Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2015 21:29:33(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Lately I have a issue with my M track that is leaving me a bit perplexed. Several sections have gone dead for no apparent reason. Some of the track has been in operation for over 10 years and has been secured down with screws. To remedy this I have taken apart the track sections and reassembled back together with no visible corrosion on the middle connections. Of course they would be in awkward positions and I just might rename my layout Aching Back. Anyone else has have this problem and what causes this and of course a fix. Thanks - Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2015 21:38:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I had a particularly annoying dead section on the M track of my layout, and even though I swapped out track sections it would never go away. Of course, Murphy's law dictates that the bad section will be somewhere where you can't get to it easily (like under a bridge underpass, which is where mine was). After it driving me nuts for a few years, I squirted some electrical contact cleaner over the dead spot area, and I can report that that fixed the problem, and the fix has lasted for at least a year!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2015 22:57:54(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
This has happened before and after I cleaned my track. At least it seems that I have to give my track a good cleaning once a year.
Offline Br502362  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2015 11:07:39(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

It has occurred for me too but I solved it by applying a extra grounding wire to the dead section.

Now on my new layout I automatically solder a ground wire to each feeder track.

Cheers

Åke
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2015 14:43:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

It has occurred for me too but I solved it by applying a extra grounding wire to the dead section.

Now on my new layout I automatically solder a ground wire to each feeder track.

Cheers

Åke

The problem is probably the rail joiners between track sections. These are notorious for getting bent and not clamping onto the rail properly. If the track has been mated and disassembled a number of times these often get bent and contact failure results. A lot of the time it is not noticed because the other joiner between the two pieces of track carries the current (as per Merklins illustration that used to be in the M-track section of the catalogue) but eventually the second one also gives up, as they were not terribly strong bits of metal, they are fairly soft with little spring.

Offline SteamNut  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2015 14:45:51(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
It was not a ground issue as the positive (middle) was dead. However once I had a turnout not work and it was solved by adding a ground.