Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stlcards54  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2015 17:43:53(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
I was using my old blue transformer for accessories (turnouts is all I currently have). But things started acting weird so I immediately detached it. So I want to get a new power pack. Is there a cheaper option other than the 6646? Will a 66365 work? or is its 18V output too much for accessories?
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2015 19:19:32(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
If you are only using it for accessories, you do not need the speed control. Therefore, for North American voltages I use the 6001 for that purpose.

Cheers
Peter
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2015 01:23:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Not quite sure what you mean by things started acting weird. If you connect the live (yellow) directly to the terminal on the transformer and the blue cables with green and red connectors to the switch box (72710) and the lead from the box to one of the return (brown) terminals on the transformer, it should work. Make sure that the switch motor is not wired to the layout to avoid sending AC voltage into the output terminals of the CS/MS/6021 that you are using. When you are testing the setup, I would recommend that you disconnect your digital controller until you are certain it works.

If you only have a few switches, you can get the digital decoders which you then connect to the leads and the connect directly to the tracks for digital control.

See: http://www.ajckids.com/TRAINS/MAIN.ASP?nr=100

Regards

Mike C
Offline stlcards54  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2015 04:14:17(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
By acting weird I mean all my trains just started to act strange or stop working all together. I disconnected the blue transformer, and reset the ms2 and had to reprogram all my locos. I had my switches wired as you said using the yellow and brown from the blue transformer. The other strange thing was that the switch lights would not come on. Note these are all the old m track switches. To get the switch lights to work I had to put the brown ground to the outside rail. This concerned me so I only did it as a test.

After reading about all the blue transformer issues I think Im going to get a 6001 transformer.

Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2015 10:24:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I believe for the M tracks that the switch light is connected to the track (return) and not to the blue wires which control the solenoids only, so you would somehow have to connect a lead from the brown (return) to the track in addition to the wires that go to the switch controller for direction control. I wonder how this would work when combined with a CS/MS or 6021 and how phase and common ground would have to be arranged.

If your transformer is one of plastic shelled blue ones, you should not have the same issue as with the older metal transformers.

Hopefully Jacques Vuyes or one of the M Track wiring experts can weigh in on this situation.

Regards

Mike C
Offline stlcards54  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2015 15:03:28(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
I do have the plastic one circa 1992. So maybe that wasn't the problem after all. I did check the yellow brown voltage and it was fine.