Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nitramretep  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2015 23:35:06(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I'm sorry if this either an old or dumb question but I have a Marklin K Bay Sts 37181 that I would like to add MFX features to. I understand it involves removing the existing digital module. Has anyone done this or is it possible? I would aso like to add lights (driving and cab) anyone out there with a great solution??
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2015 23:51:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
I'm sorry if this either an old or dumb question but I have a Marklin K Bay Sts 37181 that I would like to add MFX features to. I understand it involves removing the existing digital module. Has anyone done this or is it possible? I would aso like to add lights (driving and cab) anyone out there with a great solution??

Not a dumb question at all.

I believe you will need to change the motor as well, this consists of exchanging the 3 pole rotor and coil magnet for a 5 pole rotor and permanent magnet. marklin have these as a kit and it is just a case of selecting the correct kit for your loco. I don't have the part numbers of the kits handy, but there will be someone here who does have them.

Then you need to exchange the decoder. Do you want one with sound? If so this may be a bit awkward, or there may already be a place to put a speaker, probably in the tender (this may be where the existing decoder is anyway). You can have a choice of a Marklin sound decoder or an ESU M4 decoder, which will also handle the mfx protocol. You can get these already programmed for the loco you have.

Offline foumaro  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2015 03:27:16(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I think 37181 allready have 5-pole motor,a new msd decoder for steam locomotives is enough to have sounds and lights.
Offline amartinezv  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2015 05:35:00(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I think 37181 allready have 5-pole motor,a new msd decoder for steam locomotives is enough to have sounds and lights.

Yes it is
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2015 12:22:19(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

Yes, 37181 has a 5-pole DCM motor and 6090 type decoder with two adjustable potentiometers (one for setting max speed and one for acceleration/braking delay). The decoder is located under the loco body, not in the tender. I have both 33181 and 37181. I will get soon 37187-01 which is almost similar K.Bay.Sts.B. S 3/6 locomotive, but with different running number. 37187 has mfx decoder from the factory, but no sounds. You can sometimes get 37187 for a very fair price. I mean if you want to keep your 37181 as original and buy 37187-01 from eBay or similar. I bought a second hand 37187-01 with only 97 euro.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.