Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2015 16:05:27(UTC)
db ice3

what is marklin Hamo and marklin Hag?

i keep seeing these and dont know the meaning...

sorry to ask such a stupid question!
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2015 16:19:29(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hamo is the older version of Marklin's DC offering. It was either incorporated into or renamed TRIX. Someone else may have the exact details.

I don't believe HAG has any relationship with Marklin. It is the Swiss model train manufacturer.

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2015 16:34:05(UTC)
H0

Some dealers write "Roco for Märklin" or "HAG for Märklin" and such - it simply means "three-rail model".

HAMO was a company that was bought by Märklin. For a while HAMO was the name for Märklin's two-rail H0 models. Then they bought Trix and now Trix is the name for Märklin's two-rail H0 models and the N gauge models.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline db ice3  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2015 19:52:18(UTC)
db ice3

ah ha ...

its just that i see items like this sometimes :-

this

it says marklin hamo, but 3 rail digital

i also see locos like this but the ad will say fitted with marklin decoder.

sorry if this seems stupid thing to ask, but im still learning about marklin ...
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2015 20:23:32(UTC)
Webmaster

That particular one is *not* a 3-rail loco, but a 2-rail digital version... A "HAMO" loco for "Zweileiter betrieb" - Zweileiter means 2-rail... Ein, Zwei, Drei (1 2 3 in German)...

Maybe the seller is just shifting stock without knowing the difference between 2- & 3-rail and assumes "Märklin" means 3-rail...

What makes me think like this? Well - if you look closely at the pic, do you see a "3-rail" pickup shoe between the wheels? No...
So leave this one alone if you are doing it the 3-rail Märklin way, this is a "HAMO" for 2-rail DCC ...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2015 20:27:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post
ah ha ...

its just that i see items like this sometimes :-

this

it says marklin hamo, but 3 rail digital

i also see locos like this but the ad will say fitted with marklin decoder.

sorry if this seems stupid thing to ask, but im still learning about marklin ...

The seller has incorrectly labelled it as 3 rail digital. It is actually 2 rail digital.

If you look under the wheels you see no sign of the slider pickup for the 3rd rail/contact studs. Also the 2 rail offerings from Marklin were numbered in the 38xx range, which is consistent with this being a two rail loco.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2015 20:42:30(UTC)
Webmaster

However, I have sometimes seen "HAMO" 2-rail loks that have been converted "back" to 3-rail operation on ebay, but you have to look closely at the pics to make sure that is a fact. Even better yet - ask the seller up front for information & pics of the bottom of the loco in question...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2015 20:46:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It show Hamo digital 2-rail - It work only with 6027 central unit=.

It do not work with Marklin digital 3-rail and other DCC.

Next time - Remember always 'Ask Seller a question' about the item if you are not sure.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2015 10:31:23(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The history of HAMO is actually a little more complicated...

http://www.historytoy.com/company-story-firm-chronicle-description-corporate-history-profile-Hamo

A "Märklin-hag" would be a wife who is into trains, and probably nagging you about missing rivets on the models...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2015 11:06:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
It show Hamo digital 2-rail - It work only with 6027 central unit=.

It do not work with Marklin digital 3-rail and other DCC.
AFAIK if it works with 6027 then it should also work with CS2, MS2, CS1 reloaded, ECoS, IntelliBox or any other NMRA DCC controller.

It will not work with 6020, 6021, or original 60212.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2015 11:09:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks Henrik,

It's worthwhile being reminded that for a while in the 1960s there were AC models from Marklin bearing the Hamo name. In fact a couple of years ago I saw one on ebay, I believe it was one of the NOHABs. It was definately an AC model in a box labelled Hamo and it might have been the 3063 CFL version.

Ray
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline db ice3  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2015 14:00:59(UTC)
db ice3

so before buying, i WILL ask the seller always that its marklin 3 rail ac digital!

theres a lot more to all this than meets the newcomers eye - but thanks to everyone s help here im learning fast!

what a great group this is - a complete encyclopedia of information!

thanks everyone and apologies for the many more questions that i have coming!
( and yes, i will use the search function - but sometimes the answer im looking for does not appear! )
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by db ice3
Offline analogmike  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2015 14:47:31(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
in my collection i have the old "e18" lok, marklin ac in the hamo box. i often wondered why it was in the wrong box. i don't have the box number off hand. the artwork on the box shows green livery but the lok is blue. i'm wondering now if the green ones were the marklin-marklin and the blue ones were the hamo-box-marklin-ac versions and how does it affect the value of the model?? mike
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 03 February 2015 18:59:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
in my collection i have the old "e18" lok, marklin ac in the hamo box. i often wondered why it was in the wrong box. i don't have the box number off hand. the artwork on the box shows green livery but the lok is blue. i'm wondering now if the green ones were the marklin-marklin and the blue ones were the hamo-box-marklin-ac versions and how does it affect the value of the model?? mike

Hi Mike,

the numbers of these locos are 3023 (blue) and 3024 (green). The 1965 catalogue shows them as being made by Hamo.

In the main Marklin range the green 3024 appears in 1958 and both green and blue appear in the 1959 catalogue. By 1960 they had both disappeared again from the Marklin range. Before 1958 this loco was known as the MS800
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline analogmike  
#15 Posted : 03 February 2015 21:31:59(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
thanks for the info ray. i see them on e-bay and they seem to be holding good value. the motor and geartrain is so smooth. i just wish it held the track better. it seems to be very top-heavy. mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline PJMärklin  
#16 Posted : 04 February 2015 10:54:25(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Hello Mike and Ray,

Thank you for raising these points, I have long been pondering about HAMO / Märklin, particularly in regard to my old blue E18.

About 30 years ago a dear friend (who has long since gone to the big layout in the sky) sold me a number of old Märklin locos, including an E18 and an E44
As Mike has noted with his, my E18 is blue and is a 3023.
I have since renewed the pantographs (but kept the originals) and changed the loco to digital.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I also have an image of the actual prototype E1835, made 1952 :

UserPostedImage

It came, like Mike’s, in box marked HAMO but the box features a green E18.

UserPostedImage

The end of the box number has a sticker featuring the number 3024(green version) but you can make out under this the number 3023(blue version) on the original box.

UserPostedImage

The instruction leaflet (which to my great distress has been chewed by my dog) notes HAMO of Nuremberg and shows it is clearly AC with slider pickup.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

As Ray says, the green E18 first appeared in the Märklin cattledog in 1958 :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The blue E18 appeared the following year in 1959

UserPostedImage

But, as Ray says, these E18’s were gone from the cattledog by 1960.

I also have an old E44 that the same friend sold me. No box, no paperwork. Nowhere is it marked Märklin, nor HAMO. From the best I can make out from my Koll’s, this could be 3011.6, made 1966 & 1967. From Koll’s it would seem 3011.5 & 3011.6 were in fact made by HAMO.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The E44 last appears in my early Märklin cattledogs in 1961/62.

UserPostedImage

A very interesting note-in-box appears on page 10 of my 1964/65 cattledog, saying that if you want an E44 to run on AC, then get one from HAMO in Nuremberg !

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Indeed there is no E44 featured in my 1966/7 cattledog.

UserPostedImage

Thus I wonder what relationship Märklin and HAMO (of Nuremberg) had at that time.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline analogmike  
#17 Posted : 04 February 2015 14:02:10(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
great pics. does your "18" fly off the rails every chance it gets? i tried running it after removing the pilot wheels. problem solved. now it can go through 5100 crossovers at TGV speeds but it looks real goofy. i may try to mount the wheels differently. projects,projects,projects.
Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 05 February 2015 01:39:10(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
great pics. does your "18" fly off the rails every chance it gets? i tried running it after removing the pilot wheels. problem solved. now it can go through 5100 crossovers at TGV speeds but it looks real goofy. i may try to mount the wheels differently. projects,projects,projects.

Hi Mike,

The E18 is certainly a heavy flyer but seems to stay on the K track.
It is rather tall in proportion and I had to make allowance for this in my tunnel overhead wire height.

Regards,

PJ