Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Haarlemmer  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2015 19:12:13(UTC)
Haarlemmer

Netherlands   
Hello,

I bought a Maerklin 43242 dining car from Ebay and I can't figure out if there is something wrong with the trucks.
The models you buy new in stores today have Gorlitz III light trucks but the one I have has smaller trucks mounted. I think they are Minden Deutz. What I would like to know is if Maerklin sold previous models with this kind of trucks or that someone has changed them. It's a red DSG Speisewagen WR4üg 39 and the carnumber is 1160.

Regards, Hans.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2015 21:12:56(UTC)
H0

Hi, Hans,

A prototype photo of a truck can be found here:
http://commons.wikimedia...tz_III_leicht_02_ies.jpg

The picture in Märklin's product database shows large trucks (with door steps mounted to the trucks). Several model pictures show smaller trucks with door steps mounted to the coach frame.

So the model obviously was shipped with different trucks than shown in the product database. Maybe your dining coach has the trucks it should have.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2015 06:02:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There seem to be photos of models with different types of bogies on ebay. Is this the ones you were expecting?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...ng-in-OVP-/191488331253?

The other ones look like this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...-DSG-1160-/231446191832?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
H0
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2015 07:56:14(UTC)
H0

The coach from the first eBay link seems to have Görlitz III heavy trucks (like the picture in the product database and on the box).

The coach from the second eBay link has different trucks, IMO neither Görlitz III light nor Görlitz III heavy.

They have different coach frames - the first has door steps mounted to the trucks, the second has door steps at the frame. I guess Märklin shipped both versions over time.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Haarlemmer  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2015 03:26:21(UTC)
Haarlemmer

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
There seem to be photos of models with different types of bogies on ebay. Is this the ones you were expecting?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...ng-in-OVP-/191488331253?

The other ones look like this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...-DSG-1160-/231446191832?

Regards

Mike C

Hello Mike,

the car that I bought is the same model as in the second link. I bought it to combine with four other cars and all of those have the trucks like in the first link, the bigger ones. So besides the car doesn't match I doubt if it has the correct set of trucks for Era III.

Regards,

Hans
Offline Haarlemmer  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2015 03:38:05(UTC)
Haarlemmer

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The coach from the first eBay link seems to have Görlitz III heavy trucks (like the picture in the product database and on the box).

The coach from the second eBay link has different trucks, IMO neither Görlitz III light nor Görlitz III heavy.

They have different coach frames - the first has door steps mounted to the trucks, the second has door steps at the frame. I guess Märklin shipped both versions over time.

Hi Tom,

it seems Märklin indeed did ship both versions of the car. I did some research on the internet and found that these cars had a makeover later in time where they changed the trucks to a model called Minden Deutz but that was after the period that is stated on the box, Era III. So I still am not sure if these are the correct trucks for this car. Maybe I wil look out for another car with the bigger trucks to match better with the other ones I own and put this one back on eBay.

Regards,

Hans
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2015 07:30:17(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Haarlemmer Go to Quoted Post
So I still am not sure if these are the correct trucks for this car.
So while the product database advertises "Görlitz III light", Märklin shipped the model with what seems to be "Görlitz III heavy" and "Minden-Deutz".
You cannot trust the picture in the product database ("hand-made sample"), you cannot trust the description in the product database.

I have no idea when this conversion was done with the prototype and whether these trucks are correct for era III (they were used for newly built coaches since the ’50s AFAIK).
Apart from that, I generally like to combine different types of trucks in one train.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage