Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline foumaro  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2015 08:37:31(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Very bad news for me,the decoder of the Super Chief after seven mounths and about 30 minutes of working hour is dead.I am running the locomotive twice a mounth to my layout without the wagons just to be sure that the motors do not be stuck.The last time after two minutes of running in low speed the decoder dies.I am sure that is the decoder because i remove the decoder from the 37629 F7 and install it in the Super Chief and the locomotive is working perfect with this.I wrote an email to marklin service department about 20 days ago and i got no answer.At least unacceptable for a train with this price tag.I will wait and see how is gonna marklin resolve the problem and i will let you know.ThumbDown

Edited by user 05 March 2015 04:41:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline biedmatt  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2015 12:14:12(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Someone else here lost a decoder for the Super Chief too, but it was not a factory failure. They accidentally closed the coupler power to center rail and fried the decoder. I do not recall if they were able to aquire another.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2015 15:42:06(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Dear Foumaro,
Oh no, I am very sorry to learn this. I hope M* will settle this.

Dear Biedmatt,
Do you refer to this case?
https://www.marklin-user...er-chief.aspx#post462515
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2015 17:05:08(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Send loco only back to dealer or Marklin with warranty card.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2015 17:40:06(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi Ak,
That was the one I was thinking of.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline foumaro  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2015 18:12:29(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

I am waiting for an answer from marklin's service department to tell me what to do with the locomotive.
Offline foumaro  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2015 18:15:29(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Dear Foumaro,

Me too.
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2015 18:17:27(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Dear Foumaro,

Me too.Angry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2015 19:11:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post

I am waiting for an answer from marklin's service department to tell me what to do with the locomotive.

I don't think you will hear anything. Your contract for warranty is with your dealer, and they will expect you to take it back there in the first instance.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2015 21:08:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Foumaro,

you said you had sent an email to service(at)maerklin.de for instructions on what to do about your loco. Did you get an acknowledgement that your email was received?
In most cases, they will reply and ask you to send it to them or to your dealer or your national authorized service centre.

What you will need to do is as follows:

Package the locomotive, when possible, in it's original box
You will need to include proof of purchase, which could be either a copy of the sales invoice or the stamped warranty card.
Many dealers no longer stamp the warranty card, so the sales slip will be the only official invoice.
I normally attach a copy of the invoice, so that the original remains in my possession at all times.

I do not know if this is an official site or Maerklin's authorized distributor for Greece, but I found this website: http://www.marklin.gr

If you send the loco back for repairs, send it to this address:

Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH
Reparaturservice
Stuttgarter Str. 55-57
D-73033 Göppingen
Germany

Tel. : 0049 (0) 7161 608222
Fax.: 0049 (0) 7161 608 225
Email: service(at)maerklin.de

Inside the box, enclose a letter describing the problem in as much detail as possible and provide your return address and contact information (email/phone).
Make sure that you send the package using a trackable and insured service. You will have to pay for the shipment to Germany. For warranty repairs, Maerklin usually sends the item back no charge.
If they determine that the problem was not related to a warranty issue, expect to receive a bill for repairs and for return shipping.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Mark_1602  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2015 21:15:26(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

Hi,

I would just put it into a parcel and send it directly to Märklin's Repair Service, but you definitely need to include a copy of the receipt that proves you bought it from a listed Märklin dealer!!!! You don't need to wait for them to give you the green light, but in your parcel there should be a short letter in which you explain what the problem is and give them your return address.

I've done this before, and they have fixed the defects, though I must admit that there was one Nohab that I had to send to them twice because they hadn't repaired it properly. The second attempt was successful! You'll just get a new decoder, and Märklin will send the F7 back to you, all free of charge. In fact, I've had one more warranty case recently. At the beginning of this month, I received the three locomotives that I had ordered in 2014 (37419, 37942, and 39671), but when I tested them on an oval, I noticed that the decoder of the 37942 didn't respond to commands such as 'switch off sound' immediately. The second time I tested that locomotive, it only worked in analogue mode. I couldn't get it registered on my MS2, but all the other digital locomotives I took out of the cupboard worked without any problems, so the MS2 is not the origin of the problem. I simply packed my 37942 and sent it to Göppingen without asking Märklin first. It's their problem now.

Obviously you can also give it back to your dealer if you didn't buy it online, but in any case it must be repaired for free. You just need to pay for the parcel to Göppingen in case you decide to send it directly to them.

Good luck!
Mark

P.S. /Edit: The warranty is only valid if you're the first buyer, and a copy of the invoice or receipt showing that you have paid the full value added tax rate proves that. Without this, Märklin would charge you for repairing your F7.
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline grnwtrs  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2015 21:25:59(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Very bad news for me,the decoder of the Super Chief after seven mounths and about 30 minutes of working hour is dead.I am running the locomotive twice a mounth to my layout without the wagons just to be sure that the motors do not be stuck.The last time after two minutes of running in low speed the decoder dies.I am sure that is the decoder because i remove the decoder from the 37629 F7 and install it in the Super Chief and the locomotive is working perfect with this.I wrote an email to marklin service department about 20 days ago and i got no answer.At least unacceptable for a train with this price tag.I will wait and see how is gonna marklin resolve the problem and i will let you know.ThumbDown

I"m in shock!!! I also have the F-7 Super chief, and also the 37629 (U. P. ABB) and have yet to run
either one.

Boy o Boy that is depressing news to hear.

Good thing you have such a nice "Board of Friends" to help out
with the problem.

Only thing I can do is cross fingers on both hands,
and wish for good results. I am sure they will happlen!!

Regards,
gene
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline biedmatt  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2015 22:15:38(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Is Marklin's warranty to the original buyer or for five years? I ask because many here say you need a receipt. I sent back the brown Kroc in set 31859 for a bad motor and it was repaired under warranty. I bought the set second hand on eBay, but returned it within five years of their first production, without a receipt. The Super Chief is a new item. Even if it was the very first unit sold and shipped, it is still within the five year warranty period. This only becomes dicey when it has been in production for several years or you bought a new old stock (NOS) item that has been sitting on a dealer's shelf for years. In both of these situations, a receipt would be a smart decision.
Matt
Era 3
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 03 February 2015 22:37:04(UTC)
H0

Two years warranty for Märklin items (like 26496), five years for MHI items.
Normally they need a copy of the invoice or a warranty card filled by the dealer.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jlopez  
#15 Posted : 03 February 2015 23:10:25(UTC)
jlopez

United States   
I was the guy that this happened to. I went to uncouple the couches without even thinking, i used a metal uncoupler and it accidently made contact with the the "third rail" and and the couplers. Poof a spark and then the decoder stopped working. I admitted my guilt and stupidity and Reynauld's took it back and exchanged it for a new one without question. Great customer service. Unfortunately the new one runs great but for some reasons the decoder function does not work for the passenger car lights. I checked the lights on the couches by hooking it up to a Rheingold couch with the pick up shoe and they work fine. Bottom line I think I am just going to put a pick up shoe on the baggage car and run the passenger car lights off that. (of course putting a non conducting coupler between the loco and engines) ;)
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jlopez
Offline biedmatt  
#16 Posted : 04 February 2015 00:29:59(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Thanks Tom. I couldn't remember if it was two or five.

When I returned the Krok, I fully expected to get a bill. Then they said it was covered by warranty. At first I was surprised, then I realized it was not that old and they know full well when they made it.
Matt
Era 3
Offline foumaro  
#17 Posted : 04 February 2015 04:00:08(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I saw to marklin's data base that the decoder of the locomotive part number 234799 is with red light,that means that is not available.I have to wait to see the decoder with green light to send them the locomotive or i am sending the locomotive now and i am waiting for them to solve the problem?
Offline foumaro  
#18 Posted : 04 February 2015 04:09:45(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I do not know if this is an official site or Maerklin's authorized distributor for Greece, but I found this website: http://www.marklin.gr

I know this guy,he is my friend but i do not bought the locomotive from him so i believe that is not polite to ask him now to solve the problem.

Edited by user 04 February 2015 08:41:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline NZMarklinist  
#19 Posted : 04 February 2015 04:39:21(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hello Payanotis,

Sorry to read about your problem with your Super Chief.

Marklin never show the MFX Decoders as available because they will not sell them as a spare part, but they allways have them as well as the original configuration to load onto them. So if you did send your Loco to Marklin for repair they would have the decoder.

I think a little while ago, Big Daddy with help from his German Dealer got a new decoder sent to him to replace a faulty one in a set, a VT11.5 (601) (37607?) IIRC. You may like to talk to your dealer, whom you purchased it from, and see if he will do that for you, which will save the cost of sending the Set back. It will depend a lot on the dealer, and how much "pull" he has with Marklin I would think.

Maybe BIGDADDY will read this and tell you his experience, and how he did it !?
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline foumaro  
#20 Posted : 04 February 2015 08:39:36(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Hello Payanotis,

Sorry to read about your problem with your Super Chief.

Marklin never show the MFX Decoders as available because they will not sell them as a spare part, but they allways have them as well as the original configuration to load onto them. So if you did send your Loco to Marklin for repair they would have the decoder.

I think a little while ago, Big Daddy with help from his German Dealer got a new decoder sent to him to replace a faulty one in a set, a VT11.5 (601) (37607?) IIRC. You may like to talk to your dealer, whom you purchased it from, and see if he will do that for you, which will save the cost of sending the Set back. It will depend a lot on the dealer, and how much "pull" he has with Marklin I would think.

Maybe BIGDADDY will read this and tell you his experience, and how he did it !?

Thank you for your help.I wrote a letter to the seller i bought the set via ebay.de,he is a big seller and i am waiting his answer about my problem too.Let's wait and see how is this problem find sollution.But anyway the way of sollution of the problem will be specify for the future for what i am buying and from whom.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline foumaro  
#21 Posted : 04 February 2015 11:35:38(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I had the better progress for my problem,the very proffesional seller accepted to send him only the decoder and after an examination of it,he will send me a new one.He understand that sending all the box with loco will cost a lot and maybe i had a damage to this great locomotive.Very proffesional behaviour.I will inform you all about the result,i want to thank all of you and especially Glen from Aucland for your great help and support.
For another time this forum is a treasure for me.ThumpUp
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline foumaro  
#22 Posted : 04 March 2015 19:32:00(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I recieved the new decoder and the Super Chief running perfect again.I want to thank Kieskemper,the seller and marklin service department for the perfect sollution of my problem.BigGrin LOL Love ThumpUp
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline steventrain  
#23 Posted : 04 March 2015 21:10:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
That's very good.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Mazinger  
#24 Posted : 10 October 2020 00:49:07(UTC)
Mazinger

United States   

I know this is a very old thread. This is my first post. Let me know if I should post elsewhere.

just got this brand new (still in shrink wrap) three days ago (from a collection). It has been running fine until suddenly 1 of the two motors seized up (the one in Super Chief, but would move slowly on intermittently if given a slight finger push (did it when it is upside down); the one in last tender still works. Then later all lighting functions for both the loco and the passenger stop responding. Finally, the second motor stop responding. But all sound functions still works.

Do you think the decoder is the source of motor problem too? How do I get a new decoder preprogammed with all the Super Chief function?

Wonder if other owners found similar problems and how do you fix it.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mazinger
Offline foumaro  
#25 Posted : 10 October 2020 04:29:16(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
This problem is very common for this kind of motors,you have to clean the motor carefully,i would change the motor brushes too.The brushes alter from humidity and create problems,to much oil is causing this problem too,it is possible when you are cleaning the motor you will find black dust mixed with motor oil.If the decoder have problem it is impossible to find the same after so many years.You can buy a marklin 60976 and upload the sounds of F7.
If you do not have the skills to do all these,it is not wise to make experiments with this perfect set,send only the locomotive to someone who knows what to do.You got a perfect train.ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline dickinsonj  
#26 Posted : 11 October 2020 20:09:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have a Super Chief and a Montreal Limited, both of which have had some intermittent running issues. Mine were also NOS still in the shrink wrap, which can sometimes lead to problems with these motors. Foumaro has already provided good advice about the basics of working through this problem, which is common for these motors, which BTW are called DCMs (Disc Commutator Motor). It is really important to apply oil sparingly on a DCM to help avoid a dirty mess in the brush/commutator area.

The motors in these sets are wired in series, so if one motor does not work properly while the other one still does, the problem is probably not the decoder. There could be a wiring problem, but in my experience the problem is more likely to be in the motors themselves.

After many hours of trying to figure out this problem I gave up and installed new 5-pole motor kits in both DCMs, in both train sets. That gives you a new rotor, permanent magnet, brushes and brush plate - essentially a new motor for not a lot of money. I have not had this problem since putting in the new motor parts, so I am hoping that it is now fixed.

On examining a brush plate which I removed from one of the motors I found the copper part to be bent, which caused one brush channel to not be properly aligned with the rotor. Märklin's quality control was not the best when these sets were made and I assume that is why there can be problems with them. I also have a California Zephyr set which is over 20 years old and which has never done this, so I don't think that it is a basic design problem. Some people also think that Märklin produced defective brushes for a while, which can lead to excess dirt inside the motors, so I would at least replace the brushes if cleaning does not fix this.

Good luck! These are beautiful train sets and well worth a bit of tinkering to get them to work properly. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline JohnjeanB  
#27 Posted : 11 October 2020 21:24:41(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
The motors in these sets are wired in series

Hi
I believe a good part of the problems are coming from this series arrangement. Märklin did this this for a few years but not anymore.
There is no real regulation, the motors may start pumping against each other. A really stupid idea. Now all Märklin recent 2 motors units are using the parallel wiring of the motors. It imposes the same speed on both motors and regulation applies to both of them.
Cheers
Jean

Offline dickinsonj  
#28 Posted : 12 October 2020 00:38:28(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Now all Märklin recent 2 motors units are using the parallel wiring of the motors. It imposes the same speed on both motors and regulation applies to both of them.
Cheers
Jean

That is interesting and something that I was not aware of Jean. It certainly makes sense that the series wiring might be a problem with load regulation. My 26496 is also the only two DCM loco set that does not have chokes on the motors and I have wondered why they were not installed at the factory.

If I continue to have problems with these series wired, two motor loco sets in the future I will have to consider re-wiring the motors in parallel. Two years ago I installed an mSD/3 in my 26600 and luckily I have not had any problems with it.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline foumaro  
#29 Posted : 12 October 2020 09:05:55(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have seven units with this kind of combo,they are 37629,37618,37624,26496,26600 and 3662,3462 converted with marklin 60941 motors and 60946 decoders.They are working perfect,twice i had to clean the motors as i described above,once with 26496 and once with 37629.My fault cause the problem,i oiled them to much.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro