Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2015 00:06:46(UTC)
db ice3

hello everyone,

thanks to all your help, i had chosen the 37863 shunter loco which i ordered from munich germany and it arrived today.

beautifully packed to ensure safe transport, i setup a little circuit using my newly acquired track and my central station.

i plugged the track into the programming socket, just as a precaution to make sure all was well before running the loco.

i seem to have found a way to make 3 hours disappear playing with this amazing little loco.

it has front and rear telex couplers and the fun iv had shunting my 8 wagons around has been amazing!.

front and rear lights, and variuos very convincing sound effects too!

i am most impressed and want to thank you all that helped make this choice of loco - im delighted with it.

a quick question - should i run it in gently?

at 1st, it was a little spluttery and hesitant. so i got a cotton bud and a little vodka and cleaned just the rail surfaces and dried them off.

the buds were quite blackened by time i cleaned all the rails.

the loco worked much smoother after that.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by db ice3
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2015 03:38:48(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You should also clean the wheels.. As the gunk from the track ends up on the wheels, which then return the gunk to the track.. Clean wheels + clean track = many happy hours on the layout..

BTW as a rum drinker (Bundy if you please), I can understand using Vodka to clean the tracks.. But please remember that this is an International forum and using Vodka might cause an International incident with some of our members.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2015 13:09:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There are different opinions about running in new locos, but I've always felt they work better when properly run in.

My preferred method is to run the loco at half speed for about 20 minutes in each direction, after which I lubricate lightly according to the instruction manual, followed by another running session of at least 10 minutes each way.

If at any point the loco starts screeching or making grinding noises it's best to stop and relubricate, but on the whole too little oil is better than too much.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline analogmike  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2015 23:47:53(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
hey ice3; drink the vodka, don't waste it on the rails! i prefer not to use cotton because it will leave bits of lint stuck in all the rail joints. after that they wind up in the lok gears. i like to cut a finger from a cheap leather work glove. i then slip it onto my index finger and dump a bit of pure rubbing alcohol (do not drink) onto the tip and go to work. the leather will hold allot of liquid without leaving behind lint and fibers. no smoking! mike

I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .