Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline siroljuk  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2015 17:13:43(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,
Offline siroljuk  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2015 17:18:35(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Sorry, only picture or really, attachment.
I try to use pictures in my topic, but it seems to be difficult.

I´ll get back with my question, or better, proposal after I have managed to get real pictures in my topic.

Jukka
Offline siroljuk  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2015 17:32:33(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello, it seems to be so difficult to get picture in, that I just write.
My proposal is:

Would it be nice to have real good instructions how to program CS2 routes...or memory.
What can be done and how to do.
My problem is that I cannot read good enough German language and automatic translators are not so good fron Deutch to English, not to mention to Finnish.
And I have not found proper instructions and help for programming CS2 memory and all it´s possibilities.
That picture abowe is only example what we could do to visualize when we write detailed instruction.

So does anybody know if there are somewhere writed instructions and explanations of what to put into those several fields whe programming memory.

As far as I understand you Märklin people know very much about CS2 and it´s possibilities. Only it is quite hard to find right information. Therefore I suggest that you put your experiences around memory programming and perhaps I could collet them together and put finally the whole collection of best practises of memory programming into this thread.

Please give me info about where to find that kind of information.

Regards

Jukka Sirola
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline Nicky6  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2015 19:25:24(UTC)
Nicky6

Switzerland   
Hello Jukka

I found some good help in this post:

https://www.marklin-user...e---Tips-and-tricks.aspx

I was struggling with my switching-yard and found really good help in a translated document by "Laxman" in post #18.

Take a look, there are some good tips in this post.

Regards
Nicky6
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Nicky6
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2015 01:20:12(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
...... I suggest that you put your experiences around memory programming and perhaps I could collate them together

Hello Jukka

This is not a trivial exercise, changes keep occurring at each update and there is contending (although sometimes complementary) views from the PC world.

I would suggest that you "maintain" your first post as a Table of Contents, with links to posts (internal) and references(external) kept under meaningful headings
A ToC needs to be well structured and adhere to key terminology for it to become a focal point of return to as a reference.

As it pertains to this topic I offer some basic headings and sub headings - rearrange or disregard as you see fit ...

- Memory functional description
- - panel description
- - - explain icons
- - - translate as required
- - Icon meaning
- Route naming and identification
- - suggested disciplines
- - (sensor naming/grouping)
- - Translation
- Memory scope
- - Route sequence
- - Locomotive Function
- - Sound (CS2) Function
- - MFX+ timetable
- Route Builder
- - Warnings
- - Cursor Control
- - Delay awareness
- - Components (location/selection)
- - Editing
- Activation (trigger)
- - Manual
- - - From Memory
- - - From Layout
- - Sensor
- - - presence/absence trigger
- - - Sensor identification
- - - Conditional management
- - Locomotive function
- - MFX+ timetable
- Problem Determination (Aids)
- - Print off routes for reference
- Left field Solutions
- - Route interlocking
- Reality Bytes
- - Competing resources
- - Power boundaries (loss of control)
- FAQ.
- - How do I ....
- - Video walkthrough
- When you should consider a PC instead
- Other
- - (there is always something else)
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline siroljuk  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2015 08:23:11(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Thank You Nicky6 and Peter.

Peter, your "the contents of the list" is good startThumpUp. I´ll start to read all information from Nicky6´s link, it is quite long.

This will be a very big project, and I'm going to focus on the MEMORY. I will clip many texts from here and there in this forum and ofcourse write own text also.
I hope that if somebody feels that it is not fair to copy piece of texts from various topics, it is time to say it now, PLEASE.Unsure

I start today and spend few hours per day for the work.

All ideas are welcome during this work.

By the way, is there somewhere help for easy way to get pictures into my posts. I have tried som that I yeterday foud, but for some reason I didn´t manage to get pictures, only attachement.

Thank you all

Jukka
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2015 16:50:48(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,

Here is my start of MEMORY-instruction of CS2.
Smile
Look at the pdf-document and tell me your opinnion should I continue.

I have not yet managed to find effective ways (thread which is workingl) how to transfer images without service charges, I'll put the pictures and text in the document.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline amartinezv  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2015 19:11:02(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello,

I am not a expert with the memory but I know some things:

In the pics that you have upload there's route A1, A2.....A8, B1....B8 etc, thas has a meaning

routes A are set and release by the first s88 module
routes B are set and realease by the 2nd s88 and so on

In each single s88 the contacts 1, 2, 3 etc sets the routes 1, 2, etc, and the contacts 9, 10, 11 etc releases the routes 1, 2, 3 accordingly..

The time between a route is set and release the route is locked, thats mean that none othe route can change any element of the route set.

One route can exist inside othe route,

A long time ago, there was some very interesting articles in magazine märklin insider, in the numbers 4/98 , 6/98, 3/99, 5/99 this magazin was edited in english, french, maybe dutch, so I think that you should look for this numbers, maybe in ebay.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2015 04:04:10(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I have not yet managed to find effective way ... to transfer images ....

When you are loged in to mu, refer to the the "My Dashboard" section at the top of the page , and then "Manage/Upload my pictures"
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2015 04:08:09(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post

Hi amartinezv,

Just to avoid confusion , you should qualify you comments as referring to the Marklin 6043 Memory
UserPostedImage

The CS2-Memory function may be a modern variant with similar intent, but it does operate quite differently in most areas

Edited by user 14 February 2015 10:42:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#11 Posted : 12 February 2015 05:12:47(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Look at the pdf-document and tell me your opinnion ....

Maybe a date/version on the document to track changes

Ref: "A route is a particular path to be traversed by a locomotive (or a train) and for which all of the corresponding turnouts and signals are to be set at
the press of a single button"

This may have been the initial function and may still be the function most often deployed, but it is only one aspect of many - some usages may not use signals or turnouts at all.

Maybe a qualification of some kind
May I suggest that the buttons in the memory be called sequences - of which a route may be a subset usage.

Ref: "A small yellow dot is shown on the button for a route as long as the memory is setting the items for that route.
The dot may be other colours - blue/grey appears to indicate a wait/delay
Ref: When the dot changes to green, the route has been set
Comment needed : if a route(sequence) contains an audio file or the same item in different states (e.g. horn on/horn off) the green dot will not display

Ref: In pure manual operation a route can only be activated with the button for that route in the Central Station.
Clarification: a route(sequence) associated(triggered) by a loco function on the CS2 will also work in manual mode only

Ref: The UserPostedImage button is used to store the newly generated or altered route.
Clarification!
The UserPostedImage button is used to store AND EXIT the newly generated or altered route.
The UserPostedImagebutton is used to apply/store and return for further editing the newly generated or altered route(sequence).

Peter
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 12 February 2015 08:18:51(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Just to avoid confusion [...]
When you deep-link pictures from the M* product database, you will see the pictures correctly - everybody else will see just the Märklin logo ...

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline siroljuk  
#13 Posted : 12 February 2015 10:17:52(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your repliesThumpUp . This is just what I ment: I will write ( clip mostly sentences and entire paragraphs ) and the you comment and I corret the text. Very good.

You perhaps noticed that the first paragraph is Memory-text directly from latest CS2´s ( 60215 ) internal WEB server. And yes, as Peter said, original Memory and its all fuctions are changed during the time. I am sure, that changes will continue.

I will put Peter´s suggestions in the document.

I'm trying to figure out during the Project, differences and similarities between CS2 PC and the actual Central Station.

There will be also warnings to be carefull during programming, because automatic learning function in CS2 isd not very clever.

Testing and writing continues to come during the weekend.

Any kind of feedback is welcome and valuable

Sincerely, Jukka
Offline amartinezv  
#14 Posted : 12 February 2015 10:51:42(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post

Hi amartinezv,

Just to avoid confusion , you should qualify you comments as referring to the Marklin 6043 Memory
UserPostedImage

The CS2-Memory function may be a modern variant with similar intent, but it does operate quite differently in most areas

Yes, my comments refer to old memory 6043, there has never been much documentation about the operation of the memory, in the manuals of the new CS only mention of this function is done. I guess the operating principles are the same, although they may be different and I may be wrong.

best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline clapcott  
#15 Posted : 14 February 2015 20:34:03(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Hello Jukka

After reading and re-reading (3 or 4 times) the latest Marklin Magazin (01/2015 English) articles "The Memory Upgrade - pg 16" I am totally befuddled by inaccuracies and half expressed ideas, (e.g. they refer to the old Memory-6043 as 6040 ). I would suggest that maybe a bit of feedback from those readers who are seeking the information. Particularly on exactly what format any "help" document should takes.

For example, the Magazin seems intent on spinning out words in a way that it takes sentences, if not paragraphs, to convey the simplest if ideas, and ones that I think could be far better conveyed with images (schematics, images with notation and even videos - as well as step based instructions) .
Peter
Offline siroljuk  
#16 Posted : 15 February 2015 09:11:44(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi Peter,
Thank you for your post, you take up the important issue of writing.

You can see easily that people who wrote that article in Märklin magazin are not Englis spoken people. To write foreign language text is not easy if you are not used to write much.
You can see from my text that my mother language is not English. That is why I prefer to write with pictures.
I think that the difficulty of writing right kind of English text is due to the fact that Märklin don´t produce decent instructions in English languages.

The basic idea of my writing is to use you-expression as a target and self-expression as a source. This is so, because I do not know how to use the English phrases, I do not know more than a few saying in English. Keep it simple, it is my motto.

I will put one really good file in this post, it is in German. If you want to use it then you can use the google translator web page to help.

It is now morning in Finland, when I write this, Iĺl put my next version of my instruction into next post this evening.

Regards
Jukka

Ps. Peter Wrote:

When you are loged in to mu, refer to the the "My Dashboard" section at the top of the page , and then "Manage/Upload my pictures"

I still did not manage to transfer pictures, because I cannot find that "Manage/Upload my pictures" in my Dashboard. Ther are only PROFILE, LINKS and STATISTICS

I use Internet explorer 11

Offline siroljuk  
#17 Posted : 15 February 2015 17:01:25(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello All, here is latest version of my CS2 Memory-Project document.Huh

It takes time to test and write . . . and test and write.

Please read the text and all comments of your are velcome.

Edited by user 16 February 2015 08:05:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline siroljuk  
#18 Posted : 15 February 2015 21:32:36(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi all,

I´m really sorry for my mistype in this evenings document.Blushing Sad OhMyGod

Here is corrected document.

Thank you Peter!!ThumpUp
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline stah  
#19 Posted : 16 February 2015 20:26:14(UTC)
stah

Sweden   
Jukka, this is really, really good! The manuals from Märklin are bad, it's a shame that we have to put up with this. I have wrote to Märklin, and they say that the website eventually will be 1:1 German and English. Well, seeing is believing.
For now, I will enjoy your manual! I will try to contribute if I find out something useful that you have not already covered.

Thanks again!

//Stefan, Sweden

Edited by user 17 February 2015 17:07:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Nielsenr  
#20 Posted : 17 February 2015 06:48:16(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Hello Jukka

After reading and re-reading (3 or 4 times) the latest Marklin Magazin (01/2015 English) articles "The Memory Upgrade - pg 16" I am totally befuddled by inaccuracies and half expressed ideas, (e.g. they refer to the old Memory-6043 as 6040 ). I would suggest that maybe a bit of feedback from those readers who are seeking the information. Particularly on exactly what format any "help" document should takes.

For example, the Magazin seems intent on spinning out words in a way that it takes sentences, if not paragraphs, to convey the simplest if ideas, and ones that I think could be far better conveyed with images (schematics, images with notation and even videos - as well as step based instructions) .

I saw there was a three part series in the German version of the Marklin Magazine in issues 5/2014. 6/2014, and 1/2015 on upgrades to the Memory/Routes of the CS2. Tried using Google Translate to get them to English but that didn't work too well.

If anyone has the English version of these issues and wouldn't mind scanning them to PDFs and emailing them to me, I would appreciate it. I would like to try and understand what these updates can do.

Thanks in advance!!

Robert
Offline siroljuk  
#21 Posted : 17 February 2015 08:23:06(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello and good morning ( Here in Finland time is 09:10 in the morning).
I just received latest post from Marklin and noticed latest news about CS2; The Memory Upgrade.

My version of Marklin Magazine is in English, so it is easy to read and understand. Unfortunately I´m no allowed to scan it or eralier version for you because of copyright laws.

Although new articles about CS2 are quite good, I will continue my own project. I cannot find certain problem areas in these articles at all. I should change my basic thoughts a bit however.

Hopefully I can write something today, meet you after ten hours or so . . .

Jukka
Offline clapcott  
#22 Posted : 17 February 2015 09:09:55(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Jukka,

If I may suggest a caption and "Fig xx" ref, with each image to enable succinct reference from the text anywhere in the document (not just the adjacent paragraph).

Maybe a similar glossary of the button images (like pg 14 of the http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/60215_betrieb.pdf manual) choosing just the memory related ones, but elaborating (considerably) on each with ...
- a succinct name (again for concise reference) - e.g. "Sequence Activation Mode" button
- describing where it is located / what it relates to - e.g. On the Memory Programming pages, to the right of each row of 8 sequence buttons
- what it does - e.g. toggles between the triggering of the 8 sequences from Manual and Auto+Manual mode
- describing when to use it - e.g. to enable/disable the 8 sequences in the row for automatic S88 triggering
- indicating the section in the document where it is discussed
Note, the images can be sourced from your own CS2 library or from the install location of the CS2-PC via xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/config/sysicons/

Extending this further, I think having specific names for pages and tabs panels would also make text references more succinct
I submit as suggestions ..
- Memory Operation Page
- Memory Programming Page
- - Sequence selection Pane
- - Sequence Builder Pane
- - Sequence Basic Settings Pane
- - Sequence Advanced Setting Dialogue

Re: ... Green button ( I don´t kno the name)
I would call this a "tick" or "check" ("check mark")

The reference to left and right clicking on the CS2-PC may be a bit confusing (for someone just looking at their own hardware CS2)
Maybe some indication like
- right click on CS2-PC-... is the same as what you see on a PC
- left click is unique to the CS2-PC and opens additional ...

I think the page2 image and panel description should be after the first paragraph on page one.
Jumping straight into dot colour meaning and manual/automatic mode description is running before you can walk.

P.S. along with the version, you might want include your name as author, and maybe acknowledgements/bibliography(especially if you are cutting from the Marklin manuals)

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#23 Posted : 17 February 2015 09:17:01(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post

I saw there was a three part series in the German version of the Marklin Magazine in issues 5/2014. 6/2014, and 1/2015 on upgrades to the Memory/Routes of the CS2.

FWIW these German episodes are available online at http://www.maerklin.de/m...n_specials_downloads.php
Refer Neues von der Central Station (ab MM 05/2014)
The English publications is delayed a month with the 2nd appearing in 1/2015.
Part one has no memory reference
Part two is conceptual/marketing with just one or two nuggets of substance.

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#24 Posted : 17 February 2015 09:48:33(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Jukka,

I offer my personal suggestions as tips

Tip: Preparation: Install a master switch between CS2 and layout.
The CS2 must be on (Go not Stop) for the programming of components. This can be a good feature if you are in "learn" mode where you are recording your actions in switching routes or driving a locomotive around the layout, however more often than not you do not want to upset the actual state of the layouts points and signals while you are entering or editing sequences.

Tip: Preparation: Ensure your Keyboard items are named and preferably loaded onto a layout configuration
This will facilitate setup and, more importantly, editing.

Tip: Usage: The Delete/Trash function will act on any object with a dark blue boarder
It is possible to get frustrated if you see an object that you want to delete and simply click on it and then delete.
If you haven't UN-highlighted the previous object you were working on , it will be deleted also

Tip: Awareness: Don't drag the stylus when changing locomotive speed when programming
Doing this will generate numerous intermediate commands in the sequence.
A corollary to this is that the artificial acceleration/delay settings that you may configure for a locomotive will do the same thing. The recommendation is to leave these set to 0 (except for 6080 generation decoders) and let the decoder do the acceleration for you

Tip: Suggested Practice: Name the sequence meaningfully
Personally I prefix the name with the sensor number - so I don't have to enter edit mode and select a sequence to find its details.

Tip: Suggested Practice: Printout your sequences
Especially when debugging sequences that are interacting, being able to refer to all sequences on a document is far more effective than using the screen to pop in and out of each sequence individually

The /config/fahrstrassen.cs2 file on the CS2 contains the details of your routes. It may not be the easiest to read as it is but at least it can be read. Alternatively Running the file through a spreadsheet macro or using a small App will make things a lot clearer.

Tip: Usage: The same sequence may be used for multiple locos when placed as a Fx icon
While a sequence may be built (e.g. lights on,wait,station announcement,wait,whistle,wait,go) using a specific locomotive ID, if that sequence is loaded as a FX button for a different loco then running the sequence will use that locos ID instead.

Warning. (This might be a bug) the sequence cannot be run on more than one loco at a time

Tip: Awareness: Ensure the pulse for a moment function (e.g. horn) is not too short
The Sequence programming is quite literal when you press(pulse) a momentary function for a locomotive. it sends an "on" command when you press the key and an "off" command as soon as you release the key. If you do this too quickly then the delays in the sequence may mean that this function will appear not to work when you run the sequence.

Don't be shy in holding the button down for half a second when programming
Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline siroljuk  
#25 Posted : 17 February 2015 11:16:25(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Peter, thank you for your valuable feedback and suggestions. They are valuable.

And hello you all!

Now I have to tell you all a bit of myself so that you understand ( I hope) the basic meaning of my writings.

I am a professional computer programmer and computer network expert. Now retired. 65 years old. I have worked with computers all my adult life(38 years in the same comppany) and I´m interested of all technical stuff. All my targets with Marklin and modedl railways are . . . well it is difficult to say . . . perhaps to atomate all possible function and movements.
I am not so eager to bild diodramas and scenerys . . . YET. That is why my layout is like this at the moment:

My testing layout

I have been thinking about why I am playing with model railways. I´m not very keen on constructing diodramas. Yes ... they are good looking, you can spend lot on time to build them, but ...
You must have plenty of space, much stuff which are not railway stuff and therefore you have to have money also. . . and time to build.
When I retired I decided to start my childhoods hobby again. I put lot of money to buy all kind of Marklin stuff. Naturally, I wanted to digitize all. Märklin was the one and only, because I had my first set in 1959 and I have it still, only all locomotives have digital decoder inside.
I have made several, quite complicated layouts and newest one is finally such that I can try to automate it.
During last few years also Marklin has managed to improve their software and devices so tha nowadays complete amutomatic layout with running train is possible. ( At least towards some point)

Before I start to write real and quite detailed instructions for CS2 Memory I hope you think about questions like:

Why should I automate my layout, really why not just run trains on it?
Is my layout such that it is easy to automate?
Do I know what kind of contacts are usefull to use, do I really know what kind of contacts can be used?
Is it right time to start automatization now or should I wait for next update of Marklin or other software?
Is CS2 right kind of device for just My layout, perhaps should I use only PC-based program, freeware or erxpensive ones?

Perhasps you have more questions berofe anyone should make a decisions what to do.

I have noticed that it is not so easy to jump in and start to do in practice if you don´t exactly know what you really want.

Then you make your decision and you should stick to your decision.

By this time. . . see you Jukka
Offline siroljuk  
#26 Posted : 17 February 2015 12:19:25(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello again

AT this point I want to add something to Peters exellent TIP-collection.

Tip: Preparation: Install a master switch between CS2 and layout.
The CS2 must be on (Go not Stop) for the programming of components. This can be a good feature if you are in "learn" mode where you are recording your actions in switching routes or driving a locomotive around the layout, however more often than not you do not want to upset the actual state of the layouts points and signals while you are entering or editing sequences
Do you mean that master switch like unplug the wire or somethin like that?

Tip: Awareness: Don't drag the stylus when changing locomotive speed when programming
Doing this will generate numerous intermediate commands in the sequence.
A corollary to this is that the artificial acceleration/delay settings that you may configure for a locomotive will do the same thing. The recommendation is to leave these set to 0 (except for 6080 generation decoders) and let the decoder do the acceleration for you

And remember here, that pressing the RED BUTTON is also action which wil be recorded, you can edit that recording aftewards thoug. Red knob is not recommended to rotate for increase or decrease the speed. Instead use stylus to poit exact speed on the screen.

Tip: Suggested Practice: Printout your sequences
Especially when debugging sequences that are interacting, being able to refer to all sequences on a document is far more effective than using the screen to pop in and out of each sequence individually

The /config/fahrstrassen.cs2 file on the CS2 contains the details of your routes. It may not be the easiest to read as it is but at least it can be read. Alternatively Running the file through a spreadsheet macro or using a small App will make things a lot clearer.

Printing something from CS2 is quite easy:
Connect the device to you pc one way or another, and write CS2`s address into your web-brouser, then open config tab to see what is in there. Here is example to take out the fahrstrassen.cs2

196.254.35.12/config/fahrstrassen.cs2. You can see, that my CS2 in connected via the cross-linked cable to my PC an Windows has took an privat address for this connection.

Very good Peter, We can see already now that the basic meaning of this topic is goin to right direction.

When YOU GUYS comment and ask something always our knolendge of Mysterious CS2 Memory will increase.

Jukka

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#27 Posted : 18 February 2015 11:59:54(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello all,
While I test CS2 memory, I want to point out some important ( at least I think they are important) details.

When you start to dream about automated layout think before doing anything, what is it you really want. Is it only that you want to see how yor train goes speeds up and down during its way from one point to another. Or do you want to have completed automated layout with sounds and lights and all that kind of stuff.

In my opinnion, fully automated layout is possible only if you have thought all necessary devices, wirings and also buildings, tunnels etc. advanced so that they can be managed when layout is ready.
I have tried to automate old layout which was build to be manual and I find it very difficult to automate. Practically I had to rip down the whole thing and when I started to get it up again, I realized that its not worth at all.

So that the train would be as realistic as possible with respect of speed, slowing downs and stops ,you should plan a route that includes a number of sequences in advance very carefully.

Advance planning will show you how much different items (actions and functions) you should put behind sequences. My rule is that keep it as simple as possible. Put only few items in one sequence, name them so that you can see what the sequence is doing. Remember, that CS2 is only a computer, with LINUX-operating system and quite slow processor.

Yesterday I got my CS2 in complete stall because of too many actions in one sequence without long enough pauses between.

ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION to all of you: Does anyone know is there any way to cancel ongoing sequence?

It is frustrating to have to wait several minutes while your unsatisfied sequence goes and goes and you cannot do anything

Another question is: Does anyone know is there way to copy items from sequence to another or change order of the items?

WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES? Have you meet problems with slow processor of CS2?

BTW. Have anyone ever tried to connect ordinary PC-keyboard to CS2´s USB-socket. Do you know what can be done with that keybord ( I thinking that CS2 is only LINUX-PC).

Have a nice time with you trains

Jukka

Remember, that you can do with your PC connected to CS2 allmost all same actions that you do with only CS2 and stylus.
Offline stah  
#28 Posted : 18 February 2015 20:01:08(UTC)
stah

Sweden   
Folks,
can someone explain why the Cs2 behaves like this?

I create a very simple route; start, run for 5 seconds, stop. The route looks like this:

The upper box shows I have set the sped to F403 (whatever that means...) and the lok runs for 5.5 seconds.
The lower box tells us the lok has stopped (speed = F0)

Now I want to edit the route, switching on the lok lights when it stops. I highlight the upper box, switches to "control" and pushes the "light" button. A third box appears, showing "Lights on"

Now to my question; Why has the running time in the upper box changed from 5.5 to 16 seconds?

All the best to Jukka and everybody else!
//Stefan, Östersund, Sweden

Offline siroljuk  
#29 Posted : 19 February 2015 08:12:26(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi Stefan and others,
I have noticed the same strange behavior. I think it must be a BUG. Almost every time when I have changed allready programmed sequence, time in the items has changed and I have not found any reasonable ground for this kind of behavior.
I will write about this and other illogical findings later in my coming document.

Jukka
Offline clapcott  
#30 Posted : 19 February 2015 09:26:06(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: stah Go to Quoted Post

Now to my question; Why has the running time in the upper box changed from 5.5 to 16 seconds?

In learning mode, any object you add will cause the previous one to be updated with how long you delayed in selecting the object.
In this case by the time you got round to turning the lights on, 16 seconds had elapsed

This can be good to capture what you did, but the chances are that what you physically did (delay-wise) is not what you wanted because you were thinking through the process and having to navigate to different pages. Therefore you are more than likely going to edit the object and tweak the times
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#31 Posted : 19 February 2015 09:40:18(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
P.S.
Stefan,
Rather than taking a photo of the CS2 screen, there is a screenshot function available if you are on the network and browse directly to the CS2s IP address.
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#32 Posted : 19 February 2015 10:15:26(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION to all of you: Does anyone know is there any way to cancel ongoing sequence?
It is frustrating to have to wait several minutes while your unsatisfied sequence goes and goes and you cannot do anything.

Selecting Edit Mode will curtail ALL sequences.

Be warned - if a train was in the middle of something, pending a stop or reverse command - it will just keep going

Quote:
.. Have anyone ever tried to connect ordinary PC-keyboard to CS2´s USB-socket. [/quote
The CS2 will accept a standard USB mouse and keyboard - this is very good for doing text editing
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#33 Posted : 19 February 2015 10:31:54(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
At this stage of the discussion I will offer the following personal conclusions.

The memory is absolutely fine for small isolated route/block control and automation (e.g. signal goes red after locomotive passes)
Random non-critical actions like sounding a horn or whistle add novelty value. Same with layout animation lights/motors

However I would never program whole sequences with it.
Without the logic to track trains at specific locations a lot of the advanced features cannot be effectively used.
The Memory may have gained advanced functionality but it only makes it harder to maintain sequences
Editing and debugging can be a nightmare.
I believe the current limitations in the user interface and poor conflict handling restrict the usability of the memory

I am quite happy to leave the CS2 to process locomotive and accessory commands out to the track and have a PC do the back end sequencing.

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline siroljuk  
#34 Posted : 19 February 2015 12:41:11(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi, I agree with Peter. . . mainly,
but before we totally abandon the use of Memory, I put a little more philosophizing.

If we want to automate our model envinronment, we need PC with sofisticated program for steering that layout and we still need something smart to connect layout and PC. Commercial programs, which are really versatile, are build for using several brands. Therefore they are quite complicated. I have used WinDigipet and I have seen it to be very good. It is huge and it´s functions are good, but it is too complicated for me and it is quite expensive.
You have to know yourself what you want from you model railway environment and automated functions.

CS2 itself is computer and MEMORY part of it with latest software version is interesting. Not yet ready at all, but the direction is right, at least I think so. The CS2´s way of programming is ment for people who are not so good to use computers and therefore I like the idea of Marklin people.

I have seen few this kind of programming tools, for example LEGO Mindstorm EV3. It is ment for young people who are not IT-persons but will make some automatic things with computer. EV3 brick is also LINUX computer.
There programming environment is very good eventhoug it has to be installen into normal PC. I think Marklin people should look at it and look at that kind of environmet in their CS2-PC program.

Back to MEMORY programming.

I just tested timing behavior and it behaves just like Peter wrote. I think it is not problem if you use several small sequences ( only few action per sequence) for automate a part of you whole attempt "route". Make simple sequences, be avare of timing when you use CS2`s automatic learning. Study it, realise when learning will start and how to stop learning during programming.

Kedep doing and write here your experiences, ideas, questions etc.

I have seen this topic very usefull, very good observations, very good tips etc. At least I have learned much and I will continua fter short break my writings, hope some day we will see written instructions.

Thank you all for all yours comments and ideas
Have a cheerfull training

Jukka
Offline stah  
#35 Posted : 20 February 2015 22:13:57(UTC)
stah

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: stah Go to Quoted Post

In learning mode, any object you add will cause the previous one to be updated with how long you delayed in selecting the object.
In this case by the time you got round to turning the lights on, 16 seconds had elapsed

This can be good to capture what you did, but the chances are that what you physically did (delay-wise) is not what you wanted because you were thinking through the process and having to navigate to different pages. Therefore you are more than likely going to edit the object and tweak the times

So, I guess the simplest way to do this is to:
1. Record the sequence.
2. Note the times for every step.
3. Make the insertions.
4. Edit the steps and enter the original times, noted in step 2.

//Stefan
Offline stah  
#36 Posted : 20 February 2015 22:15:59(UTC)
stah

Sweden   
P.S.
Stefan,
Rather than taking a photo of the CS2 screen, there is a screenshot function available if you are on the network and browse directly to the CS2s IP address.

Ok, I will try that next time, thanks!
/stefan
Offline clapcott  
#37 Posted : 22 February 2015 03:26:04(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
If there is one area where I think Marklin have missed the boat it is in a switchboard solution. There may have been a naive marketing expectation that the CS2s Layout panel would supersede this need - if so, I think they were wrong.

The CS2-Memory is an important component for this but it will not be the whole solution by itself. The subject of "how" to activate a memory sequence must be resolved. When this front-end piece of the puzzle is addressed then CS2-Memory will be raring to go.

To date the switchboard functionality could be cobbled together with switches feeding into a s88. - and triggering a CS2-Memory sequence
This is not a cheap proposition, made even less economical by the fact that any point/signal used two inputs (sometimes 3) if you wanted specific control of each device.

Sure, if you were happy to just set routes from a single button - with a single button at the end of a switching yard will set all the points and signals leading into it - you could start to make a very productive 16 route switchboard for the 16 ports of a S88.

If/When the new L88 (Link S88) becomes available we are told that the 16 ports can be multiplexed to indicated 64 switchboard buttons.

Now we are talking! and if there is one think that I see accelerating the use of the CS-Memory usage it will be this switchboard functionality.
It has nothing to do with technology - it is just a means to deliver a tactile and ergonomic solution to control the points and signals of a layout.

Compared to the more advanced abilities that include locomotive control and conditional triggering, this may appear like a bit retro and "last years fashion" but I think nothing could be further from the truth for people who want to look at their layouts and not a TV screen.
Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline siroljuk  
#38 Posted : 23 February 2015 13:21:30(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello all,

Peter wrote the right thing. I am exactly on the same line again after few hours testing the CS2. I also test CS2-PC program and now I realise that PC program is not yet ready at all.

PC program behaves in a strange way in many places while memory programming. Not always at the same way, so if you use CS2-PC, you have to be patient and carefull.

While I programmed memory sequence I couldn´t find answer to following thing, hope you can help me:

When I use EXT. conditions in triggering sequences how should I use them. I have tried to translante this German text:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Fahrstraßen können von einem Ereignis, dem Auslöser, in Abhängigkeit
des Zustandes weiterer Rückmeldekontakte geschaltet werden. Ein Auslöser
ist ein Ereignis, die Bedingungen sind Zustände. Bei einem Auslöser
kann ein steigendes (belegt) oder fallendes (frei) Ereignis bestimmt werden.
Bei den Bedingungen kann festgelegt werden, ob ausgelöst (belegt)
oder nicht ausgelöst (frei) sein soll."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This text is from latest CS2 German version manual, they have not yet translated it for English spoken people.

I don´t understand how to use this conditional way to handle triggering. I have found that condition is like OR- in the trigger-execute-command inside CS2. There should be also AND-

I hope that there is some time in near future one new condition handling in S88 triggering, which is written in the CS2;

I would like to have flag or several flags so that whe flag is up I could put this information in memory and all behaviors in memory sequences would be depend on that flag. When Flag is up then all items will work and when flag is down nothing happens in that sequence.
I have made several flags with K84, but I cannot handle the effects via memory.

It should be so that one Flag would influence as many sequences as we need at that time.

With CS2 and its memory you can do quite complicated manuvers though.

Just remember that sef-learning feature is deceptive and that naming of all over memory items is really important.
Still one thing would be very usefull: If I only could toggle from inside of sequence, MANUAL/AUTOMATIC-button by which I choose should i use S88 triggering or not in sequences in that row to which that button refers.

Iĺl see youBigGrin

Regards

Jukka
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline clapcott  
#39 Posted : 25 February 2015 07:55:48(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

PC program behaves in a strange way in many places while memory programming. Not always at the same way, so if you use CS2-PC, you have to be patient and carefull.

While not strictly a CS2-Memory issue the CS2-PC idiosyncrasies do need to be identified to avoid frustration and false finger pointing

One thing I have found is that when using the CS2-PC to setup CS2-Memory sequences, they may appear to be "saved" however they are not "committed".
Thus if you do not do a controlled shutdown, the sequences are lost.

This can be observed by looking at the /config/fahrstrassen.cs2 file, If you perform a CS2-Memory configuration change on the CS2 itself you will observe the file update immediately. If you perform the change via the CS2-PC application it will not update the file until you have shutdown/reboot cleanly.
Note: this does not stop the new sequence from working while power remains on. i.e. The user will think they have things working, only to find that the sequence disappears - or recent edits are forgotten.

I consider this a bug, in as much as it is inconsistent. It is irrelevant that users "should" shutdown their CS2 correctly before powering off.

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#40 Posted : 25 February 2015 07:59:05(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Still one thing would be very usefull: If I only could toggle from inside of sequence, MANUAL/AUTOMATIC-button by which I choose should i use S88 triggering or not in sequences in that row to which that button refers.

I agree, but suspect the response will be rather shortsighted with the expectation that "Conditioning" will do the same job.

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#41 Posted : 25 February 2015 08:14:02(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I would like to have flag or several flags so that whe flag is up I could put this information in memory and all behaviors in memory sequences would be depend on that flag. When Flag is up then all items will work and when flag is down nothing happens in that sequence.
I have made several flags with K84, but I cannot handle the effects via memory.

Ohhh yes.

Flag
In the past I have resorted to using a k84(switch) to turn a S88 port on and off for this purpose.
UserPostedImage
A bit expensive but very functional

Register
I would go one step further and suggest that a set of registers should be available for virtual tracking of a locomotive ID from block to block
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline siroljuk  
#42 Posted : 25 February 2015 08:28:09(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,
Peter, The Flag is just that. I have used it for some time, but how to handle it automatically.

I have been thinking a bit further to combine flag and K84 for current handling. Cut current in certain points in yourlayout with K84 via memory sequence.

And of course you can connect contact wire to K84 and use " in a way" two lewel contact handling. This is handy, but you need expensive devices.
Sorry my English, but I think you all understand what I mean.

I will write these thinking all into my document with pictures, so everybody can see These quite complicated connections.

I´m very happy, this topic is going always for the better and better.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Jukka
Offline clapcott  
#43 Posted : 25 February 2015 09:00:12(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

When I use EXT. conditions in triggering sequences how should I use them.

A brief description to get the ball rolling ...

The Ext(ra) or "Advanced" dialogue box contains two sections 1) Trigger 2) Condition

Trigger (top half)
With one exception this is exactly the same information about the S88 trigger that is seen on the main Memory sequence setup panel. The information is more spread out and easier to read especially the port numbering abbreviations. (although they are still not in english)
UserPostedImage
M:- C:- = S88 Module and Contact(port)
B:- M:- C:- = L88 Bus, then Module and Contact(port)
B:0 K:- =L88 non-Matrix - Contact(port)
B:- Z:- S:- =L88 Matrix mode ROW(Zeile) and Column(Spalte)

The exception is the additional Device ID field (Shown above with the a LinkS88 selected) which identifies which control device the S88 in question is connected to. As of Feb2015 the options are limited to the Master CS2 or a Slave(Auxiliary/Secondary) CS2. Next month we expect the addition of the L88 (60883 Link-S88) and with the unavailability of legacy S88s you can expect to see this more often.

The purpose of this "Trigger" section is simply to identify which S88 port will trigger the associated memory sequence.
UserPostedImageKeeping in mind that the Manual/Auto button to the right of the Memory's row must be set to auto as well.

An option is provided whereby the trigger event will activated when....
UserPostedImage ... the S88 sensor changes from Unoccupied to Occupied
UserPostedImage ... the S88 sensor changes from Occupied to Unoccupied

As a comment/tip...
The option to use the Occupied->Unoccupied option should only be chosen if you have confidence that the contact will not bounce and give false pulses. This might partially be mitigated by extending the S88 delay time in the CS2 Setup section.

Condition(s) (Bottom half)
While the Trigger fields may define which S88 port is to be used - the "Condition(s)" are what permit/allow it to work.
By default there is no condition defined which means the trigger will always work.

A condition is the definition of a (totally separate) S88 port plus a state (occupied or unoccupied)

If any entries are added to the list of conditions they must ALL be in the correct state for the trigger to work.

In the example below S88 port 1 is the trigger but it will only cause the sequence activate if both ..
- S88 port 2 is occupied
and
- S88 port 3 is Unoccupied
UserPostedImage

As a comment/tip...
It is possible to set a S88 port on the layout diagram without an actual S88 physically available.
touching this S88 will toggle the virtual state of the sensor between Occupied and Unocupied
Peter
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline siroljuk  
#44 Posted : 25 February 2015 09:26:42(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi,
What about the condition, what are it´s effects, how to use condition(s), Trigger is quite easy to understand

Jukka
Offline clapcott  
#45 Posted : 25 February 2015 10:08:03(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

And of course you can connect contact wire to K84 and use " in a way" two lewel contact handling. This is handy, but you need expensive devices.
Sorry my English, but I think you all understand what I mean.

To be truthful, I have long given up on the actual K84 as being too expensive.
Instead I use a K83 and an external latching relay - the relay is DPDT so can do as you suggest,..
- one pole for the actual dead section power
- one pole for the sensor/flag.
Peter
Offline siroljuk  
#46 Posted : 25 February 2015 14:54:28(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   

When I use EXT. conditions in triggering sequences how should I use them.

A brief description to get the ball rolling ...

The Ext(ra) or "Advanced" dialogue box contains two sections 1) Trigger 2) Condition

Trigger (top half)
With one exception this is exactly the same information about the S88 trigger that is seen on the main Memory sequence setup panel. The information is more spread out and easier to read especially the port numbering abbreviations. (although they are still not in english)
UserPostedImage
M:- C:- = S88 Module and Contact(port)
B:- M:- C:- = L88 Bus, then Module and Contact(port)
B:0 K:- =L88 non-Matrix - Contact(port)
B:- Z:- S:- =L88 Matrix mode ROW(Zeile) and Column(Spalte)

The exception is the additional Device ID field (Shown above with the a LinkS88 selected) which identifies which control device the S88 in question is connected to. As of Feb2015 the options are limited to the Master CS2 or a Slave(Auxiliary/Secondary) CS2. Next month we expect the addition of the L88 (60883 Link-S88) and with the unavailability of legacy S88s you can expect to see this more often.

The purpose of this "Trigger" section is simply to identify which S88 port will trigger the associated memory sequence.
UserPostedImageKeeping in mind that the Manual/Auto button to the right of the Memory's row must be set to auto as well.

An option is provided whereby the trigger event will activated when....
UserPostedImage ... the S88 sensor changes from Unoccupied to Occupied
UserPostedImage ... the S88 sensor changes from Occupied to Unoccupied

As a comment/tip...
The option to use the Occupied->Unoccupied option should only be chosen if you have confidence that the contact will not bounce and give false pulses. This might partially be mitigated by extending the S88 delay time in the CS2 Setup section.

Condition(s) (Bottom half)
While the Trigger fields may define which S88 port is to be used - the "Condition(s)" are what permit/allow it to work.
By default there is no condition defined which means the trigger will always work.

A condition is the definition of a (totally separate) S88 port plus a state (occupied or unoccupied)

If any entries are added to the list of conditions they must ALL be in the correct state for the trigger to work.

In the example below S88 port 1 is the trigger but it will only cause the sequence activate if both ..
- S88 port 2 is occupied
and
- S88 port 3 is Unoccupied
UserPostedImage

As a comment/tip...
It is possible to set a S88 port on the layout diagram without an actual S88 physically available.
touching this S88 will toggle the virtual state of the sensor between Occupied and Unocupied

This Peter´s post is the most important part of the whole topic. I do not want to underestimate anyone other comments and / or observations.
Thank you Peter, very much.

Jukka
Offline siroljuk  
#47 Posted : 19 March 2015 17:16:52(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello everyone.

I promise few week ago that I´ll write document about how to program CS2 and it´s MEMORY. Well, it is not ready yet, but I still put it attached here, because I have to wait for new icoming book from Märklin.
Have you seen this:
UserPostedImage

I think I should wait for it( I have ordered it allready) before I continue to write more.

But if someone is willing to read a very incomplete document, and does not care for typographical errors or vague order of things, so that you may read. In this document has been gathered your thoughts and tips which certainly has some advantages.

I will wait for NEW Märklin book 03081 and after that I perhaps write more about my experiences around CS2 memory program.

I hope you all nice TRAINING with Märklin

Regards Jukka

Edited by user 20 March 2015 08:19:48(UTC)  | Reason: misstyping

Offline Danlake  
#48 Posted : 20 March 2015 09:25:01(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Jukka,

Well done - I think it's a good working document you have started which summaries the memory function very well.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline clapcott  
#49 Posted : 24 March 2015 22:43:17(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Re: ... page 3, under picture 2
When activated BR94 start run three seconds in speed of 53 ( at the moment I don’t excatly know what that 53 stands for)

Below is from the help file "hilfe/de/fsitem_speed.html" translated using google ...

In summary the CS2 uses a 0-1000 scale for its internal speed range - this is divided into increments based on the decoders definition of # of steps.
Possibly the easiest way to conceive this is as a percentage divided by 10 - thus 53 = 5.3% of maximum speed

This is rather an over simplification as ...
- the speed curve set into the decoders of modern locomotives is rarely linear
- for a given decoder speed step (say 14 on a 28 step decoder) the scope within the 1000 range could be from approx 482 to 512 )
however it does give a starting reference.
- the magic around a 27 step decoder interpreting a 1-14 command range depends on acceleration v deceleration.

I have my reservation about the calculation shown
I suggest you would be better to learn the speed by driving the loco the way you want and noting the values anyway.

FWIW, on the normal CS2 throttle control page, the FS (Fahstufen) value shown next to the green speed bar max's out a "-1" (1 less) than the specified decoder. i.e. for an mfx 126 step decoder it is 125 and for an old MM 14 step decoder it is 13.

Change engine run command

Loco
Selection of the loco to be controlled
Speed
desired speed of the locomotive in parts per thousand (1: 1000) of the maximum speed of the locomotive
0 = stopping the locomotive with ABV
1 = locomotive runs at the lowest possible gear
100 = train reaches 10% of full speed
500 = train reaches 50% of full speed
750 = train reaches 75% of full speed
1000 = train reaches full speed
Waiting period
The pause after this step run (real-time hh: mm: ss.ss)

If you want to calculate the (per 1000) value for an appropriate gear (decoder spreed step) , the following formula is used:
- Rate (per thousand) = 1+ (increment * ( desired_speed_step -1))

The step size is obtained from the number of speed steps, supported by the decoder:
14 speed steps
increment = 77
27 speed steps
increment = 38
28 speed steps
increment = 37
31 speed steps
increment = 33
126 speed steps
increment = 8
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline clapcott  
#50 Posted : 25 March 2015 00:35:52(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Re:
Here is picture 3: inside of item BR94 53:

Suggest rephrasing to something like ...

The individual parameters of a "Route Element" shown in the sequence builder window may be accessed and edited by pressing and holding the "Route Element" icon for for a couple of seconds.
- Picture 3 shows the "Edit Route Element" window for the first Route Element ("BR94 53") seen in Picture 2
- Picture 4 shows the "Edit Route Element" window for the second Route Element ("8/2 K84") seen in Picture 2
Peter