Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stlcards54  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2015 06:29:43(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
Is there a nice clean way to join wires when installing a new decoder. I just installed a lokpilot. The wires are so thin, are there shrink wrap tubes for this small a wire? What do people normally use? I used electrical tape, not pretty.
I think I just blew the decoder so I'll be doing it again.Cursing
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2015 06:48:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I love those ESU decoders, but I intensely dislike the wires - they are too thin. I now solder new wires ( 22AWG from memory) on to the decoder and then solder the other ends to the various places on the loco. I only use shrink wrap tubing when there is a risk of contact with another metal surface.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2015 14:09:30(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I read your other thread and it sounds like it got hammered by the reverse voltage. Not unusual.

I really like the wire that comes with ESU's decoders and even buy the bulk spools of the stuff. It is small and un-obtrusive. Less likely to get pinched or cause reassemble clearance issues like Marklin's larger wire. I have found that I get my best results by starting at the ends opposite the decoder. I work back toward the decoder adding a new conductor as I come to it and include it into a harness I make from small loops of shrink tubing. For soldering at the decoder, I use a soldering station with a very small tip and a stereoscopic, lighted and magnifying visor so I can see what I am doing. I tin the ends of the wire first so I will not need as much heat at the decoder solder pad. This also causes the insulation to shrink at the stripped end and presents to you the amount of exposed wire you will have once you start to solder. I then cut the exposed wire to just a mm or two. Don't leave too much exposed or it may touch an adjacent wire. I also prefer to use the 21 pin adapter board just in case a decoder gets zapped. The loko in the first picture is a 3065 which has ESU's keep alive device, so I could not fit the 21 pin adapter to it, not enough room. The second picture is a 3015 converted to a DC motor with a permanent magnet I made. The last three are a 3040.

You can get the shrink at Radio Shack or in bulk at eBay.

Oh yeah, something you will learn the hard way. If the loko uses the bayonet mount lamps and you decide to go to the digital two connector lamp sockets like I did on 3040 below so you will not have "lamp flicker", do not drill out the lamp opening with a standard twist bit drill. It will catch the loko frame openings in the bit spirals and the bit will quickly go on its way damaging whatever it is going to hit. I broke a Br 41 frame this way, loosing the mount for the front truck. Use a reamer and open up the hole with it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2015 15:22:08(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Nice wiring work Matt! I will use your technique next time. It is clean and organized.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline stlcards54  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2015 17:41:28(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
Wow, awesome wiring!! I see you don't have inductors wired to the motors. I did it, but would love not to do it as it makes things more complicated. Is it ok just to leave these off?
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2015 19:28:31(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
My supplier told me they are not needed for ESU decoders. Perhaps M needs them, but ESU does not. I have never lost a decoder because they were not there. I think they cause more harm then good. They make a short to the loko housing more likely and that will most definitely kill a decoder. I lost a decoder in a Br 85 when a motor lead went to ground. The pivoting chassis makes clearance inside the diecast boiler very tight and I had one touch and burn the decoder.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Shamu  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2015 04:30:10(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: stlcards54 Go to Quoted Post
.............. What do people normally use? I used electrical tape, not pretty...........Cursing

A far better alternative than normal electrical tape is "Kaptron Tape", it comes in various widths and is only a few dollars a roll.

Thinner and far stronger than normal electrical tape and is far more stable at high temperatures (up to 400c not that is likely in a loco). Its what the "ribbon cables" for the SDS/C-Sine/coreless motors amongst others are made of.

Just a word of warning, always make sure your hands are clean/grease free when handling to ensure the adhesive is not contaminated.

Its also good for insulating the inside of the loco body.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline PJMärklin  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2015 05:37:25(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stlcards54 Go to Quoted Post
.............. What do people normally use? I used electrical tape, not pretty...........Cursing

A far better alternative than normal electrical tape is "Kaptron Tape", it comes in various widths and is only a few dollars a roll.

Thinner and far stronger than normal electrical tape and is far more stable at high temperatures (up to 400c not that is likely in a loco). Its what the "ribbon cables" for the SDS/C-Sine/coreless motors amongst others are made of.

Just a word of warning, always make sure your hands are clean/grease free when handling to ensure the adhesive is not contaminated.

Its also good for insulating the inside of the loco body.

Hello Shamu,

But heatshrink will give you insulation that is much more tidy taking up less space and is easier to apply - I use heaps of the stuff with conversions/restorations.

Regards,

PJ

Offline Shamu  
#9 Posted : 18 January 2015 05:42:31(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Oh for sure PJ,

I'm a great fan of heat shrink and have/use bucket loads of the stuff.

I was mainly giving what I consider to be the superior alternative to bog standard electrical tape where it is needed.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Shamu