Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2015 11:47:10(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Dear forum friends,

Sometimes i can be very rational,perhaps even too rational,and sometimes my emotions prevail,it is the eternal battle between mind and heart.
I guess i am not different than other human beings in that respect,or am i?

With the ever rising prices of about all consumer goods in the world,including Marklin modeltrains,i just wonder whether expensive items bring more fun than less expensive items.

Recent locomotives sold by Marklin sell in the Euro 400-600 range.
You get a a lot of fun for that money,but does it give you more fun as compared to a M trainset of the seventies?
Please allow yourselves some time to think this over.

Another question is about collectorsvalue.
We are made to believe that the older they get the more money our beloved Marklin items will attract.
I have my doubts about that.
Perhaps limited production runs will attract proper prices but all other items need to be sold well under the original purchase prices,at least that is my own recent experience.

The older you get,the less time will there be to pass on your collection to a party which deserves it.
If you have children,there is a fair chance your collection will stay in the family,for what it is worth.
The value is then emotional,nothing to do with a sound financial investment.

It is like with cars,the commercials want you to believe that the driving experience of a given car will bring you a life full of happiness.
Hey,come on,most working people are driving their car for less than a hour per day,the remainder of the day the car is sitting on the parkinglot of the office.
Does not look like a sound investment to me.
Why spending 40,000 Euro on a BMW if i can get to the office for less than half that amount?

My recent experience with cheap DDR produced Piko steamers has made me conclude i should stick to Marklin,the love of my early youth,be it that i will not aim for the latest expensive models,seventies and eighties stuff will do,with nice prices to go with it.

Have a wonderful happy Sunday!

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2015 12:11:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Paul,

There's a lot of truth in what you've written.

The value of any object or activity should be measured in the joy it gives you, not the price on the label.

As to the value of old trains, it should be rermembered that the average monthly salary in the seventies was perhaps a tenth of what we earn today for a similar job. Even though the prices of Marklin trains was much less than current prices I believe they are actually more affordable today than they were then. I haven't actually put numbers to this, but I believe it is so.

Let us enjoy our hobby in whatever way attracts us most, and to the extent we can each afford, and not worry too much about it....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2015 12:35:42(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Ray,

Thank you.

I am not worried,just thinking 15 to 20 years ahead,that is all.
I have a Marklin book called Wertanlage Marklin (Value collection Marklin) full of nice M items issued over the last 100 years or so.
Unfortunately,most of us will not enjoy a private collection of that age.
Same with old Ferrari cars: kept by the owners till they die,thence sold to any interested party.

Some say we are Homo Economicus,always looking for ways to spend our money in the most economical way.
Should i buy a train or a couch,should i go on holidays or buy a car,should i paint the house or pay my debts,questions,questions.
I recently sold part of my M trains for Euro 700 to pay off one of our cars,aim being to be debt free in life.
This was rational decision making,it caused a couple of days heartburn,before going ahead with a positive bankaccount.

Ray,as a young boy in the poverty years of the early sixties i gazed at locomotives in the M catalogues,unreachable stars around German Marks 50.- each.
Now as a man of almost 60,i gaze at Mercedes C class cars of around 40,000 Euro's,but why?

Edited by user 15 February 2015 17:46:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2015 22:12:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Oh I just love model trains, pure and simple.

Any vintage, any prototype, any scale, any gauge.

I could spend all my time buying the stuff, and have a huge shed in which to display it (or just stack it).

But of course I have a limited amount to spend on trains, so I search for items that give me the must oomph!! for my dollar.
Generally, I have found modern Marklin to fit that bill.
And I have a Marklin layout on which to run it.

But I have a genuine fondness for workmanship, and love things made in the past.
Things like sheet metal (tab and slot) construction (blech) models.

As to value, I know they are probably worth a third to a quarter what I paid.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline db ice3  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2015 02:48:41(UTC)
db ice3

as a newcomer to Marklin from originally hornby and then N gauge fleischman / minitrix / roco, i have to say i enjoy the details and quality of marklin and the " unique / peculiar " ac/ 3 rail system - Just because its different.

i enjoy looking at the vast array of models going back many years. its truly fascinating.

i cant afford to buy all the items i like, so i buy a few wagons, an odd loco etc and slowly i build my collection.

i dont consider 1 moment the future value, but instead - If i can afford to buy it today and which model visually appeals the most and i make my decision to purchase based solely on these criteria - "investment value" doesnt even figure in my purchase.

i too love most model trains and i still buy the " christmas " year wagon from hornby and continue to add to that collection - but only 1 wagon a year. N gauge i like because of how much i can get into a small space, but Marklin is my favourite of all - after many years of wondering about " that strange 3 rail train company " - i have many catalogues for marklin and even in german, i enjoy looking through them over a coffee! i find it truly fascinating.

i only have 3 marklin loco and 8 wagons, but slowly over time i will continue to add unusual pieces to my collection.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by db ice3
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2015 15:13:17(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, I am certainly using my "brain" to let my "heart" have its way!
I love my older (80´ish) analog trains, so I decided that the logical apporach for me was to keep things analog (which I enjoyed in my childhood), and have computerized automatization on the side, so-to-speak...

I am definatly NOT a collector. In fact, I have only little rolling stock that doesnt fit on my current layout. I´ve always favoured more track than rolling stock.
(I´m a big fan of huge huge shaddow-stations)
This fits very well with my wallet; every new adquisition of expensive locomotives is carefully based on the needs of my "railway company".
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa