Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biedmatt  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2015 00:00:06(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I have been spending the last couple weeks installing lighting kits in my passenger cars.
At the moment I am doing an A4um-61 passenger wagen from set 43929. It is the modern 28cm variation.

The piece in the first picture is the brass plate that clips over the coupler pocket "wings" and hold it in place.
This is the original from the wagen.

UserPostedImage

But, because the "tails" on the brass plate are not wide enough, I must use the replacement plates included in set 7319. M is apparently aware that these must be replaced because the replacement plates are included in the current conducting coupler kit. For those who may not be familiar, the metal clip that fits into the coupler arm and conducts current from the coupler pocket to this plate will clear the narrow ends of the brass plate and fall out as the coupler pocket swings from side to side in a curve.

This is the replacement plate included in set 7319

UserPostedImage

As you can see, it is about .5mm narrower than the original plate. Now you're probably thinking no big deal, but you'd be wrong.

In this comparison photo with the replacement plate in front and the original in back, you will see that the difference in width is enough that the small plastic fingers molded into the wagen frame will not hold the plate in place as it is too narrow. The "saw tooth" in the original plate indicates the clearance for the finger molded into the wagen frame. As you can see, the replacement plate in front does not go wide enough to be captured under those fingers.

UserPostedImage

So, the metal clip in the coupler pocket pushes the plate up and out as seen in this picture.

UserPostedImage

So it is a royal PITA to assemble the coach when the plates keep coming out of place. The wagen interior will hold the plate down once installed, but I am not sure it will not move under service. You can not run a bead of hot glue down one side of the plate as the interior fits very close to the plate and the side of the frame. This then holds the interior up and prevents you from assembling the wagen. Super glue, if applied carefully would probably hold it, but then so well you could not take it apart to replace a broken coupler pocket.

How did they screw up something so simple?
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Token  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2015 07:44:55(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Trying to reassemble some passenger cars after installing the lighting can be a royal PITA at the best of times. Does anyone know if this problem extends beyond just the 28cm cars?

Regards,

Michael.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Token
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2015 10:21:28(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You might want to avoid all these problems and use the Train-Tech lighting kits. They require no pickups, no special couplers, and no decoders. The LEDs come on when the Train starts to move and when it stops they go out after 4 minutes. I have some arriving today and I'm going to try them out on some of my coaches. If they work well I will use these as my first choice for all my coaches.

http://www.train-tech.co.../interior-coach-lighting
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2015 11:23:09(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I plan on using micro 2 and 3 pin connectors, well at least with my old non-NEM pocket coaches.

I did install lighting in a couple of coaches about 4 years ago using the parts from the 7319 kits and never had any trouble. Then again maybe I was just lucky with the type of coaches I used. Confused
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2015 12:43:37(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi guys,

I got to thinking later that this was not the first set of X4xx-61 28cm cars I have installed light kits. I also did the coaches in set 43969 and I have another same set in my dwindling "to do stack". I compared wagens from both sets. Once I was satisfied they were identical, I opened one of the coaches from set 43969 and found this:

The original plate in the A4um-61 coach from set 43969:

UserPostedImage

It is the right width. I also remember that it did not have a problem with the clip popping out of the coupler pocket at the travel end point.

So I did a back to back photo of the clip from set 43969 and set 43929. The tails are wide enough from set 43969 that you can use the clips provided in the set.

UserPostedImage

I have done about 65 wagens now and these are the only ones that have given me trouble. It looks like these wagens use a clip .5mm wider than the norm. The ease with which you will install a lighting kit depends solely on which clips they installed at the factory. I have no idea why these 28cm wagens would use a clip different from all the other wagens. There might be a way to order the ones you want, but I do not know how to determine the right part number of the two.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline db ice3  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2015 12:44:40(UTC)
db ice3

im sorry to read about this difficulty and i can only imagine how frustrating it is too biedmatt.

i would like to install lights into 2 of my little 4 wheeled passenger coaches i have and only hope to use the marklin shoe to collect power - im looking to use dcc concepts flicker-free type warm yellow led lights in mine.

i just hope the pick up shoe isnt so difficult to install!.
Offline biedmatt  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2015 12:59:10(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post

i just hope the pick up shoe isnt so difficult to install!.

LOL My hopes too, but they were dashed. These coaches use a slider that uses an offset or asymetric mounting point. There is a small amount of clearance between the truck and slider mounting post. Normally this isn't a problem, but the asymetric mounting point means the deflection at the far end of the slider is greater than a slider with a center mount point. So these are causing some trouble at my switches. I am removing the asymetric sliders and installing a symetrical mount sliders into the diner. The center mount sliders have been good as gold.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 21 February 2015 10:16:31(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
You might want to avoid all these problems and use the Train-Tech lighting kits. They require no pickups, no special couplers, and no decoders. The LEDs come on when the Train starts to move and when it stops they go out after 4 minutes. I have some arriving today and I'm going to try them out on some of my coaches. If they work well I will use these as my first choice for all my coaches.

http://www.train-tech.co.../interior-coach-lighting

Hi Ray,

I'm interested in your feedback regarding the battery powered led strips?

Have you tested them yet?

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 22 February 2015 00:09:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Lasse,

I fitted them in my CIWLcoaches very successfully. They were extremely easy and quick to fit. Have a look in my coaches thread.

https://www.marklin-user...h-lights.aspx#post482280
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 22 February 2015 00:15:31(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I bought four to put in my Gluckauf set. I couldn't work out any other way to light 'em up. Waiting for them to arrive.
Matt
Era 3
Offline NZMarklinist  
#11 Posted : 22 February 2015 01:08:39(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Just a thought Matt, but with all the compromises necessary with the replacement plates, have you not considered soldering the wire to the too narrow tail of the originals of the 43929 ? I too have those sets and will want to light them, but I haven't had a look at the plates and their connector tails.

I suspect this is another "China Syndrome" Mad
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline biedmatt  
#12 Posted : 22 February 2015 03:14:26(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hello Glen, I have been building my light kits following Moritz's post.

https://www.marklin-user...pacitors.aspx#post451935

I can only fit one capacitor in the restrooms of these wagens, but the one seems to work just fine.

For connections, I have been soldering wires to the tails of the plates and one to the spade connector on the plate. I tie the two plates together to pass power through the wagen. Two solder connections at one side and one at the other. The plates from the current conducting coupler kits are working okay. M has the wagens designed so everything interlocks. The interior holds the plate down and the spade connector on the plate passing up and through the interior keeps them from sliding toward the center of the wagen. So the plates will work, it is just that you need a few hands to get it all together. I've been doing another group of these wagens, the same that are being re-released later this year and they too have the wide tail plates. It looks like the narrow tail plates only got used on this one set of wagens.

I have more wagens coming this week. I'll take pics of one as I wire it and post them later this week.
Matt
Era 3