Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2015 06:21:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello,

many of you know that I don't hesitate to be vocal when a model does not deliver on features or on rendition.
Today's rant is a little different. It has to do with minor damage on new arrivals that may or may be not the result of shipping damage.

Over the past month, I have received several models that each had a little damage, but not to the extent that I could likely file a claim with the post office.

In one case, a Kombimodell container car arrived from a Swiss dealer with slight damage to the box and to the inner packaging. Upon closer examination, I noted that the railing at one end of the car was broken. The damage had likely been caused by contact between the car and the plastic pieces used to hold the car in place. The problem with filing a claim was that the dealer claimed to have shipped the item earlier and it had been returned, and I cannot prove that the damage occurred during the successful delivery or during the earlier attempt. I have contacted the manufacturer and asked whether the railing is available as a replacement part.

In one of the other instances, I ordered a Roco e-shop item from my Canadian Roco dealer. the package arrived with no signs of damage, but I very quickly noted that part of the fine details of the car chassis was broken. I have no idea how this happened, but the packaging seems ill-fitted in the Fleischmann type plastic box and is bulging out at the middle. There is no damage to the shipping box, so no claim with the Post Office likely. I will contact the dealer to discuss this matter.

My third problem was a SBB EWIV pilot coach ordered from a Swiss shop on Ricardo. the coach arrived in good condition, but the end light reversal was not working. I don't feel like paying $50 to send it back and will likely send it to my Canadian Roco dealer for repairs at my cost. I figure it will be less than $50. Likely the little pivoting trigger that causes the lights to change is out of alignment/position. My attempts at repair have not been successful.

What do you do when there are minor damages to new arrivals?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2015 09:31:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Just yesterday I noticed that my recently bought CFL coal wagon set had one small step broken off from the end of one of the wagons. I found the step in the box so it's unlikely it came off from from my handling it. I will attempt to glue it back on.

The way models are packed in their boxes does not protect them from damage caused by high impact forces from excessively poor handling, so there is a certain inevitability that damage will occur to a percentage of our models received in the post. To prevent this either the packaging needs to be bulletproof or the details less delicate, but we are unlikely to see manufacturers changing their methods at this time.

The only way round this is to only buy from bricks and mortar shops, but this is getting harder to do as we all get more and more addicted to buying online.

I'm afraid we will have to accept that some damage will be inevitable and either live with the damage or attempt our own repairs.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Mark_1602  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2015 19:20:31(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi Ray,

Were the CFL wagons packed in styrofoam, or was there an individual box with a plastic inset for each wagon? I remember that a German Märklin dealer once told me that plastic packaging material was not safe and that they'd received damaged US freight cars from Märklin. That shop is only about 3 hours from Göppingen, so the cars can't have broken as a result of transport. I myself have used the German Post Office (DHL) many times to post items that I have sold on Ebay.de, and so far there hasn't been any damage. The newer plastic US freight cars made by Märklin/Trix aren't very sturdy, like the CFL coal wagons, so they should be packed in a styrofoam inset with cutouts. That's what the Märklin dealer told me.

We'd all like to have detailed models, but obviously they're more fragile. Another thing you might do is to send a message to Märklin's customer service through their website to ask them if they can help. I'm sure they'll tell you to send the damaged car to Göppingen, where it will probably be repaired for free and posted back to you free of charge. You'll just have to pay to send it to them, for example by registered letter. I have read in a German forum that Märklin might even repair items for free if the owner accidentally damages them, but don't ask me for the link because I don't remember which thread it was in. In your case, the item was damaged when you received it, so it's a warranty case. Another thing I've read is that in Germany you can send parcels to Märklin for free if you just give them to GLS. I don't know if they do that outside Germany, though. Probably not, but in general their customer service is pretty good.

Best regards, Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2015 14:44:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: M-Classics Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ray,

Were the CFL wagons packed in styrofoam, or was there an individual box with a plastic inset for each wagon? I remember that a German Märklin dealer once told me that plastic packaging material was not safe and that they'd received damaged US freight cars from Märklin. That shop is only about 3 hours from Göppingen, so the cars can't have broken as a result of transport. I myself have used the German Post Office (DHL) many times to post items that I have sold on Ebay.de, and so far there hasn't been any damage. The newer plastic US freight cars made by Märklin/Trix aren't very sturdy, like the CFL coal wagons, so they should be packed in a styrofoam inset with cutouts. That's what the Märklin dealer told me.

We'd all like to have detailed models, but obviously they're more fragile. Another thing you might do is to send a message to Märklin's customer service through their website to ask them if they can help. I'm sure they'll tell you to send the damaged car to Göppingen, where it will probably be repaired for free and posted back to you free of charge. You'll just have to pay to send it to them, for example by registered letter. I have read in a German forum that Märklin might even repair items for free if the owner accidentally damages them, but don't ask me for the link because I don't remember which thread it was in. In your case, the item was damaged when you received it, so it's a warranty case. Another thing I've read is that in Germany you can send parcels to Märklin for free if you just give them to GLS. I don't know if they do that outside Germany, though. Probably not, but in general their customer service is pretty good.

Best regards, Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark.

The four wagons in the set came in a styrofoam insert, so the damage was not due to the plastic liners in this case.

As the missing part is very small and hardly visible I won't bother to send this wagon all the way back to Germany which would entail a round trip of at least 6 weeks, exposing the wagon to potentially worse damage in transit.

I'll try to glue it back on, but if this is unsuccessful I'll just use it as it is and probably forget the part is misssing after a week or two!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Jay  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2015 16:01:38(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi,
Due to customer demand for detail rather than durability,this is going to be an ongoing problem.
I for one prefer a compromise,do away with very fine detail where its going to be delicate to the point
where, if it ever does arrive intact its only good for the vitrine, and only have it where it would be durable.
I'm afraid I know this is a very controversial topic.Maybe as delicate as some of our models.:-).Please
do not shoot me.
Jay
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jay
Offline Token  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2015 08:48:21(UTC)
Token

Australia   
I have found the packaging for the car carriers such as Maerklin 46121 and 46131 of a very poor design, allowing the wagons too much movement when in the box.

Maerklin 46131

I have received similar wagons from different dealers and unless they are packed in Styrofoam such as Maerklin 46122 (pictured below), they arrive frequently with broken hinges, rails and mountings. Cursing

Maerklin 46122

A very disappointing experience given these are lovely models when they are in good condition - Come on M, please sort it out!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Token
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2015 14:55:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Token Go to Quoted Post
I have found the packaging for the car carriers such as Maerklin 46121 and 46131 of a very poor design, allowing the wagons too much movement when in the box.

Maerklin 46131

I have received similar wagons from different dealers and unless they are packed in Styrofoam such as Maerklin 46122 (pictured below), they arrive frequently with broken hinges, rails and mountings. Cursing

Maerklin 46122

A very disappointing experience given these are lovely models when they are in good condition - Come on M, please sort it out!

Ooh eer ... and they have announced two sets of unloaded wagons, and two sets with vehicles in the new items ... Blushing
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Token  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2015 14:06:08(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Yes indeed - I would tend to go for the car load as they seem to be better packed in styro as above.
Offline PhillipL  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2015 03:07:56(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I have been having the same issues with Piko and Roco freight cars. Each time I receive an order at I find at least one wheel set loose or pieces loose in the box. I have been lucky that I have been able to repair the cars without much trouble. I think the problem, for me is that I have to mail order everything and the damage occurs during the shipping. Years ago I could just pop into my local hobby shop and buy it off the shelf.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2015 08:10:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
I think the problem, for me is that I have to mail order everything and the damage occurs during the shipping.
The problem is that many dealers do not pack things properly (put the items in at the bottom of the box and at 20 cm cushion on top - 10 cm cushion at bottom and 10 cm at top would do a better job).

Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
Years ago I could just pop into my local hobby shop and buy it off the shelf.
And how do items get into the shop? In a parcel.
Factories usually show more effort when packing parcels.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Token  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2015 08:43:03(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Hi Tom,

I'd accept that but for the fact there was absolutely no damage to the packaging at all. Usually when a dealer packs poorly, it is evident when you see the condition of the parcels that arrive in addition to the manufacturers packaging however, in my case, the packaging was in mint condition.

I have to conclude it is the design of the manufacturers packaging in this instance which causes me more concern due to the amount of movement possible by the wagon with the packaging closed. I do know M have striven to improve this over time but occasionally without success as they must also balance the cost.

The issue here appears to be the high quality of the model has resulted in a number of fragile parts which can too easily become dislodged in transit.

Regards,

Michael.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 10 February 2015 11:18:43(UTC)
H0

Hi, Michael!
I'd accept that but for the fact there was absolutely no damage to the packaging at all. Usually when a dealer packs poorly, it is evident when you see the condition of the parcels that arrive in addition to the manufacturers packaging however, in my case, the packaging was in mint condition.
I can only speak for the parcels I received. Yes, sometimes the parcel box shows no damage, the loco box shows no damage, still the loco is damaged.
I've seen this with Roco, with Piko, with Märklin. In all cases there was insufficient (IMHO) cushioning between loco box and parcel box.
Yes, Märklin boxes normally do a better job than Roco boxes. Most Piko boxes are quite good, but the box for the BR 185.2 has a built-in "razor" for the small antennae on the roof.

I have to conclude it is the design of the manufacturers packaging in this instance which causes me more concern due to the amount of movement possible by the wagon with the packaging closed.
The packaging from the manufacturers vary - and dealers should take that into account when packing parcels. Too often they don't.

Brick and mortar shops also get the products in parcels. Large and heavy parcels usually are not being thrown or dropped, so maybe they have fewer problems with damages.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline MalinAC  
#13 Posted : 10 February 2015 13:12:02(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Well so far I have been fortunate in that I never had damaged goods from dealers or private sellers. One thing I found is that German dealers always seem to pack in oversized boxes and are the best packers bar none. I guess they feel a bigger box than is called for is safer than having unhappy clients with damaged goods. Long may it be so. Take care Eddie BigGrin BigGrin ThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MalinAC