Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ice 1  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2015 20:20:31(UTC)
ice 1

HI
I finally got my Marklin M83 Decoder Box in the post today and my 4 point motors.
But the M83 comes with no red and brown wire for bringing power from the track to the box so its basically useless to me after paying €30 for it.
It shows how miserable Marklin are thats for sure and the stupid german dealer i bought it from should have told me there was no cable with it who i would love to name here.
I pluged in 66361 into the box but no lights came on or anything i must say very poor instructions as per usual with marklin
Any ideas on what i need to get for it to operate
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2015 21:04:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The red/brown wire is not included in the m83 decoder but you can bring your own wire.

Connect wire to track and light show up on m83.

I do have old k83 decoders but not have m83 decoder but Forum member Clapcott can help you.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2015 21:30:19(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
There has been a lot of water under the bridge on this - with more to come. If you are interested refer m83/60831 m84/60841 60821 60822 light reading

Originally Posted by: ice 1 Go to Quoted Post
Any ideas on what i need to get for it to operate

- As Steven indicates, run a pair of wires from the Red/Brown terminal of your controller (or tap into the track) to the Red/Brown terminals of the m83
- check the DIP switches, but by default from the factory they should be all off meaning your points will be address 1-4 (MM mode).

Note: the external power supply 66361/5 is purely optional (In fact if you read the manual , you should not currently be using it at all :-( )

Personally I don't like these articles, but if you want more waffle , try ...
MM articles
Peter
Offline ice 1  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2015 21:43:12(UTC)
ice 1

Okay so as the M83 comes out of the box its set at ADDRESS 1 TO 4
Ive taken the wires of my mobile station 1 trackbox yes they are short but im sure will work just to see it operate
There must be a special tool to attach on them clips onto the red and brown wires for clipping them onto the track otherwise i dont have much point getting red and brown wire without that tool and the clips
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2015 21:48:08(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
.... my mobile station 1 trackbox ....

???? The MS1 cannot control accessories (points/signals) !!!!
Peter
Offline ice 1  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2015 22:01:27(UTC)
ice 1

i know i took the red and brown wire out of that track box that you plug the ms1 into and ive clipped the red and brown wires onto the track and have the other ends into my M83 yes very Short wires but im sure it will work as its long enough to bring power to the M83 box and all i want to do is see it work and everything is connected up just have to connect the point onto the other straight section that is connected to my new MS2
Offline ice 1  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2015 23:44:57(UTC)
ice 1

HI
I have my M83 box WIRED UP
The red light is flashing all the time on the red wire on the M83 box.
But got it working thank god
Will have to buy some long red and brown wire and the clips for connecting onto the track and get the tool for fixing them clips onto the wires
What i have noticed is that if you want a double track station setting with a point each end there is not enough wire given with each point motor for you to connect both points into your M83 box but im sure you can connect onto the point motor wires to extend them please let me know is this easy to do etc
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2015 08:23:08(UTC)
H0

Hi!
But the M83 comes with no red and brown wire for bringing power from the track to the box
You can buy that cable separately (#74040 - or buy a #74042 and cut it in the middle to get two cables).

Useful for MS2 users who want to use an m83 with C track. No use for K track or M track. People with CS1, CS2, CU 6021, or Intellibox probably won't take power from the track anyway.

Märklin could mention this cable in the product description, but IMHO it makes sense not to include it with the m83 because the majority of customers wouldn't use it anyway.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 28 January 2015 08:30:43(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Will have to buy some long red and brown wire and the clips for connecting onto the track and get the tool for fixing them clips onto the wires
The Märklin no. for the spade connectors is 74995. You can get the same size from e.g. Conrad, so other electronics stores might also have them.
I use a pair of small pliers to fix them to the cable, didn't bother to buy a special tool.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 28 January 2015 14:19:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
The Märklin no. for the spade connectors is 74995. You can get the same size from e.g. Conrad, so other electronics stores might also have them.
I use a pair of small pliers to fix them to the cable, didn't bother to buy a special tool.

I haven't checked Marklins price for the tool but crimp tools like those tend to be expensive. Carefully using pliers will do a good enough job, or buy one of the cables listed further up the thread will be a lot cheaper.
Offline ice 1  
#11 Posted : 28 January 2015 20:38:31(UTC)
ice 1

I would like to know is it easy to extend the 3 wires that come with the Marklin point motors as i would have to extend mine to reach my M83 Box.
What way are the wires joined and what type of wire do you use normally for this extension work as i take it that the different colour wire with the point motor is a different type blue blue yellow
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 28 January 2015 20:47:36(UTC)
H0

I would like to know is it easy to extend the 3 wires that come with the Marklin point motors
Three cables with blank ends (if we are talking about the famous 74491). For me it would be easy to extend them.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline PMPeter  
#13 Posted : 28 January 2015 21:00:15(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
It is easy to extend wires coming from your solenoid accessories, but depends on your skills and budget. If you know how to solder, then soldering the connections and adding heat shrink over the connection is probably the cheapest. However, if you don't have soldering skills you can go with the Maerklin, Brawa, Viessmann, etc. banana plugs and sockets, European style terminal blocks, or even the more expensive Wago type blocks.

It also depends on whether your layout is permanent or whether it is more of a carpet layout that you build and take apart numerous times. In that case the soldering approach would not be appropriate.

For my medium size permanent layout and numerous K83 decoders I pretty well count on having to extend at least 1 out of the 4 sets of wires coming to each K83, usually more. I do all of mine with solder and heat shrink. The longer the distance, the larger the wire gauge I use, but never smaller gauge wire than what comes out of the solenoid.

Cheers
Peter
Offline sjlauritsen  
#14 Posted : 28 January 2015 21:00:52(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
IMHO it makes sense not to include it with the m83 because the majority of customers wouldn't use it anyway.

True - ...and you would get all sorts of complaints about the cable being too long, too thick, too thin, or too short... Wink

I power my m83 from the track. I just use some of the distribution strips and drag the power from there. I would power it externally if I were to install it in a permanent layout.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline ice 1  
#15 Posted : 29 January 2015 10:57:46(UTC)
ice 1

hi
I might just solder the wires together when i going joining them up i suppose i better stick with getting the Marklin blue and yellow wires as im sure it will make it easier when im putting the wires into the M83 Box.
I might power my M83 from the track to start with but if i get a 2nd one i will power them both direct from a socket and link them together if possible