Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aberthet  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2015 06:59:11(UTC)
aberthet

United States   
I am trying to install a conversion kit 60944 into my 1989 Marklin BR 216 Diesel locomotive (#3674) that had a LFCM motor. However the field with the permanent magnet doesn’t want to fit onto the motor body. I cannot position the field so the locator pin would align with the hole on the motor body. I heard that some people are grinding down the pin until the field can be positioned correctly. I was thinking instead of grinding the hole into a vertical slot. Has anyone encountered this issue and how they fixed it?
Andre
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2015 14:21:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Andre,

Might be a silly question, but have you tried the magnet the other way round?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2015 14:56:07(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Andre,

I have installed 60944 motor kit in my 3074 DB BR 216 loco originally with LFCM without problems. I installed it quite long time ago, but I got a decoder for it just some weeks ago. It should go there, but please inform us if it is impossible. Send a photo so we can see better what is the problem.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline 3rail4life  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2015 17:41:25(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi All,

The problem with fitting the 60944 magnet on some older LFCM 216 locomotives is the metal casting of power truck does not allow for sufficient clearance to fit the thicker permanent magnet. I believe the easiest way is to remove material from the magnet. The grinding down of the locating pin was recommended on the hamst.de site and apears to me to be the best solution. One could also take away material from the lower edge of the magnet to make fitting easier. I do not think it is necessary to remove any metal from the truck casting but that may work just as well.

If anyone else has dealt with this, it would be great to hear about your solutionCool.

Cheers,

Gordon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline aberthet  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2015 20:11:57(UTC)
aberthet

United States   
Thank you everyone for your replies. Here are pictures of my motor conversion and suggestion. Even so grinding the lower pin would work it may jeopardize the field proper alignment. Grinding the lower part of the field would work too. However elongating vertically the bottom locator hole (see picture) should facilitate the pin engagement and not jeopardize the alignment.
Andre
aberthet attached the following image(s):
Grinding.JPG
Field_inst.JPG
body_field.JPG
body.JPG
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by aberthet
Offline Janne75  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2015 20:46:19(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi again,

Now when I see your very good detailed pictures and have read postings above I can remember there was some difficulties. Would it be possible to open that white plastic part holding those metal plates on the magnet and build it back together when those 3.5 mm pins are in correct position in motor frame? This is just me writing what I'm thinking. If this is impossible other members can correct me. Maybe the best way would be to just take that sharp edge away by grinding the motor frames lower 3.5 mm aligning hole a little from upper part of it to get that pin to go in it's correct position easier.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline aberthet  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2015 21:36:23(UTC)
aberthet

United States   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi again,

Now when I see your very good detailed pictures and have read postings above I can remember there was some difficulties. Would it be possible to open that white plastic part holding those metal plates on the magnet and build it back together when those 3.5 mm pins are in correct position in motor frame? This is just me writing what I'm thinking. If this is impossible other members can correct me. Maybe the best way would be to just take that sharp edge away by grinding the motor frames lower 3.5 mm aligning hole a little from upper part of it to get that pin to go in it's correct position easier.

Regards,
Janne

Hello Janne,
I will try to take apart the field magnet assembly and install it plate by plate, if it is possible, as you suggested. I will do that later today and will report.
Thank you,
Andre

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by aberthet
Offline aberthet  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2015 21:51:00(UTC)
aberthet

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Andre,

Might be a silly question, but have you tried the magnet the other way round?

Hi Ray,
The field magnet assembly can only be installed one way. The locator pins on both sides of it have different diameters, 3.5mm on the motor block side, and 1.8mm on the brush plate.
Regards,
Andre
Offline PJMärklin  
#9 Posted : 20 February 2015 07:22:51(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi again,

Regards,
Janne

Hello Andre and Janne,

Yes Janne, watching this thread brought back to mind the same difficulty I had it fitting this magnet in the same sort of power truck frame - I did end up dismantling the magnet to get it to fit and reassembling it in situ.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline aberthet  
#10 Posted : 20 February 2015 20:56:29(UTC)
aberthet

United States   

Hello Andre and Janne,

Yes Janne, watching this thread brought back to mind the same difficulty I had it fitting this magnet in the same sort of power truck frame - I did end up dismantling the magnet to get it to fit and reassembling it in situ.

Regards,

PJ

Thank you all for your suggestions.
While all your suggestions would have accomplished the same positive results, taking apart the field magnet assembly and reassembling it “in situ” onto the motor body would have been the most elegant method. However when I tried to disassemble the field magnet I felt uneasy to proceed because the strong magnetic forces were keeping the parts together; and by forcing it I could risk breaking the plastic parts. Therefore I decided to just slightly grind the hole on the motor body (see picture). Subsequently the field magnet went in position without any issue.
Best regards to all,
André
aberthet attached the following image(s):
Grinded.JPG
Dremel.JPG
DCM.JPG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by aberthet
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 21 February 2015 04:14:28(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks for detailing your process for us Andre.

What I am curious about is how the magnet now sits in place.
Was the motor frame ground down only to allow the magnet to get "around a corner" or was it because the pin was positioned differently.
That is, so now assembled, it closes together as it should, and appears to be in your photos?
Is it performing as desired now?

- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline aberthet  
#12 Posted : 21 February 2015 09:40:08(UTC)
aberthet

United States   
Mark,
Yes as you said I had to grind down the bottom hole to get the field magnet “around the corner” in order to fit into the motor frame. The two locator holes and pins were in the correct location. Because the new field magnet is thicker than the original one it cannot be drooped straight down in the motor frame, but must be lowered down with a slant (as shown in my second picture). Grinding down either one of the following, pin, hole, motor frame, field plates will allow it to put it in place. But there is a better way to do it, as Janne and PJ mentioned in their respective post, by taking apart the field magnet and reassembling it plate by plate onto the motor frame.
Regards,
André