Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dangermouse  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2015 00:51:35(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
I've just been reading about converting the 4100 type thunderboxes to NEM pockets and close coupler heads, and have ordered some of the Marklin 363950 pocket/arm mouldings to kit my two out with.

However, does anyone know if the standard Relex coupler part from the 4078s is the same length as that on the 4100s? Obviously if it is (and sticks out the same distance from the buffers of both coach types) I could use the same trick on a couple of 4078s to bulk out my Umbauwagen fleet. They're much cheaper and easier to find than the 4317/8/9.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2015 19:01:42(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Dangermouse Go to Quoted Post
I've just been reading about converting the 4100 type thunderboxes to NEM pockets and close coupler heads, and have ordered some of the Marklin 363950 pocket/arm mouldings to kit my two out with.

However, does anyone know if the standard Relex coupler part from the 4078s is the same length as that on the 4100s? Obviously if it is (and sticks out the same distance from the buffers of both coach types) I could use the same trick on a couple of 4078s to bulk out my Umbauwagen fleet. They're much cheaper and easier to find than the 4317/8/9.

Hi there!
That's **exactly** what I have done with mine using Symoba close coupler mechanisms. ( http://www.symoba-schniering.de/ )
I buy my stuff from Axel Schnug, friendly and dependable. ( http://www.schnug-modell...uf/Symoba-Roco/symro.htm )
All you have to do is pop out the original relex couplers (two metal lugs inside) and super glue the mechanism.
You should get the little height gauge (visible on the left of the picture)
There are several pocket lengths available.
I have **tons** of cars and coaches modified in this manner: way better than Marklin or Roco close coupling mechanisms, never bends, never misses coupling.ThumpUp
A dream come true!
That includes a whole fleet of older vehicles from US makers whose original "NMRA" style couplers were not worth a damnCursing ..and since there are plenty of NEM compatible Kadee couplers to fit in, my US style trains are all fitted with Kadee couplers tooCool
Hope this helps
jvuye attached the following image(s):
liteP1206688.jpg
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2015 20:56:47(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
By the way, if anyone is interested in the "recipe" on how to (simply!) perform the upgrade of these older coaches, let me know: I still have one or two to convert and I can take pictures of the various steps.
Cheers!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Dangermouse  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2015 00:15:01(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Yep, I looked at their site when I first started researching this topic. I need a couple of those to convert the Fleischmann restaurant car I bought a while ago, which also needs to lose a bit of height as it doesn't match my other stock. It's in the project box!

Looking again, it seems that the prices of these coaches are more in line with those of the later close coupled models at the moment. It is, however, worth bearing in mind if I see any cheap ones on ebay UK. That's how I came by the 4100 and 4101 anyway.
You can never have too many Silberlinge