will of course work, try contacting Märklin about the problem. They usually just let you send the faulty motors to them and you get brand new ones in return. If you "ruin" them with solder, you loose this option.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen