Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HVS  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2015 12:29:16(UTC)
HVS

United Kingdom   
If this is in the wrong section I'm very sorry - mods are free to move.

I am not the "train person" that would be my husband. He usually models in something completely different - but last year we saw some tin plate track in a box in a second hand shop and he bought it. He told me it was "3 rail" and talked on a bit, I didn't really understand (you know how it is with your OH)

He put it in a box, and that was that. Now I thought how nice it would be to buy a vintage train to run on it - not knowing the huge can of worms I was opening...

The track he bought was mostly Marklin, three rail, and the same size as some Horny Dublo by Meccano in the same box - so I went down the Marklin route. I bought a vintage 1960's set on ebay (arrived yesterday) only to discover the track itself is not the same.

Having looked here at a photograph showing track of different ages, it appears it might be quite early (the 1938 - 40 stuff) - the track bed is very wide, yellow overmottled with brown. The outer rails are solid, the inner rail an inverted hollow u-shape.
The rail set which has arrived has the power rail underneath the track bed, and little spigots stick up through the base.

So my main question is - are these two types compatible? Could they be made up together and would the train supplied in the 1960's set run on the old track??

I'm sure if you're a Marklin purist that would be dreadful - but for someone who is just being gifted something so that it might work, rather than sit in a box - would it run?

What is your opinion? I would welcome help or advise on this.
Many thanks
HVS

ETA - the pieces are: 12 curves and 4 straights, all the same type - presume this is the track from some kind of starter set?
Offline analogmike  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2015 13:23:20(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
please provide photos of everything you have. this will make it much easier to help you. mike
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2015 13:38:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The 1960s trains will run fine on the earlier tracks with the continuous 3rd rail. I did so myself for many years before changing to the newer plastic based track.

You would need to take care if the situation was reversed. Earlier locos designed for the continuous rail will not run well on the track with the stud contacts.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2015 15:16:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: HVS Go to Quoted Post

So my main question is - are these two types compatible? Could they be made up together and would the train supplied in the 1960's set run on the old track??

Yes they can be run together. What you need to do is get a pair of pliers and gently grip the end of the center rail and bend it down a little, so that as the pick up shoe moves from the newer track to the older track it doesn't catch and stop the loco, potentially damaging the pick-up shoe. If you have a pliers with rounded noses it will be easier to grip the center rail because of its shape.

If you do this to all the older track then it doesn't matter how you arrange the track as you set it up.

My father carried this out for some friends when I was very small, and they expanded the Marklin layout they had and got the new track. It was very successful.
Offline HVS  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2015 17:03:06(UTC)
HVS

United Kingdom   
Here is a link to the photobucket of the track pictures (some not very good, sorry)

http://s1291.photobucket...lamay1961/library/Trains

Many thanks for the responses so far - looks like he could combine the two sets of track if he wanted, although the purchased set does have enough track to create a simple layout by itself.
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2015 19:58:09(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
saw your'e pics. yes they are compatible. i believe the one with the solid rail was produced 1936-1940. have fun. mike
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .