Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline swanpondwv  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2015 00:45:22(UTC)
swanpondwv

I have asked this question before. Perhaps someone can answer it this time.

Will the original Mobile Station work to control the MTH HO 3E+?

I'm pretty sure that the CS will work. And Ive heard that the MS2 might work.

But has anyone been successful using a MS1?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Bill
Offline Nielsenr  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2015 06:31:54(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Bill,

It is my understanding the MTH HO 3E+ locos will run under Marklin fx protocol. I have a umber of these locos but I run them in DCC with long addressing using a CS2. I have a pretty busy day tomorrow but if I can find some time, I can try running one that way. If you have one of these locos or plan to get one, just make sure the DCS/DCC switch is set to DCC.

Robert
Offline swanpondwv  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2015 18:29:25(UTC)
swanpondwv

Thank you, Nelsonr.

I would appreciate your trying this for me.

I have considered one of the loc's since they came out.

Bill
Bill
Offline GDJTrain65  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2015 19:04:33(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   
Yes , it is possible. I can run MTH loco with MS1 and , in fact, Control Unit 6021. Both are connected to my CS60215, but there should not be any difference if they work on their own. Dont know about all the functions using CU6021, have not tried .
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2015 19:26:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: GDJTrain65 Go to Quoted Post
I get access to 12 functions with both controllers
You can get access to 16 functions - just add symbols for F13 through F15.
You get all 29 functions with any controller that has the complete DCC functionality (IntelliBox with version 2.0 or higher, ECoS with recent software, ...).

This thread is about the Mobile Station 60651/2. Those should work, but probably with 5 functions only.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline GDJTrain65  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2015 19:33:40(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
You get all 29 functions with any controller that has the complete DCC functionality (IntelliBox with version 2.0 or higher, ECoS with recent software, ...).

This thread is about the Mobile Station 60651/2. Those should work, but probably with 5 functions only.

Thanks, Tom.
Yes, I noticed, so I edit my post. My mistake. I have tried with both MS1 and CU6021 now. Both worked.
Anyway, thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2015 20:08:05(UTC)
H0

Yes , it is possible. I can run MTH loco with MS1 and , in fact, Control Unit 6021. Both are connected to my CS60215, but there should not be any difference if they work on their own.
That makes a big difference.
The 6021 can control DCC locos when connected to an Intellibox or a "reloaded" CS 60212 - but not on its own.
The MS1 can control DCC locos when connected to an Intellibox or a "reloaded" CS 60212 - but not on its own.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline swanpondwv  
#8 Posted : 08 February 2015 01:21:03(UTC)
swanpondwv

Thanks to all for your replies.

Can you tell me what an intelli box is?

Bill
Bill
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 08 February 2015 07:49:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: swanpondwv Go to Quoted Post
Can you tell me what an intelli box is?
The Intellibox is a (somewhat outdated) controller by Uhlenbrock - it's a bit like a "deluxe" version of Märklin's Control Unit 6021.

Sorry, I don't have any MTH locos (yet).

The point was: an old controller connected to a new controller often can do things it cannot do when used standalone.

While MTH locos should work with an MS1, controlling them with an MS1 connected to a CS2 only proves that a CS2 can operate MTH locos, but allows no conclusions about the ability of an MS1 to control MTH locos on its own.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline swanpondwv  
#10 Posted : 08 February 2015 17:06:10(UTC)
swanpondwv

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

I have tried with both MS1 and CU6021 now. Both worked.

GDJTrains65, I just wanted to confirm that you have used a MS1, with out it being hooked to any other controller, to run a MTH 3E+ loc.

Thank you for taking your time to try this.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I have wondered about this for a long while.

Bill
Bill
Offline GDJTrain65  
#11 Posted : 08 February 2015 21:28:08(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   

GDJTrains65, I just wanted to confirm that you have used a MS1, with out it being hooked to any other controller, to run a MTH 3E+ loc.

Thank you for taking your time to try this.

Hi Bill

Yes and no. When using my MS1 on its own, not connected to CS, MTH at least runs very well but I can not reach any functions except the headlight. Cant even turn off the smoke generator. But, as I said, it runs properly and the headlight can be switched on/off, so...I dont know if that will do for you. As Tom stated, these old controllers are somehow invalid when they are left alone running DCC locos.
Anyway, except this disappointment blues, I can highly recommend MTH loco. Right now I am looking for some big box- or hopper cars/waggons for my MTH. I bought a set of three american tank cars but they look silly behind this giant of the rail, so they will do service with a smaller engine.

No problem. I was a little bit curious myself to see how it worked out, to tell the truth.

Offline Nielsenr  
#12 Posted : 09 February 2015 06:20:07(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I tried one of my MTH locos as a Marklin Fx loco but it did not respond. I am assuming that is because I have CV29 set for long DCC addressing. I have a couple of other MTH locos on order that are suppose to be delivered this month. If they really get delivered this month, I will try them before setting a long DCC address. MTH is not know for meeting their delivery dates however.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
H0
Offline swanpondwv  
#13 Posted : 10 February 2015 03:20:06(UTC)
swanpondwv

Thank you Robert! I look forward to your report.

Bill
Bill