Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline yorckmf  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2015 18:26:37(UTC)
yorckmf

United States   
Hi,
Can someone please help me understand the difference between the 5145 (contact?track) and the 5146 (circuit?track)? I also have some contact(?) tracks that have only one plug. What are those?
Trying to understand to what uses these different tracks would be put. Thanks
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2015 19:02:24(UTC)
Webmaster

The 5145 detects a short between the rails (wheels short the rails and they are shorted as long as as there are locs/wagons passing by on the section of track).
This is non-directional, a train can pass either way and the same result is achieved. Mostly use for track occupancy detection, but also in analog to control crossings,
lights that should be on when a train passes and such "longer time" stuff.

The 5146 detects a slider on track and gives a momentary contact as long as the slider passes.
This is directional, depending on the train travel direction (has 2 outputs) and is mostly used if you wish to trigger signals and turnouts when a loco passes.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Br502362  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2015 19:09:00(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

5145 is for 7192 automatic guarded grade crossing and 5146 is ment to operate signals or other electrical equipment automatically.

Use is described in Märklin signal manual for M-tracks. You can find one with google easily. Märklin item numbers 0340, 0341 or 0345.

I hope that this helps you.

Cheers

Åke
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2015 18:04:59(UTC)
Webmaster

The 0340 Signal Manual (from marklin.com)

File Attachment(s):
SignalManual.pdf (1,568kb) downloaded 202 time(s).
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline yorckmf  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2015 19:48:52(UTC)
yorckmf

United States   
Thank you all for your input. I have the signal manual - which I have found quite helpful - but it does not distinguish between the two types (5145 and 5146) of control/circuit tracks. Your explanations makes perfect sense.

Another question: Is it possible to use the universal remote switch control 7245 to simply relay the current from the contact track to a switch without an intervening signal? I know using signals is more realistic, but they are somewhat expensive, and it seems that this might work as an interum solution.

Also, any ideas on the track sections I have that appear to be contact tracks (they have a split in the rail) but have only a single plug? Would they be 5145s, or some variation thereof?
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2015 19:57:40(UTC)
Webmaster

You can actually see the 7245 as a "lightless signal", since a signal the traditional way is just a relay with added lights (and some mechanism if it has moving arms).
5146 is what you want to control signals, turnouts & relays since it gives a momentary pulse and is not "always on while train passes" as with the 5145 type of track.
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2015 21:10:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The problem with the 5146 is that the slider is not in the front on all trains so they will not stop in the same place.

Also that swinging bit in the middle of the track does not work reliably. Sometimes it sticks and sometimes the contacts underneath do not provide a good circuit.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup