Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stlcards54  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2015 01:28:24(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
Hi, I've done a couple lokpilot conversions and now want to do a loksound conversion on my 3411 br18. A couple questions.

1. My motor is a faulhaber, so no conversion is required as with the scfm right?

2. Where is the best place to put the speaker in the loco or the tender?

3. I see different versions of the loksound. Should I get the loksound v4.0 m4? I have the ms2.

Thanks!
Offline biedmatt  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2015 04:24:36(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hello,
Your motor will work fine.
I prefer the boiler for speakers, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.
If you're using an MS2, I would recommend the M4 version as it will fit right in with the (prefered) MFX format of the MS2.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2015 08:24:46(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
If you're using an MS2, I would recommend the M4 version as it will fit right in with the (prefered) MFX format of the MS2.
Just a reminder: to program those decoders (from ESU or Märklin) with an MS2, you have to disable the preferred and most powerful mfx protocol in the MS2, perform the programming with DCC, re-activate mfx and run the loco with mfx.
Ignore the remark if you program ESU decoders with a LokProgrammer. Otherwise consider buying ESU V4 without M4 and run the decoder with DCC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2015 14:27:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: stlcards54 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I've done a couple lokpilot conversions and now want to do a loksound conversion on my 3411 br18. A couple questions.

1. My motor is a faulhaber, so no conversion is required as with the scfm right?

No conversion required, correct - but do make sure you set the decoder up for a coreless motor. I haven't looked at the documentation, but it needs to be set for high frequency drive, otherwise the motor can be damaged and will need replacing.

2. Where is the best place to put the speaker in the loco or the tender?

It comes down to 'wherever you can put it'. Locos of that era were not designed to have sound modules fitted Mad so finding somewhere to put it may not be the easiest process. In the tender will probably be the most sensible place, and one part of the consideration is to have a sound baffle so the back of the loud speaker is sealed off from the outside world. If thsi gets hard then there are various outfits that sell loud speakers with a built in baffle.

3. I see different versions of the loksound. Should I get the loksound v4.0 m4? I have the ms2.

Thanks!

I would be tempted to go that route. Order the decoder with the appropriate sound file already loaded, and most of the CVs should be set up for you, and you should only need to set the address and tune the motor parameters to get a smooth performance. There is an automatic mode that does this for you, and I have heard it works well. haven't tried it myself yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline 3rail4life  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2015 17:11:05(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi, Your 3411 BR 18.1 seems to be a good candidate for a sound conversion. When searching for pictures I found this page from Hanno Brünninghaus:

BR 18.1

He did a couple of nice mods in addition to the loksound, ThumpUp looks pretty cool...

Cheers,

Gordon

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life