Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ice 1  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2015 20:39:28(UTC)
ice 1

Hello
I was running my Marklin Class 120 ref 37538 this evening with my new MS2 but i noticed that the volume for the Whistle Sound effect is set really low sounds like a seagull in the distance how do i adjust the volume of the whistle sound effect useing the MS2.Maybe it cant be adjusted but im sure it can as it sounds nothing like a Whistle or horn.
I was a bit disappointed with the C103 39579 as i thought it had a Horn Sound effect but it doesnt you cant beat operating sounds on a loco 39833 n 39832 are a bit miserable to with just a horn sound effect.
Online H0  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2015 22:05:41(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The loco has an ESU decoder, but without sound and there is nothing with respect to volume that can be adjusted with an MS2.
Maybe the volume can be adjusted with a soldering iron.
BTW: you can't blame the low volume on ESU.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline ice 1  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2015 22:18:42(UTC)
ice 1

Who do i blame for the low volume then
I saw a volume setting in the MS2 options but it didnt say volume of what setting.
Online H0  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2015 22:38:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ice 1 Go to Quoted Post
I saw a volume setting in the MS2 options but it didnt say volume of what setting.
That's the sound volume for sound decoders. No effect with this loco, no sound decoder.

Who do i blame for the low volume then
AFAIK the loco has a Märklin sound module (and IMHO not worth any effort to make it louder).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline ice 1  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2015 23:16:17(UTC)
ice 1

The Marklin loco 37538 must have a sound decoder when it makes the low volume horn sound a shame i cant turn up the volume by half
Offline NZMarklinist  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2015 03:07:56(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
The Marklin loco 37538 must have a sound decoder when it makes the low volume horn sound a shame i cant turn up the volume by half

Hi,

Well no actually !! Those early FX digital Loks, and even some more recent ELoks in particular that have an ESU FX/MFX decoder, with a few sounds like whistles etc are made by separate sound module, supplier unknown ??

However in those earlier FX type decoders, the volume, (and top speed) was usually adjustable by means of a dashpot/s on the decoder board.
Have a look at your instruction manual, if you have it, and it will explain this operation ! ThumpUp Turning the pot clockwise increases the volume
So at least take the body off your E120 and see if it has the small square pots on the decoder board Wink

I have just searched the Marklin Manual (handbook) list, and there is not one for 37528 Sad

That said, usually the MFX decoder varieties do have a controller adjustable sound volume. Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Online H0  
#7 Posted : 25 January 2015 08:51:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
However in those earlier FX type decoders, the volume, (and top speed) was usually adjustable by means of a dashpot/s on the decoder board.
No DIP switches, no potentiometers.
Programmable fx decoder: ACC and DEC can be adjusted separately, brightness of headlights can be adjusted (undocumented, of course), but sound volume cannot be adjusted.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ice 1  
#8 Posted : 25 January 2015 10:21:45(UTC)
ice 1

Ya its 37538 Class 120 its the E120 model it is quick around the layout real fast.
I could always get sound added again to the loco decoder a person i know does loco sound work he might be able to add more sound onto the decoder thats in the loco already seen its ESU or put in a new one with loco sounds and station announcements etc.
I will have to do something as that horn sound is just awful like something a 5 yr old would have on a toy loco.
Offline Shamu  
#9 Posted : 25 January 2015 10:29:48(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
A new sound decoder is the only way you will get anything better.

The so call sound unit in that loco much like the 37186 S3/6 (and all the others with 1 or 2 basic sounds from that period) is not much better than those recordable birthday cards. In fact they are probably better. It is a basic sound circuit triggered by a function output on the actual decoder.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline ice 1  
#10 Posted : 25 January 2015 10:42:51(UTC)
ice 1

Hi
What i might do is put a loco horn sound on my loco 37538 that sounds like a loco horn sound and i dont care if its not for a Class 120 if you know what i mean and if thats from a diesel loco so be it i want a good loud horn noise a proper loco sound to feel real for me as the horn noise on my ICE 2 Start set sounds awful to so i might do my DHL Taurus 39833 and 39832 to with a diesel Horn noise to in time also.
Its what suits me it will be my layout look on youtube at a Class 120 37539 and listen to the horn noise it sounds just awful.
One question i see this mentioned alot in relation to digital control where it says in a loco description acceleration and braking delay can be controlled digitally what does this mean in simple english i know its to do with stopping but where do you use it i just turn down the control know to slow n stop and press it down for direction changes whats the great thing about this acceleration and braking delay over that way
Online H0  
#11 Posted : 25 January 2015 10:56:00(UTC)
H0

My standard setting for ABV is 16s/12s.
Loco needs 16 seconds from standstill to fullspeed and 12 seconds from fullspeed to standstill.
With F4 on these delays will be off and loco accelerates or stops within one second.
You can always reverse the direction for an emergency brake.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline ice 1  
#12 Posted : 25 January 2015 11:09:23(UTC)
ice 1

So you hit F4 and the loco increases to whatever speed you have it set to it saves you having to manually turn the control knob etc
Im sure if i read my MS2 Manual it will explain how this is done but on a straight test track there is no need i suppose for it i will have to wait until my layout is down to use it.
But i really dont uderstand its benefit as when you come into a station the loco will have to stop and you have avoid other locos so its still manual control unless you put in shuttle routes is it a kind of launch control where the loco gets up to its top pre set speed itself at the press of a button