Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline shamrock  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2015 18:49:35(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Hello,

This is my first foray into 1 gauge. I am looking at this starter set to begin, 55045: http://www.marklin.com/marklin_pdb.html

My initial inspiration is the layout at Epcot Germany. A little more garden and scenery than large consists or complicated track layout. With the starter set I can immediately purchase the additional track and get to work on the layout. Does anyone have experience with this set or the prior built 55035?

Also, I live in South Florida which does have a good amount of humidity, rain and sun. The subsequent locomotives, controller and powerpack would not remain outside but, of course, the track will. Please reply with any thoughts, concerns or related experience.

Cheers,

Tim
CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2015 20:27:19(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Nice set,Tim.

You may also consider to buy some Maxi tinplate loco's,which fit on the same track.

I bought a Maxi "Rossle" 3-axle steamer,just for the fun of it,and i will buy more Maxi loco's in future,great fun!

And,later on,you could buy some gauge 1 locomotives,if you can find the money!
The 01 in gauge 1 is a stunner!

Cheers,
Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline shamrock  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2015 01:25:25(UTC)
shamrock

United States   
Thank you for the thumbs up, Paul. I have indeed looked at MAXI loco's and coaches/wagons which are priced well and have fun colors which may look great outside. At this point, I don't envision needing a large collection for outside or complicated track plan as I will continue HO indoors.

There are some amazing models in 1 that would be a nice compliment in the future. Just a couple and I would be set. ; )

Here is one used example on ebay now that is stunning but more moderate:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item27f66f599d

And of course, what good dreams are made of, a BR 01 55901:

http://www.marklin.com/marklin_pdb.html

Cheers,

Tim

Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Nice set,Tim.

You may also consider to buy some Maxi tinplate loco's,which fit on the same track.

I bought a Maxi "Rossle" 3-axle steamer,just for the fun of it,and i will buy more Maxi loco's in future,great fun!

And,later on,you could buy some gauge 1 locomotives,if you can find the money!
The 01 in gauge 1 is a stunner!

Cheers,
Paul.
CS2/C-Track digital turnouts/Collection back to 1948/Current favorites on track: KPEV T16.1 37166, BR 53 37024, Ae 6/6 11453, Krok 39560
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2015 09:37:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: shamrock Go to Quoted Post
And of course, what good dreams are made of, a BR 01 55901:

You could also look at a KM1 BR 01, which I can personally vouch for as a superb locomotive.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/K...rklin-Kiss-/171494082523

I had mine at a recent MRR exhibition we held here in NZ, every time we ran it with the cylinder smoke turned on, crowds gathered and out came the cameras.

Here's a small video of it and other G1 trains we ran during the exhibition.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2015 09:43:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
As for running G1 tracks outside, I would suggest that you contact forum member Per Aagren Purellum Offline as he has lots of experience in running G1 outdoors.
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2015 09:49:28(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Thanks BD, unfortunately Majhost.com where I have my pictures are down at the moment.

I would however not recommend an expensive loco for a garden layout, start small.

It takes a LOT OF WORK to make a good outdoor layout, so make sure you know what you want before you start.

More later.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline witzlerh  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2015 15:44:09(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Kalmbach has a good book on garden railways. I was considering one until I read it. I do not like gardening and I have winter for 4 months of the year so decided to stay indoors. Florida is another story!

The book talks a lot about issues that prototype railways have. There is a good section on how you need your track ballast to be well drained. You need to keep good watch on your grades and finally, the track structure must be strong enough to stand on.

I am not sure if the Marklin 1 gauge track performs well outside but I think that it should. My concern is not the rails but the ties. Both Marklin and LGB use plastic ties but the LGB has excellent UV resistance. Hopefully someone's can chime in as to the 1scale track.

2 layouts that I saw that had 1 gauge running had the famous LGB track. It is the same official gauge (distance between rails) as one gauge. Just don't use the smallest radius LGB curves. It looks too sharp and some of the 1 gauge rolling stock has minimum radius limitations.

The last big issue is electrical transmission. The track will move around a lot more than a typical HO layout due to temperature and walking on it and so there is more chance of loss of power on the rails. Again, research this, as many will have good suggestions as to how to manage this issue.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline gcanton  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2015 21:35:04(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
I have used Marklin track outside and the track was robust but the turnouts were less successful. Being stainless steel it needs minimal cleaning and often I go went in the spring and just ran it. When I moved the track I replaced it with Aristocraft Stainless Steel which is chunkier, accepts G Scale wheels if required but again it is turnouts that are the weakest link. Either rubbish jamming the mechanism or springs rusting. Stainless steel is a pain to solder but possible and railclamps mean you can solder to easier materials. Outside means long trains are possible but you need to be more careful of lubrication or overheated axleboxes will visit followed by cooked electronics. I use a Ecos and digital and it works well. Sound can be an issue as dirty contact that is not too visible in running causes sound blips. I find 4 trains easily run off the Ecos with smoke without a booster. It is immensely satisfying when you are out with friends in the summer and the winter is for buildings, planning, servicing. I run Maxi and 1. Indoors you will run short trains relatively slowly, outside long and fast with a gentle hand on the brakes!

So I would say go for it, I'm in the UK so weather is changeable. Piko buildings survive well, Marklin ones a bit fragile/fancy.

It is very different to modelling as it is more running a railway with ganger duties to check for vegetation and debries on the track before running and the ground moves a bit too.

So I would go for it if seeing trains in the wild appeals, if a miniature wonderland then best indoors. And I really hate the Happy Meal scenery beloved of some G scale modellers but thats just me. Let me know if you have any questions though. Maxi decoders are a bit rough but a HO lokpilot will upgrade for hauling 3-4 items of stock and branchline trains cheaply.

Graham
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gcanton
Offline Nielsenr  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2015 05:46:31(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Hey Tim,

Contact me when you get a chance. I have a layout to show you in G scale. And another friend has G scale on a patio and we will be putting one in his back yard in the hear future.

Robert
Offline TouchCab  
#10 Posted : 16 March 2015 22:46:07(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
I'm late to the party, but here's my 2 cents worth:

For outside use - especially in humid climate - consider LGB track or steel (Aristocraft or similar).
Also, if it's just a side show to your H0 and you're in the US, take a look at MTH One Gauge. The models are sturdy but nice, and they are built for sharp curves. The Euro brands mostly require fairly large curve radii. MTH is reasonably priced too, and even better when you don't have to ship across the water.

Jens
Best regards,
Jens
---
This account is no longer active
Offline TouchCab  
#11 Posted : 16 March 2015 23:00:08(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Here's a small video of it and other G1 trains we ran during the exhibition.

Nice video ThumpUp
Was that a Lematec TEE whizzing about?

Jens

Best regards,
Jens
---
This account is no longer active