Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline willowhaven  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2015 23:15:06(UTC)
willowhaven

United States   
I purchased used a BR 18 class 4/6/2 Model # 3518 locomotive with tender. It appears that it was converted to the 60942 decoder but it only runs in reverse when I test it.
I am using a 6021 control unit but I am not sure if that is correct. Please comment.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2015 23:36:00(UTC)
H0

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: willowhaven Go to Quoted Post
Please comment.
Not much information given.
The 6021 has arrows that indicate the direction. Do the arrows change when you try to reverse?
Is the loco going reverse no matter what the arrow shows? Or is it going in reverse with one arrow position and standing still with the other arrow position?
How are the DIP switches on the 6021 set? IIRC off-on-off-off is the default.

One thing is certain: to get a 60942 into a 3518 you have to solder a bit.
A 60942 should work with the 6021.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2015 14:06:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: willowhaven Go to Quoted Post
I purchased used a BR 18 class 4/6/2 Model # 3518 locomotive with tender. It appears that it was converted to the 60942 decoder but it only runs in reverse when I test it.
I am using a 6021 control unit but I am not sure if that is correct. Please comment.

Does it still have its original armature? I don't know off hand how to tell, but the armature originally fitted to the 35xx locos is not suitable for use with a decoder as it is too low resistance AIUI. It could be that the drive transistors in the decoder have been fried due to the wrong armature being left in.

I don't have any experience with dealing with these armatures, so someone with experience better chip in and help identify it.

Offline waorb  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2015 16:36:51(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hello Willow.

Recently I bought the same model, and with the same behavior, but... my lok seems to be original with the electronic circuit for analog locomotives.

The fact that it only runs in reverse it's because my layout is fully digital and I don't have a transformer to 'click' the inverse direction (like all analog loks), and don't want to short circuit it to invert.

Soon I'll receive the proper decoder to digitalize the lok.

Do you have a photo of yours? Could help us to discuss...

Cheers,

Walter