Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2015 23:44:02(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Just brought the new Marlin catalog I can not believe it has been 10 years since the last one my bad. I am happy to see that they are trying to get younger people into the hobby with their selections. The 44810 container car and the 44139 dump car set look great for kids! Years ago they used to have price sheets I wish they would bring that back maybe they are scared the prices will put off too many people but Marklin was never cheap and on the flip side advanced models other manufacturers are not cheap for quality items either. Discounts abound which was unheard of years ago. There seems to be no parts page anymore but as I doing only a quick look I might have missed it never really needed it but it was nice for comparisons for me. There are less historical histories then before which are interesting to read and has more then once influenced me to purchase an item. Overall I am pleased that I have it and will not wait 10 years for the next one. I also picked up the new Walthers catalog now it is time to read it after I lock my wallet away.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2015 00:33:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Keep in mind that the catalogs / yearbooks are records of what has happened during the year rather than announcements of what is to come. For that you need to see the New Items (Neuheiten) catalogs that are produced at the start of every year.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline db ice3  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2015 01:07:10(UTC)
db ice3

for the uk / english speaking markets catalogue, where is the best place to purchase both the year book and the new items catalogues - im uk based.

many thanks everyone!.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2015 10:41:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post
for the uk / english speaking markets catalogue, where is the best place to purchase both the year book and the new items catalogues - im uk based.

many thanks everyone!.

There is no good places in the UK anymore that I am aware of, although the exception to that statement may be Mt Tabor Models in Cheshire somewhere - see a Continental Modeller for his advert.

I beleive most of us get our new stuff from German shops, such as Lokshop, Modellbahn Kramm or similar shops. Both of these have good English speakers, and real world shop fronts, so are in it for the long haul and not just box shifters operating out of a garage.

I have bought from both of these, both at the shop, and over the web.

I am sure others here will list shops they have bought from as well.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline GlennM  
#5 Posted : 20 February 2015 00:14:32(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post

many thanks everyone!.

IMHO the best way for us UK Marklinistas to get our catalogues is to join the Insider Club, you get a free annual car, you get a chance to buy Insider models, you get a free full size annual catalogue in English, you get a New Items catalogue in English (the new one for this year just arrived and it is almost half the thickness of the annual one), you get the annual MHI Catalogues and any other New Items Catalogues they issue (such as Fall Items), Marklin TV (not in English), 6 issues of the Marklin magazine, a couple of DVD's (of Marklin related stuff) throughout the year, numerous brochures and large posters prints of forthcoming items, plus if you are in Germany discounted access to a load of places that work in association with the Insider club such as the Museum.

I clarify that if you do join the Club there is a choice of language and the above items generally come in the language stated in your membership. There are several UK members who subscribe to the club in German, namely because the Magazine has more content in the German version.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Andrey  
#6 Posted : 20 February 2015 09:53:23(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
I found for myself that I still take final decisions to buy Marklin products, especially locomotives and cars, after studying printed catalogues and new items brochures (not after downloading them via Internet).
Perhaps a sort of psychological issue, but showing that catalogues remain rather important for some people even nowadays...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Andrey
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 20 February 2015 12:35:04(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Andrey Go to Quoted Post
I found for myself that I still take final decisions to buy Marklin products, especially locomotives and cars, after studying printed catalogues and new items brochures (not after downloading them via Internet).
Perhaps a sort of psychological issue, but showing that catalogues remain rather important for some people even nowadays...

Andrey,

I would agree, and there is a certain pleasure that can be taken from sitting in the garden on a beautiful summers day, peaceful, with a couple of Marklin catalogues and some peace and quiet. Perfect.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Dreadnought  
#8 Posted : 20 February 2015 18:41:08(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Glenn,

You forgot to add, "and a cool beer, or glass of wine" Let us aim for true perfection!!
Offline Glen  
#9 Posted : 21 February 2015 02:53:08(UTC)
Glen

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Glenn,

You forgot to add, "and a cool beer, or glass of wine" Let us aim for true perfection!!

If its perfection you are after, the 'cool beer' MUST be a craft beer - such as one of our local ones; a Tuatara Pilsner, or the Garage Project's Aro Noir (for those who like a dark beer), or even BitterBitch from ParrotDog... Cool

Prost!