Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gert-Jan  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2015 20:30:26(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Hi everyone,

I have one car from this identical 3 pieces carset, 46900-2.
When it is pulled over a switch, the derails on the rear bogey (with the pickup shoe)
The rear bogy just twists a few degrees causing a shortcircuit afterwards.

Reason for derailment look like the pickup shoe is pushes the car upwards. The rear bogey might lose grip/track and derail.
The car itself isn't that heavy.
Also, the degree of movement from the rear bogey is very limited compared to the front bogey...but seems fine when pussed downwards over curves by hand.

Question: Any experiences with these cars anyone? I can not imagine it is brought to market this way, designed to derail.

Solution could be a new pickup shoe; Or I could put in additional weight under de car coal load...but it is a work-around to the issue.
Mosty era III DB.
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2015 20:38:48(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Adding additional weight is more common then one might think. There are standards for weights but Marklin does not follow them but at least it is a easy fix. Sometimes the shoe is loo low and adjusting to the correct height works, I had that on a slider under a tender and that took me a while to figure that one out
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2015 21:14:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have one of those Eaos cars, but have not used it yet. There is some circuitry hidden under the coal load, but there should be space to install some additional weight. I guess that you would have to use something that does not conduct electricity, to avoid any possible short of the electronics, but it should not be hard to do. The other possibility is to use current conducting couplers and have the slider on a more stable car.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2015 08:03:20(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I have a Silberling control coach by Märklin. Out of the box it derailed on every turnout when it was pushed.
I adjusted the pressure of the pickup shoe (reduced it, of course) until everything worked - no extra weight needed in that case.
Extra weight will probably also work.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Gert-Jan  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2015 11:04:34(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

I have a Silberling control coach by Märklin. Out of the box it derailed on every turnout when it was pushed.
I adjusted the pressure of the pickup shoe (reduced it, of course) until everything worked - no extra weight needed in that case.
Extra weight will probably also work.

With the 'presumability' that Märklin designed and tested this to work 'as-is' I suppose adjusting the shoe pressure is the first option to try.
I had similar shoe-issue's with my BR 78 loc that simply could not cross a slim turnout. New pickup shoe simply fixed that.

I reckon you just 'bended' the shoe springs a little bit inwards?
Mosty era III DB.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2015 12:00:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Gert-Jan Go to Quoted Post
Yep, bend the ends in the "up" direction (where "up" assumes the car is standing on the track).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Gert-Jan  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2015 13:13:07(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Gert-Jan Go to Quoted Post
Yep, bend the ends in the "up" direction (where "up" assumes the car is standing on the track).

I will try...also giving the bogey more angle movement will help.
Pushing the wires a bit outside give more clearance and prevent that the bogey is twisted out of the rail.

Overall, it is a 'handmade' car seeing how it is constructed.
Gert-Jan attached the following image(s):
car.jpg
Mosty era III DB.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gert-Jan
H0
Offline Gert-Jan  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2015 13:54:32(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Fixed it. The real issue was with the wiring that obstructed the bogey to rotate freely.
The wires are lead through the car's pivot point from the bogey. This must have been stuck somehow.
(I broke the wire anyway and had to re-well it)
Mosty era III DB.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Gert-Jan